shape
carat
color
clarity

Tropical storm (Fay) and PCs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a tropical storm coming to our area (South Florida).

Would you turn off and unplug your PC, equipment, etc.?

I'm always careful, but I am confused as to whether this should be done for any storm or if only for electrical storms. And is there a way to know if it will be an electrical storm or does ANY storm have the potential for thunder?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t really thought about it. Everything but my computer (of course) is plugged into a surge protector. Where in Fl are you? I think the west coast has a little more to worry about.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surge protectors are never usually powerful enough to protect your equipment...best protection is to actually unplug it from the wall.

I''m on the East coast.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
LOL... I wish I could explain my FFIL to you. If you could see the surge protectors we have you would understand. His knowledge of electronics is frightning. He lost a TV to a lightning strike about 3 years ago... he actually convinced Samsung that it was something wrong with the TV and received a brand new TV. I'm still in shock!
In short though. I will probably switch my plug to the TV surge protector, not worth the risk to me. Where are you in FL?

ETA~ East coast... Us too. We should be fine, have you lived in FL long?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, OK, that's a different story, then! haha We have a MONSTER surge protector for the TV (I mean the thing is like 3 feet long and I don't remember how many joules it has, but it is POWERFUL). We have "regular" surge protectors for my PCs that I will definitely be upgrading - I'm actually even thinking of buying a UPS (keeps the PC going so you can turn it off properly).

I'm in West Palm Beach...we've been here a little over 2 years. You?

I hear the thunder! I'm telling you...NOT safe for equipment. We never think it's going to happen to us...but...

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
West Palm too! It doesn''t look like we are going to get a break here. I was raised in Vero and have lived in Ft Laudy, Delray and now West Palm. I''ve been here for 15 years and seen lots worse. I watched Wilma rip the hurricane shutters off my oceanfront penthouse in Delray 3 years ago... Not fun at all! It seems like you''ve missed all the fun from 3 years ago. This shouldn''t be that big of a deal. Are you in a house or apt?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I DID miss all the fun! haha Let''s not jinx ourselves now!
3.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
It will happen again... it''s inevitable. This just isn''t the storm to do it! Thank God for that. I''m just hoping that the ocean calms down before Friday so I can still go to the Bahamas! LOL
How do you like West Palm? And where were you before here?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:17:55 AM
Author:claudinam
We have a tropical storm coming to our area (South Florida).

Would you turn off and unplug your PC, equipment, etc.?

I''m always careful, but I am confused as to whether this should be done for any storm or if only for electrical storms. And is there a way to know if it will be an electrical storm or does ANY storm have the potential for thunder?
Hi Claud
35.gif

Is your PC plugged into a surge protector (oh man is that what they are called
emembarrassed.gif
LOL)? I think that for safety you can unplug it when it gets really bad.

I have my laptop plugged in but I unplugged everything else JIC.

(Also, have you been watching the news? Is it just me or are they making a huge deal? Fox hasn''t played anything else all day today)

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I refuse to watch fox, but yah they always make a big deal no matter the size of the storm. This is a baby! LOL
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I know. I mentioned on another thread yesterday that Floridians appreciate a Cat 1 and TS as an opportunity to stay home from work
3.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Heck ya we do! It''s like a snow day! I used to love this when I was in High School. I remember my Mom being out of town when a storm was coming and I went home and told my nanny that I didn''t have to go to school the next day and she didn''t believe me. I was right though... 3 days off from school!

Gotta love the little storms, and partially bc my grass really needed water! LOL

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It can''t hurt to unplug everything- even if you have a surge protector.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Claudinam!~!!
I live only an hour away from Palm Beach, I think surge protectors and bring in the pants and you should be ok.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Hummm I see that there is a number of south Florida Ps members on here. Maybe we should have a mini Ps get together sometime!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope and pray you all are safe!!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, guys!
35.gif

I'm in Southcentral PA, but my Dad and Stepmom live in Fort Myers. I think Dad usually unplugs all his stuff, just to be safe. Of course, when they first moved down there, they were laughing at all the people who have generators for when the power goes out due to tropical storms/hurricanes. Well, guess who recently purchased a shiny new generator?!?! LOL!
2.gif

Stay safe, everybody!
40.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey neighbors! And thanks Skippy and Irish for the safe wishes!

I unplugged my PCs for a while, scanner, etc. I don't mess around. But that's probably because I'm not a "seasoned" South Floridian like you guys are!

And macie, I brought my plants in yesterday...and a mini PS get-together might be something to plan indeed!

Irish, my DH and I are SO the kind of people to have like a KICK-A@@ generator! We just haven't gotten around to it yet haha

ETA: fiery and crooked - I agree that storms in FL = snow days in NY. It's just nice to have those stormy/gray days sometimes - something so cozy about them. I used to LOOOOOOVE snow days in NY.
2.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Generators are awesome
16.gif

So are grills
36.gif

Thanks for the well wishes
30.gif

We should have a mini PS GTG
36.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2008 5:08:46 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Generators are awesome
16.gif

So are grills
36.gif

30.gif

36.gif
Yes! We LOVE ours (we have a KICK-A@@ grill ahaha) And what I ESPECIALLY love about it is that by magic, the task of grilling has fallen squarely on DH''s shoulders. hehe
12.gif
So I get to make a side dish and he makes the meat.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Wow! I did not realize there were so many South Floridians on this board. I am down here too. I really think that there are a lot of Californians on here...

I don''t think the storm is too bad and may not be any worse than those few storms last week and the week before. Our wedding was right after Wilma - that was a storm. I am debating to venture to the gym, but I fear the drivers that get nervous when it starts drizzling.

And yes, the reporters are having a field day. They have been on this storm all day. If there is a slight gust of wind, they will let you know. There was a SNL (I think it was SNL) skit like that a few years back. I guess better safe than sorry...

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
stupid storm, still only a tropical storm, people are at walmart running around like crazy people...when its a category 4... or a hurricane for that matter i might get a wee bit worried...the really bad storms were 4 years ago.. i remember i was pissed because i lost power for a week which meant no olyimpics and a melted oreo mcflurry in my freezer...

oh and im in orlando :)

oh and fiery, my BFs school stuff was cancelled till friday...just ridiculous

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
It seems many of us are an hour or so from West Palm... is a GTG in order??

By the way this storm is a wimp so far, we''ll see what tonight brings!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
merri, I watch SNL all the time. hehe Where in South Florida are you? How long have you been here?

bunny - my sister lives in Kissimmee. I didn''t leave my home/office all day today (well, except for the NECESSITIES - bagel and coffee
37.gif
) but I can just imagine all the people at Walmart.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
we had maybe one storm today all of like 10 mins maybe? nothing big, I was expecting much more, I guess later tonight/early AM we are getting some stuff, I bet Ill sleep through the entire thing...
9.gif

I just dont get it, I mean we saw this one woman with like 8 packs of water....seriously 8 24 packs?!?!?!? I could totally understand if it was atleast a hurricane, but people just go a tad overboard... we were there to get some paint to touch up our walls, and we were just like geeez ridiculous

The only thing I do when a storm comes is go park my car by a really big tree... hahahahaha
11.gif
11.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2008 5:11:42 PM
Author: claudinam

Date: 8/18/2008 5:08:46 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Generators are awesome
16.gif

So are grills
36.gif

30.gif

36.gif
Yes! We LOVE ours (we have a KICK-A@@ grill ahaha) And what I ESPECIALLY love about it is that by magic, the task of grilling has fallen squarely on DH''s shoulders. hehe
12.gif
So I get to make a side dish and he makes the meat.
Oh, I hear ya! You guys should see my Dad''s new grill!!!
6.gif

I think it must be a Florida thing: "Thou shalt own an awesome generator, and a grill to match!" LOL!
2.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Just a lil update from South Florida...

Nothing too bad where I am at. The pool is about to overflow from all the rain, but no biggie. West of me out in Wellington def took a hit by some tornados. So if any of you are out there, I hope you made it through safely.

How about the rest of you down in Miami and up in Orlando?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Great to hear everything went well for you CR!

Everything here (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami) went well also. Lots of rain and flooding but nothing major.
I did meet our new neighbor yesterday. He noticed my FI’s car wasn’t there so he came to tell me to hide in the bathroom if I hear a train like noise headed toward the house
16.gif
. Which of course freaked me out and I was on the phone with my poor FI telling him to hurry up
32.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irish, you crack me up!

Nothing too bad here either! Rain, wind, but not much more.

Fiery, that was funny about the train-like noise.

Be safe everyone.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
no problems here in orlando yet but i just looked at the weather and we''ve only gotten the outer bands so far..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results