shape
carat
color
clarity

Trillion Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Trillion-Tension

Rough_Rock
I need to rant!
29.gif
We''ve been looking for a trillion diamond now for more than a month. I did lots of lurking on the price scope forum reading every trillion post and link. Most posts about trillions on the forum aren’t current or are 1-2 yrs old. I searched anyway hoping to find any new information on ideal cut proportions for a trillion. I even emailed GIA and AGS to inquire about trillion cuts and there is nothing. They suggest I look at some and pick one that catches my eye.

I have some cut parameters but most online databases don’t show much parameters for a trillion like crown and pavilion angles and the selection is very small. It’s been hard to evaluate them and each one comes in about a week apart. It’s hard to compare them!
26.gif

I’ve looked at 6 diamonds at jewelry stores in my area to decide what I like in parameters but I’m frustrated by their service. I’ve always had to ask for a 10X loop or to use their microscope, and there is nothing white in the store to check color. 4 of the 5 stores said their UV light was broken or one even asked why we would want to check fluorescence. Nobody had an ideal scope or they tried to keep me from using their hearts and arrows scope even after I insisted that I would just like to see it for fun. The diamonds would also be wrapped in a small envelope with the dimensions, color and clarity scribbled in pencil, barely legible. Only one place showed us a GIA certificate. One other place claimed their trillion was graded by AGS but how is that possible when AGS told me they have not released any parameters on trillions! You can’t even find a trillion online with an AGS lab certificate. Which explains the lack of crown and pavilion angles on trillions.
Is this normal sales tactics for jewelers? Not to offer up any instruments or information that will help you decide on what you are buying? It feels so underhanded.
38.gif

2 of the diamonds were the Trielle brand. They were beautiful, symmetrical cuts. But Trielle only makes straight triangles and they are all cut too shallow. I prefer 3.00mm depth at least.

I’m looking for a trillion, a triangle with bowed or round sides. 0.50-0.80 carat, D-H, VS2 or better. Medium-thick girdle, small-no culet, faint to no fluorescence GIA lab. Depth 44-50%, Table 53-64%, crown height above 11 degrees, crown angle between 32-35 degrees. These parameters were recommended by the “Diamond guy.” I would like to know the results if it were run through a diamond calculator.

I’m not sure where to go from here.
20.gif
Should I continue asking jewelers to find trillions for me? I’m still looking for the one that fits my parameters. How can I be more sure of my parameters? And if I find it, how should I assess brilliance or light leakage in a trillion?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown and pav angles wouldn''t do you any good looking for a trillion.

Nice ones are mostly cut and sold as pairs and never listed among single diamonds.

In your shoes, I''d find a seller at least as paranoid about cut quality as myself and ask them to source the stone. It may take a bit, but a seller would have significantly better chances to find such a stone through his suppliers than you and I browsing the net (for once).
28.gif

My 2c

What would I look for in a database listing... definitely more depth than usual 55-65 or so, table less than 70 for Pete''s sake and hopefully not a thin girdle thinking of those frail corners (& the tension setting in your avatar)
31.gif
. As for the rest - no idea. There are a dozen different cuts and what not. These guys are not terribly forgiving of color - so H and up, say. If the table is not terribly large, SI has as good a chance of being eye clean as any other modified brilliant cut.

Hope some of this helps.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... right about Trielle - the brand is meant to get something decent out of the shallowest rough possible, nothing more. Wouldn''t want to see what a large stone cut that way looks like.

How about the setting? I know Pearlmans (www.pearlmansjewelers.com ) list some out of this world - by looks and price alike -Kretchmer settings with trillions. Maybe they also have the fine stones to match that offer.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2006 7:06:28 PM
Author:Trillion-Tension

Depth 44-50%, Table 53-64%, crown height above 11 degrees, crown angle between 32-35 degrees. These parameters were recommended by the “Diamond guy.” I would like to know the results if it were run through a diamond calculator.

The DC does not have a trillion model built in... That can be changed but it is quite a pain.

If it did, it would not help you much, because the model would not tell anything about the face pattern and actual symmetry. Almost anything looks attractive on the screen with perfect symmetry like these models have.

IMO, 50% is borderline shallow (despite the vast number of trillions being well less than that), and I have no idea where he came up with the single choice for crown and angles.

If you are very curious about DC, you might want to direct your quest to Good Old Gold - the guys like DC about as much as I do, and I sort of remember there was a trillion with Helium scan and DC model in their old database (that could answer your Q about trillion specs). can''t find the model anymore and I must confess of not having tried to import additional fancy cuts from into DC.
38.gif

Trillion-Tension

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/1/2006 7:16:15 PM
Author: valeria101

My 2c

What would I look for in a database listing... definitely more depth than usual 55-65 or so, table less than 70. If the table is not terribly large, SI has as good a chance of being eye clean as any other modified brilliant cut.

I can not find anything above 41% for depth. I would love to look at one with 55-65! I have several online diamond suppliers and B&M''s looking for stones. I see a few specs here and there but rarely a depth above 44%. They even ask if I would consider widening my parameters. Originally, I had SI1 or better but I saw a few SI''s and they were pretty bad and I read somewhere that it might be risky for a tension set. I don''t have a deadline so I''m willing to wait for the right one to come along.

The setting will be Gelin Abaci TR-025 14K white gold like my avatar.

Trillion-Tension

Rough_Rock
I haven''t heard back from Pearlmans, and I''m not sure they have a loose diamond database on their website. I''ll check with them as well as Good Old Gold.

There are many on US Certified but only a few with any details and GIA labs.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2006 10:17:53 PM
Author: Trillion-Tension

I haven''t heard back from Pearlmans, and I''m not sure they have a loose diamond database on their website.

There isn''t one, but they surely do sell diamonds.

It is simply not so common to find trillions that are not part of a pair - even more than 1 carat. Same deal. And even fewer get lab reports. I doubt this means there are not enough trillions out there to choose from. Hope one of the jewelers you call will eventually find the right supplier.

About widening parameters... sure, why not. In fact, I don''t believe the poor table & depth tell the whole story, so if you find one that looks brilliant enough and has a pleasant shape and weird numbers.. #1 I wold not be surprised much and #2 good for you.

There is one example of what ''good light return'' means for trillions on the Ideal Scope site (www.ideal-scope.com). That''s pretty much what I''d be looking for to match, regardless of what the ''numbers are.

Hope some of this helps. Looking forward to a line up of cute triangular diamonds !
9.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been looking for trillion pairs for earrings on and off since seeing a gorgeous pair Angelina Jolie has.

Whiteflash did have quite a few in their database but I don''t think these are in house.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results