shape
carat
color
clarity

Troops killed in Afghanistan

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We found out this morning that the 12 Marines and 1 Navy Medic killed in the blasts yesterday were from our neighboring base. So sad, I can't imagine being one of those wives getting the news.

Even though it was the work of terrorists, many there will blame the U.S. now, as reported by journalists, see quote below from an Afghani to a reporter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/recaps...out-of-there/ar-AANOdqz?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
An Afghani man who had been waiting outside the airport with his wife and three children to evacuate

"I will never, ever want to go (to the airport) again. Death to America, its evacuation and visas," he said."​

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so sad , I’m so sorry for your base. I thought of the pictures the day before when they were all standing along the fence and trying to help people. True hero’s.
42FFAF02-BFD2-4059-98D4-3EE10DBD8E27.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just heartbreaking. A few of the soldiers were just 20 years old. I can’t imagine the pain the families are experiencing, but I’m feeling quite a bit myself.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. I don’t even know what to say. Other than “This is NOT okay”. Those are such pointless, empty, insufficient words.

What can we laypeople do to help? Does anyone have recommendations? This whole - area - is very unfamiliar to me. I don’t know how to help and I don’t trust blogs that link to fund registries.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
We found out this morning that the 12 Marines and 1 Navy Medic killed in the blasts yesterday were from our neighboring base. So sad, I can't imagine being one of those wives getting the news.

Even though it was the work of terrorists, many there will blame the U.S. now, as reported by journalists, see quote below from an Afghani to a reporter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/recaps...out-of-there/ar-AANOdqz?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
An Afghani man who had been waiting outside the airport with his wife and three children to evacuate

"I will never, ever want to go (to the airport) again. Death to America, its evacuation and visas," he said."​

Terrible tragedy. Just an awful situation.
Though we have evacuated around 80,000 people in the largest airlift in history. https://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/national/19537413.happening-afghan-evacuations/

He was probably too terrified to actually say who is truly at fault and that the Taliban couldn't protect them- like they said they would. None of the people there are going to readily accuse anyone in their vicinity of anything. It's death if they do. It's safe to curse America. The Afghan military decided to leave defense and control of the country in the hands of the Taliban when they laid down their arms instead of using the twenty years of training and infrastructure support we provided because tribalism is more important. I can't imagine the level of frustration that caused for many. Just the hopelessness.
It's terrible that so many innocent people are paying the price.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sh!t show! :blackeye:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I dread to think what's coming next......

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What can we laypeople do to help? Does anyone have recommendations?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/21/how-to-help-afghan-refugees/

How to help Afghan refugees and those trapped during the Taliban takeover​

As militants crowded Kabul streets, thousands of Afghans and people who support them have tried to board flights to escape Taliban rule — but not all have been successful.
The result has been a crisis marked by displacement within the country and abroad. According to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), nearly 400,000 people have been forced from their homes since the beginning of the year. They joined 2.9 million Afghans who already have been displaced across the country since the end of 2020.

“We are seeing large-scale displacement in what is now a humanitarian emergency,” Christopher Boian, a senior communications officer for the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, told The Washington Post this week.

Afghanistan’s neighbors and countries around the world are bracing for a large-scale refugee crisis — one especially affecting women and girls who are fleeing for fear that the group’s assumption of power will bring a swift end to their rights.

As the situation has escalated, organizations have launched initiatives to aid refugees. Some are providing aid to those remaining in the country, while others are helping Afghans resettling in the United States. Here’s how you can help.

For those in Afghanistan​

The International Rescue Committee is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to aiding people displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. The organization has worked in Afghanistan since 1988, providing “displaced families with shelter, clean water, sanitation and other basic necessities,” according to its website, as well as education and cash assistance. The organization is accepting financial contributions for its relief efforts.

The International Medical Corps has operated in Afghanistan since 1984, providing medical training and services in the country. It is accepting donations to its emergency relief fund.
Pentagon hints at more rescues outside Kabul airport, amid new security concerns and evacuation bottleneck
Women for Women International — a nonprofit that aids female survivors of war and conflict — established an emergency campaign in Afghanistan. According to its website, one donor is matching up to $500,000 in contributions for that program.

Women for Afghan Women, the “largest women’s organization in Afghanistan,” according to its website, is also accepting donations to help provide “safe shelter, resources, and aid to the thousands of women, children, families, and staff.”

The Child Foundation, which helps impoverished children access education, created the Afghanistan Crisis Fund for Emergency Assistance in the Balkh province, where about 800 children supported by the foundation live. According to its website, it has raised $15,000 to feed 300 families. The organization is accepting contributions.

Suneeta’s husband, an interpreter for U.S. forces, disappeared in 2013. She made it to Albany, N.Y., as a refugee, but her four children are stuck in Kabul. (Jon Gerberg/The Washington Post)
GlobalGiving, a crowdfunding network that connects nonprofits to donors, launched the Afghanistan Emergency Fund to support families, activists and journalists who are “particularly at risk.” It said donations for this initiative will be distributed to GlobalGiving’s local partners in the country.

In partnership with Afghan Journalists Safety Committee, International Media Support is collecting donations to protect journalists who remain in Afghanistan, providing shelter, food and support.

Also aiding members of the news media, the Committee to Protect Journalists is providing resources to Afghan journalists and urging the United States to ensure their safety “by facilitating safe passage out of the country and providing emergency visas.” The organization is accepting donations.
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a Washington-based organization that “invests in women leaders who are solving the world’s greatest challenges,” according to its website. It created the Afghan Women’s Fundto support the safety of women’s rights activists in Afghanistan and those who have been evacuated from the country.

Two organizations serving Muslim Americans have launched initiatives to aid displaced families in Afghanistan. Islamic Relief USA is accepting donations to help families struggling with hunger in Kabul, Balkh, Herat and Nangahar provinces. Muslim Aid USA is providing meals and hygiene kits to displaced people in Kabul and Konar province.

For those trying to leave​

No One Left Behind is a U.S.-based nonprofit devoted to “ensuring that America keeps its promise to our allies and their families who risked their lives for our freedom.” The organization aids Afghan interpreters trying to get visas and resettling in the country. It is accepting donations.

Miles4Migrants accepts donated airline frequent flier miles, credit card points and cash to help people reunite with loved ones or resettle in a new country after fleeing their own that’s imperiled by war, persecution or disaster.

Hearts & Homes for Refugees is an advocacy group for people who have Special Immigration Visas, including Afghan translators, engineers, security guards, embassy clerks, logisticians and soldiers who helped the U.S. efforts. It is accepting financial contributions.
Human Rights First is seeking pro bono lawyers to assist Afghan evacuees. The human rights organization is also offering resources to protect Afghans’ online identities from the Taliban — who “now likely to have access to various biometric databases and equipment in Afghanistan, including some left behind by coalition military forces,” according to the group. It is collecting donations for its relief response.

For Afghan refugees coming to the U.S.​

The Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is looking for volunteers to assist Afghan refugees with airport pickups, housing and meals. While efforts are focused on the Washington, D.C., region, Washington state and Texas, individuals can sign up for its general standby list. The group is also accepting donations.

Families evacuated from Afghanistan arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia on Aug. 21.
Church World Service resettlement offices are providing housing, job training and social services to Afghan refugees in the United States. The nonprofit organization is accepting donations, as well as offers of rental units and sponsorships for arriving families. Interested people are asked to email [email protected].

The Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area is looking for volunteers to assist Afghan refugees in Washington. According to its website, the organization has aided 68 families and 294 individuals — it is anticipating another 150 people.
In Virginia, two locations are seeking Pashto and Dari interpreters to assist Afghan refugees: Dulles International Airport and Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale. Interested people are asked to email [email protected] with subject line “Afghan Interpreters.”

The International Rescue Committee’s Phoenix office is looking for volunteers to set up apartments for refugees. The organization’s Denver and Missoula, Mont., offices are seeking people to mentor families by assisting with appointments and helping them acclimate to the United States.

In California, Fremont — home to an Afghan diaspora enclave — is collecting donations to support local charities providing essential items to incoming refugees. In East Bay, Jewish Family and Community Services created an Afghan evacuation effort to help families moving to the community.
Refugee Services of Texas is seeking volunteers to help Afghan refugees with apartment setup, orientation and transportation.
In Philadelphia, the Nationalities Service Center, a refugee resettlement agency, has volunteer opportunities for people welcoming Afghan families into their communities. The agency also established an Amazon Wish List for items to help stock refugees’ homes and is accepting donations. (Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not ignoring this thread...its just that every time I come here I'm at a loss for words. So sad and sickened by the situation. :blackeye:

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
I have been in tears this weekend. One of the boys was from our local area. My oldest daughter went to school with Kareem. Norco is honoring him, Jurupa Valley and Riverside Sheriff honored him and brought the family the flag Saturday morning. You may have seen the videos. Yesterday there was a memorial hike to Pumpkin Rock in Norco and two parades for him and the family.

I cannot imagine the knock at the door x 13. Heartbreaking

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh. He's getting his 15 minutes of fame and maybe even a book deal. I watched his videos a few times. Something is off with that guy -- body language, facial expression, tone. I smell a rat.

Note in the article what he states as his life purpose. Delusions of grandeur perhaps?

And this: “But what I’ll say is, from my position, potentially all those people did die in vain if we don’t have senior leaders that own up and raise their hand and say ‘we did not do this well in the end,’” he said. “Without that we just keep repeating the same mistakes.”

What a slap in the face to the soldiers who died in Afghanistan and to their families -- to say their deaths would be in vain if their commanders did not admit to making mistakes. Any soldier whose life ends while serving is a hero regardless of the ineptitude of military leaders.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh. He's getting his 15 minutes of fame and maybe even a book deal. I watched his videos a few times. Something is off with that guy -- body language, facial expression, tone. I smell a rat.

Note in the article what he states as his life purpose. Delusions of grandeur perhaps?

And this: “But what I’ll say is, from my position, potentially all those people did die in vain if we don’t have senior leaders that own up and raise their hand and say ‘we did not do this well in the end,’” he said. “Without that we just keep repeating the same mistakes.”

What a slap in the face to the soldiers who died in Afghanistan and to their families -- to say their deaths would be in vain if their commanders did not admit to making mistakes. Any soldier whose life ends while serving is a hero regardless of the ineptitude of military leaders.

I agree with all that he said except, I do not agree with his comment about those personnel dieing in vain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results