shape
carat
color
clarity

Trusting in his good taste..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ashby

Rough_Rock
Hi girls!
Just wondering..
everyone here seems to know so much about exactly what sort of ring they want, what setting, etc - I don''t even know what an Ascher (eh? I can''t even spell it right) is!! Is anyone else leaving it up to their boyfriends to pick out a ring for them? I think my bf''s proved to have good taste in the past, I''m not incredibly fussy, and I''m sure I''ll love anything he gets, but the practicality of picking out your own ring does sound very wise! I''d love to hear from anyone who''s men picked out rings for them or who are leaning towards that direction...

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I hate to tell you, but now that you''ve found pricescope.com, you will influence your boyfriend''s diamond-buying decision! You just can''t help it after looking at pictures and reading about what makes a good diamond. Conversations will begin with phrases such as, "You know what I saw on that diamond site today?..." and for a while he''ll roll his eyes and say he wants to surprise you and take care of it on his own. Then eventually he, like the rest of our men, will come around when he realizes how much money you''ll save him in the long run -- not to mention how much more beautiful an e-ring he will have purchased, thanks to all your help.

Sorry, but once you''re here -- you''re hooked!

klr

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Miss Ashby...I am in the same boat! Or at least I was
31.gif
my SO wanted it to be traditonal and surprise, just like he is. However I asked him how would he feel if after I got the ring I changed the setting? He told me he would kill me and these things never ever get changed (I guess no upgrade for KayKay). So now I at least get veto power and I am trying to steer him towards a few vendors here on PS that I am fond of. It took a heart to heart and alot of biting our tounges. I am not for surprises and I am jsut slightly obbesive about things and he really wants this to be his moment as do I. In the end we have both realized that it is our ring, not just his question to me and not just my shiny to wear everyday for the rest of my life. So now I can babble abit about rings. But I dont get final decision. (Unless of course I can find the perfect stone here on PS
27.gif
) Cant stop a girl from trying!
12.gif
11.gif
12.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with heart. Once you get started on PS, you get hooked, and it''s not a bad thing. PS really helped me. I''ve been learning so much about diamonds. It is really going to help me when my SO and I purchase a ring. We are currently in the process too. But we decided to work on this ring together. Like Matatora said, it is OUR ring, not just his to give or mine to wear.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I agree with it being "our ring" ... well said!!! klr

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few reasons why I now want to have input. (Until my mid-twenties I assumed I would be surprised.) BTW my "input" is a combination of telling him and my best friend what I like/want. We do not plan on actually shopping together. We decided that that plan is a "happy medium" which works for us.

I am someone who LOVES surprises - as long as I am happy with the surprise! So, I don't want to know when he has the ring, and I want to be truly surprised when he asks, but I do not want the entire ring design to be a surprise.

I am very particular when it comes to jewelry, and I know MUCH more than he does about metals, designs, minimums I like in diamonds, etc. I love looking at and learning about jewelry, he just wants me to love the ring. So, I do the research, give him guidelines, and off he goes!

My boyfriend has decent taste, but as I said, I am particular. I want to love the ring. I want to happily wear it forever. There are billions of designs out there, how could I possibly expect him to find mine? The chances of him buying my "dream ring" without any input is virtually nonexistent.

Additionally, I have become someone (with him) who feels truly comfortable speaking my mind and expressing my wants. I feel like a ring with my input is a very tangible representation of the strides I've made. (I know, I know, putting too much into a simple ring...)

It truly is personal preference. The others were right, though, this place is ADDICTIVE!
9.gif

Munckin

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I was with you ashby. My husband picked out my ring all by himself, with no hands-on input by me. I sent him pictures and told him what styles I liked, and passed on the most important PS knowledge I''d gathered - Cut is king, I personally don''t care about Carat, Clarity should be eye-clean but no more if necessary, and Color should be eye-white.

In the end, I told him I wanted a simple RB solitaire or a setting with some embellishment (pave, engraving, channel-set sidestones, etc), and he got me the ring of my dreams, an off-center pear with accent RB (see my avatar). Nothing like I thought I wanted, but exactly what I would have chosen if I''d known it existed, and it is OUR ring, not mine or his alone.

You trust your boyfriend''s judgement, he''s given you beautiful gifts in the past, you''re not particular about the ring you get, so I think you should let him pick it for you. If you both want, you can go shopping together to see what kinds of rings you both like on your hand too - that''s the fun part! (And an Asscher is a square step-cut stone, like the emerald cut. Royal Asscher is a branded cut, while square emeralds mimic the look of the RA very well without the premium.)

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Quite frankly, even if I hadn''t found pricescope, I still would''ve had influence over my ring. I think it is up to your comfort level and both of your personalities to figure our the right balance.

I am a very picky person, and not that I don''t trust him....its just easier for both of us if I have some say in it. He has openly said he''d be worried about finding something I wouldnt like or getting ripped off. And while anything he got me I''m sure I''d love at first, I want my ring to be something permanent, I don''t want upgrades or to change the setting. I want the first one to be the one, barring any sort of damage. Our plan is that I''ll have some influence in choosing the center stone and style but that the ultimate decisions (like if he''s deciding between multiple stones or settings) and when rings were ready and when purchases were made would be kept secret from me. If its actually kept secret from me, that would be a feat. I''m a pretty hard person to hide things from and I''m pretty good at finding things out
1.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Well, have you thought about doing a mix? Maybe go ring shopping together and see what settings you like. That will give you guys an idea of what looks good on your hand. Then, you can steer him towards some vendors you like (that won''t rip him off either!) so then you''ll know that you''ll get one of several settings you like and that he won''t get ripped off. Then you get a semi-surprise :)

ashby

Rough_Rock
Thanks lovely ladies, for your helpful advice! You''re all so knowledgeable, and your rings are soooo beautiful!
It''s wonderful to have found this site, I''ve found it VERY therapeutic. Instead of nagging at my boyfriend - subtly, of course! - I can come here and satisfy my engagement excitement/impatience.
Well, in terms of the ring, I have been doing what some of you have recommended and been looking with him a little bit (when he''s a receptive enough mood for hints!) and it''s been lots of fun. The final decision will still be his, though, so fingers crossed!
Oh yes, one more thing: sizing - does it weaken the band if you have to get it resized after you buy?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Aww Ashby you are so sweet. I am
11.gif
and I am on PS all the time and still no so subtly nag Jeffrey....I cant help he wont dish.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my sister told here then fiance she wanted a 1 carat RB. He did the rest and she LOVES what he chose. He purchased a 1 carat Round like she wanted and then chose a setting with channel set sidestones and a matching wedding band and she loves it because he chose it with her in mind. I on the other hand am much more picky and hubby knows this
2.gif
9.gif
we bought my original ring together so he wants to purchase my new stone all by himself. I have to trust him (and send him links to the stones I like
2.gif
). But I get to pick the setting. He alreaady knows what I want but would need by wedding band to have the ering made to match.

Anyway, you might want to start looking to see if any particular style stands out. do you have a preference in what your center stone will be? You''re going to be wearing for a very long time and theirs nothing wrong with looking and giving you bf ideas of what you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results