shape
carat
color
clarity

Trip to Boston, where to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I found out we are going to Boston in October. I have not been there for many years, and do not know the best place to stay. We are going for a wedding that will be in the city of Boston, so want to stay in town. I made a reservation at the Taj Hotel (formerly the old Ritz Carlton) but read some reviews that made it sound like it is run down. Boo!

Any suggestions for a nice hotel???

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, here are a few other thoughts to look at online just for alternatives . . . Boston Harbor Hotel (where DH usually stays in Boston); the XV Beacon; Beacon Hill Hotel; Nine Zero (I think most of these are smaller but have good locations) - good luck and have fun - I love Boston.
1.gif

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for a larger hotel or a smaller one? Are you hoping to stay in the Back Bay/Beacon Hill area?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
A few years ago I got the Marriott Copley Plaza via Priceline. It was great. A friend stayed at the Jury''s hotel nearby and liked it more than mine. Don''t know if either of those meet your needs, but I really liked that the Marriott was connected to everything and close to everything.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
If the Marriott Copley appeals to you, also check out the Westin (neighbors!). Both are really central to a lot of things and both Copley and Prudential T stops are right there, so it makes it fairly easy to get around.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Where exactly is the wedding?
The Boston Harbor Hotel is awesome, and new, which is sorta rare here in Boston, if you want to stay away from older/rehabbed. Then again, the gorgeous Omni Parker House is both the birthplace of the Boston Creme Pie and the site of JFK and Jackie's first date...
ETA and my friend here says that Ho Chi Minh used to wash dishes in the kitchen there, if that sort of thing interests you historically.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I''ll second the Boston Harbor--very nice. The XV Beacon Hotel (pricey $$$) is gorgeous! Marriot is a good choice too w/ all its amenities...a bit cheaper as well.

You''ll be visiting at one of the best times. Check out Salem too if you have some time. They have a bunch of fun stuff going on for the Halloween season.

Enjoy!

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
What a coincidence - we are planning a trip to Boston in September and I was going to see if anyone had any restaurant recommendations. We will be staying at the Omnii Parker House (because of proximity to my fiancee''s business needs) but our evenings are free and I wanted to find some good places for us to dine out.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
OMG please go to the North End. Mamma Mia is supposed to be good but a little pricey, but there are TONS of little hole in the wall Italian places that are to die for. I miss North End so much! And stop by Mike's Pastry while you're there.

For good Chinese, the only place I know of is a bit out of the way - it's on the west end of Boston University's campus at the Harvard Ave stop on the Green B line. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give specific instructions!

Fire and Ice in Cambridge is very popular but can get really packed.

There's a great sushi place near Kenmore Square called Malukken. It's very low-key but has amazing volcano rolls. There are nicer places too - try Shino's on Newbury street. Tiny place but soooo good!

Oh and for contemporary American, both Sonsie's and Stephanie's on Newbury St. are really popular and delicious

Wow I'm getting hungry!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
XV Beacon is very nice but the rooms are on the small side. Maybe the Four Seasons? The Fairmont Copley Plaza is nice too.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When I was living in Kansas City while still working for my Boston-based company for 6 months, I''d come back a couple of times a month and stayed at the Omni Parker House, the Fairmont Copley, Jury''s and Park Plaza.

Omni Parker and Park Plaza both had teeny tiny rooms. I like he location of the Omni Parker house better (if you''re not set on staying in the Back Bay), but I prefered Jury''s and Fairmont Copley more.

I''ve heard mixed reviews of Taj since the change in ownership, but the location is great!

The Back Bay has lots o'' shopping and dining if that''s your priority--whereas hotels near the financial district have better access to multiple lines of the T.

I agree with Brown.Eyed.Girl that Mama Maria''s and Mike''s Pastries are with a trip to the North End. Soooo yummy.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2008 2:26:57 PM
Author: tanuki
What a coincidence - we are planning a trip to Boston in September and I was going to see if anyone had any restaurant recommendations. We will be staying at the Omnii Parker House (because of proximity to my fiancee''s business needs) but our evenings are free and I wanted to find some good places for us to dine out.
Carmen in the North End (North Square) is very cozy and romantic but small (9 tables).
It''s a very authentic North End Italian dining experience. Call for reservations.
Or Scampo at the Liberty Hotel...very active hotel..new hot spot on Saturday nights.

Jeff (Boston area born and raised)

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
The Fairmont Copley Plaza!
I am not loving the customer service at the Taj at the moment. The Park Plaza is pretty run down. The Fairmont Copley Plaza, however, is fantastic. Granted, I may be a BIT biased as I was married there last summer!
36.gif
Stay there and you will be treated well and be in a good, central location in Boston.
Say "Hi" to Catie Copley for me!
Munchkin

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:59:11 PM
Author: Munchkin
The Fairmont Copley Plaza!

I am not loving the customer service at the Taj at the moment. The Park Plaza is pretty run down. The Fairmont Copley Plaza, however, is fantastic. Granted, I may be a BIT biased as I was married there last summer!
36.gif
Stay there and you will be treated well and be in a good, central location in Boston.

Say ''Hi'' to Catie Copley for me!

Munchkin

Isn''t Catie sweet? There''s a huge wait list to get to walk her. I think DH should sign up now that he works down there.

The Park Plaza has mice. Truly. They have for years and can''t seem to take care of the problem. Tea there is nice, but stay elsewhere! The BHH is not close to the Taj, but is very nice and has stunning harbor views.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results