shape
carat
color
clarity

Trillion, Trillian, or Trilliant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen variations and I myself have spelled it three different ways see title - Is one "more" correct?
33.gif
34.gif

ETA: argg - sorry Mods if this needs to be moved to hangout. Thank you.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Trillion cut is the term I use (for those three variations), which refers to a brilliant cut triangle.

The variations of this are a mixed cut (usually brilliant cut crown and step cut pavilion), and step cut triangular (step cut crown and pavilion).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see trillion used most of the time.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought it was "trillion".

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually call it a trillion but understand that many use it interchangeably.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Richard for also clarifying the cuts

Marcy, Kribbie, Chrono- Thanks for confirming, I was going out of my mind by spelling it all three ways...lol

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:12:22 AM
Author: D&T
Thank you Richard for also clarifying the cuts

Marcy, Kribbie, Chrono- Thanks for confirming, I was going out of my mind by spelling it all three ways...lol
My understanding is that the term Trillion is more of a catch-all phrase (Trillian being a variant). I''ve noticed that the trillions refer more generally to triangle cut diamonds with rounded edges, while Trilliant is more specifically to connote triangle cut diamonds with straight edges. The trillion (mixed cutting style w/ rounded edges) is more common than the straight edged styles. They create slightly different visuals, with straight edges being favored more for side stones than center stones.

Sorry, I think that more than you cared to know, lol!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 3:56:30 AM
Author: trillionaire

My understanding is that the term Trillion is more of a catch-all phrase (Trillian being a variant). I've noticed that the trillions refer more generally to triangle cut diamonds with rounded edges, while Trilliant is more specifically to connote triangle cut diamonds with straight edges. The trillion (mixed cutting style w/ rounded edges) is more common than the straight edged styles. They create slightly different visuals, with straight edges being favored more for side stones than center stones.

Sorry, I think that more than you cared to know, lol!
thanks Trill. I figured that one of the "trillions" lol had the more rounded side edges and the other ones had the straighter edged but I didn't know if these words were being used loosely as I was doing so, I am now more aware of the word differences and will be more concienscious of it when referring to the shapes
1.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I tend to use trillion to mean any triangular shaped stone. To me, trillan is either a) a chat program or b) Zaphod Beeblebrox''s girlfriend.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 9:55:44 AM
Author: Kismet
I tend to use trillion to mean any triangular shaped stone. To me, trillan is either a) a chat program or b) Zaphod Beeblebrox''s girlfriend.
lol
9.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/17/2009 11:01:09 PM
Author:D&T
I''ve seen variations and I myself have spelled it three different ways see title - Is one ''more'' correct?

I think the "granddaddy" term originated in the diamond industry and has been modified in usage, as often happens to words. "Trilliant" is a contraction of the words "triangular" and "brilliant." The cut was an attempt to create the brilliance of a round diamond cut in a triangular outline. I believe there was also a "trillion" diamond but I see the name used more often for colored stones.

The thing to keep in mind is the outline shape, no matter what any particular seller may call a cut. Settings for true triangular stones are very different than those designed for the more curved outlines of many "trillions," and usually can''t be used for both shapes. Even generally triangular gems with curved outlines vary in overall proportions so care is required when choosing pre-made calibrated settings.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard,
Thanks for the setting advice. It''s good to know because I''m shopping for a trillion setting. Mine has curved sides.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought it was trilliant, being a tri-sided brilliant (which makes more sense to me), but I think trillion is more commonly used.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
D&T, thanks for asking this, I''ve been wondering too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results