carat
color
clarity

Trend Vent - Current Jewelry Things You Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Trend Vent - Current Jewelry Things You Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

kittybean|1304983461|2916783 said:
Somewhat tangentially, it also bugs me when people tell me, "Oh, I don't wear a watch because it's totally unnecessary; I can just look at the time on my cell phone," and then ask me what time it is because I'm wearing a watch on the airplane/in the theater/in court where they have their cell phone off (or their cell phone is dead). I really want to tell them to get a watch! What is great about them is that they are appropriate in all situations and always tell you what time it is. Wearing a watch is both fun and informative :)) .

Guilty as charged. :oops: It's just too hard to pay money for a watch when I have too many other things in my purse that tell time.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock

Amys Bling|1304977823|2916690 said:
wannaBMrsH|1304974212|2916609 said:
slg47|1304973945|2916605 said:
are those 'illusion' princess cuts where it is 4 princesses set together to look like 1 a trend? because if so...NOT A FAN.

Me either! I think those look ridiculous and to be honest, it looks worse than if you just had a modest stone.

sooo agree. It looks like you are trying to achieve a HUGE center stone, and I think that a nice modest size princess cut looks nicer :bigsmile:

AGREED! But I also have to say, the cluster rings with several small round diamonds arranged to look like one big round stone look equally strange! IMO, its better to get something modest and tasteful.

14K%20Yellow%20Gold%20Prong%20Set%20Round%20Diamond%20Cluster%20Ring.jpg

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not sure if this is a trend - but something happened recently and it made me so sad. A friend of a friend was just showing me her e-ring. It was lovely, had lots of sparkly diamond pave and sidestones... BUT, the center "diamond" she kept gushing about was NOT a diamond. I'll probably never see this girl again, and I absolutely believe she was genuine about it - but again, I'm 99% sure it was NOT a diamond. I'm assuming her bf/fiance is trying to get something past her. It was a "princess cut" with a reallly high crown and chunky faceting. It looked like a white gemstone - maybe a moissante or white sapphire. Somewhere, some time, somebody is going to call her out... and she was such a sweet girl too.

For an engagement ring (not other jewelry), I just don't get why you would buy a moissanite/simulants/white sapphires, etc... I just don't get it. I think it's the trying to "pass it off" factor that bugs me. Sure - some of the guys or girls may be doing it for "ethical reasons" - but then why would they care that it glints green in some lights, or needs to be coated to mask its inherent yellow tinge, or worry whether "anyone can tell", etc. Everyone assumes a colorless ering stone is a diamond and you know very few people will ask. If you can't afford it, or don't value it enough to buy it - then why pretend? There's no shame in just being yourself.

If you don't like diamonds for whatever reason, why not go with a plain band or colored stone? Why buy something almost everyone else will assume it's something it's not - and for which everyone will assume you support, rather despise for ethical reasons, or patriarchal gender grounds, or your hate against the diamond marketing regime (yay - fight the man by making everyone else assume you support the diamond corporate machine!). lol.

If you can't afford your dream look, there's also no shame in accepting where you are financially. Everyone started somewhere, and not everyone started with some ginormous rock.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kittybean|1304983461|2916783 said:
Excessively humungous watches. I know they are really big (ha) right now, but I think it looks too dang big when one's watch face hangs over the sides of one's wrist or begins to look like one of those GPS/alcohol-monitoring anklets a la Lindsay Lohan on one's arm.

Somewhat tangentially, it also bugs me when people tell me, "Oh, I don't wear a watch because it's totally unnecessary; I can just look at the time on my cell phone," and then ask me what time it is because I'm wearing a watch on the airplane/in the theater/in court where they have their cell phone off (or their cell phone is dead). I really want to tell them to get a watch! What is great about them is that they are appropriate in all situations and always tell you what time it is. Wearing a watch is both fun and informative :)) .

Yes, and the corollary to that, is that if they are truly using their phone as a time-telling device, it is undoubtedly screwed to one or other HANDS and they are incapable of putting it away, can't bear to set it DOWN for a single instant, or take their eyes off of it long enough to notice either the people around them or the cliff in front of them. But hey, they'll know what time it is. :rolleyes:

Yeah, long live watches. Classic, purpose-built, and they don't require a data plan.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

thing2of2|1304979388|2916721 said:
I have never liked David Yurman jewelry...it just really doesn't do it for me at all. Plus it's crazy expensive!

Oh! I knew I forgot something! A friend of mine has a ton of Yurman stuff, and I just can't get over how overpriced it is!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Necklaces with names/sayings on them.......

Black diamonds in rings. Pandora anything. Circle diamond pendants.

cheers--Sharon

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

iota15|1304985532|2916809 said:
I'm not sure if this is a trend - but something happened recently and it made me so sad. A friend of a friend was just showing me her e-ring. It was lovely, had lots of sparkly diamond pave and sidestones... BUT, the center "diamond" she kept gushing about was NOT a diamond. I'll probably never see this girl again, and I absolutely believe she was genuine about it - but again, I'm 99% sure it was NOT a diamond. I'm assuming her bf/fiance is trying to get something past her. It was a "princess cut" with a reallly high crown and chunky faceting. It looked like a white gemstone - maybe a moissante or white sapphire. Somewhere, some time, somebody is going to call her out... and she was such a sweet girl too.

For an engagement ring (not other jewelry), I just don't get why you would buy a moissanite/simulants/white sapphires, etc... I just don't get it. I think it's the trying to "pass it off" factor that bugs me. Sure - some of the guys or girls may be doing it for "ethical reasons" - but then why would they care that it glints green in some lights, or needs to be coated to mask its inherent yellow tinge, or worry whether "anyone can tell", etc. Everyone assumes a colorless ering stone is a diamond and you know very few people will ask. If you can't afford it, or don't value it enough to buy it - then why pretend? There's no shame in just being yourself.

If you don't like diamonds for whatever reason, why not go with a plain band or colored stone? Why buy something almost everyone else will assume it's something it's not - and for which everyone will assume you support, rather despise for ethical reasons, or patriarchal gender grounds, or your hate against the diamond marketing regime (yay - fight the man by making everyone else assume you support the diamond corporate machine!). lol.

If you can't afford your dream look, there's also no shame in accepting where you are financially. Everyone started somewhere, and not everyone started with some ginormous rock.

I agree that it bugs me when people try to "pass off" their stones as real diamonds. I admit I was in that boat one too, but couldn't do it. I love my stones for what they are and I'm not afraid to tell people if they ask. I have always loved the princess Di ring and wish it wasn't such a trend :(

Things I'm over = illusion set diamonds, platinum, halos (unless it has a colored stone center), pandora and *GASP* diamond center stones. The wonderful thing about moissanite and others is that it's always cut perfectly with no inclusions and perfect light return.

1. Princess cut cluster diamonds.. blah. It's even worse when people try to pass it off as one huge diamond.

2. "Fake" diamonds. People that try to pass off asha or whatever they are called as a diamond. Puh-lease. Your 10 carat CZ doesn't look real and you look ridiculous.

3. Tiffany silver. I used to own some, but it's such a pain to clean. They are nice.. but... I'd rather have something that I don't have to buff all of the time. I think I still have one or two pieces, but I sold everything else.

4. Return to Tiffany jewelry. Uh, WHAT???? I feel like they are just getting free advertising.

5. People that brag about all of their Tiff jewelry, but the only thing they own is a bunch of the cheaper silver stuff.

6. Don't shoot me but bezel diamond necklaces and bracelets that have the bezel only around the girdle and leave the cutlet open. The design is GORGEOUS but a. ouch- isn't it pokey? b. doesn't it move around a lot and not lay flat? c. wouldn't it get dirty much faster?

haha oh yes, PANDORA! I'ver never really been a fan... just seems like a marketing gimmick

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy-forgot about heart jewelry! I hate all heart jewelry!

Okay actually I do have a piece of heart jewelry, but it's a cast silver human heart and it looks awesome. :tongue:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock

Most of the ones I don't like have already been mentioned.

Can't stand the open hearts collection. A lady I work with LOVES it. She has some necklaces and then when she got married last year, she got an open hearts e-ring. I had no idea they even made open hearts e-rings! But hey, she really likes it, so good for her.

I've never been able to get into the Pandora stuff, which is fine, because it's so expensive.

Oh yeah, and illusion settings. I know a girl who got an illusion princess setting with a big channel set shank with rounds. It...was not good. She and her ex-FI have since broken off their engagement though.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

1. Ditto on the Yurman, Pandora, and Open Heart pieces...ick.
2. Overdoing it on "stackables." I'm not talking about 2 or 3 thinner rings that coordinate, but rather when someone feels she needs to put all the diamond rings she has on one finger, even when they don't remotely coordinate.
3. Painfully thin shanks. They look like they're going to break just by taking them off.
4. Initial and name jewelry. Cute if you're 14, but not for adults.
5. "Chocolate" diamonds. Granted I have seen one pendant that was pretty cool (mixed with white and yellow diamonds), but overall I can't help but think "industrial waste" when I see them.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock

Most of the things you guys have said: Pandora bracelets, Kay's Open Hearts, Journey pendants, BIG watches...

That one RB cluster that someone posted just broke my heart...it would have made a BEAUTIFUL eternity or half/eternity band. :(

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

The key on a long chain. I have never really understood why? And haven't really liked them, anyway...

I got one for mothersday ;( What makes it worse is that it wasn't from my daughter, it was from my husband, purchased by his mother. :sick:

anitabee

Shiny_Rock

halos.

never did, never will (and yes, i know i've offended at least 2/3 of you all BUT the question WAS asked so in this case, it's ok!)

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

The way there was a commercial for a mall jewelry store about getting engaged during every commercial break during March madness.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock

anitabee|1304994104|2916955 said:
halos.

never did, never will (and yes, i know i've offended at least 2/3 of you all BUT the question WAS asked so in this case, it's ok!)

We can all agree to disagree here right? I think halos look so strange when the center stone is a round diamond. Kinda reminds me of a combination between an illusion/cluster ring, and a bezel setting. They don't bother me so much on other shapes, and look stunning with colored stones though!

Hey, someone mentioned that they don't like thin shanks..... my wedding set has a thin shank and I'm not offended.......

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't really HATE any current trends, but I'm over halos, and I am really not loving the huge double halos that seem to be gaining in popularity.

I love stacking rings, but I don't find it attractive when people stack so many rings together that they start to look like finger armor.

I don't like jewelry that advertises the designer or brand, especially the "Return to Tiffany" rings. I find that strange.

Does anyone remember those super thick mesh-like silver Tiffany rings that were really popular in the late 90s? UGH! I hated those. They did not look good on anyone's finger, in my opinion.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cutesy naming conventions. Chocolate diamonds are - *brown*. And some are a really breathtaking brown, but they're still *brown*. Champagne diamonds are *brown*, too. Don't even get me started on Cognac/Whiskey/Beer (beer?! :confused: )

Cutesy misnaming conventions. Melee does not have an apostrophe, and there's no such thing as millegrainne.

Gigantic, clearly weighty hoop earrings. Earlobes stretched to half again their natural length because of the heft of your earrings are in no way attractive.

Add me to the anti-super-thin-shank movement. There are so many reasons not to do this - they're weaker and more likely to deform, they're less long-lived, if you have even the slightest bit of finger pudge it only exacerbates it...

Old stones in anachronistic jewelry styles. There's something so - off - about an old mine in a thin, basic 4prong pendant, or a basket 5stone w/ old cuts. I will confess to being heartbroken by one recent Ering reset here on PS :sick:

Anything in under-14k gold that wasn't made at least 50 years ago.

Apparently I am easily irked today 8)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haven, I remember the mesh Tiffany jewelry. I always wondered how people kept those rings clean!

Um, I still wear my Pandora bracelet every day (I'm not offended by comments here, just wanted to throw this out there) even though I hate the fact that there are a ton of knock-offs out there now. I'm not usually a fan of wearing jewelry that is so ubiquitous, but I find it aesthetically pleasing and I've loved charm bracelets since I was a little girl and used to play with my grandmother's super awesome YG one (I have one of those now myself as well), so I'm all about it. I can understand people being over Pandora, though...they are everywhere now and so are the copies. *Sigh* Oh well.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

yssie I totally agree with the stretched earlobes...ick. I can't stand wearing heavy earrings anyway, they're just not comfortable!

also you must be joking about whiskey/beer diamonds!?!?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

slg47|1305000041|2917041 said:

You can't make this stuff up - "whiskey diamond pendant" and a ring with a "beer" rosecut center ;(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1304998751|2917016 said:
Cutesy naming conventions. Chocolate diamonds are - *brown*. And some are a really breathtaking brown, but they're still *brown*. Champagne diamonds are *brown*, too. Don't even get me started on Cognac/Whiskey/Beer (beer?! :confused: )
yeah,brown and black diamonds... :knockout:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Cutesy misnaming conventions. Melee does not have an apostrophe, and there's no such thing as millegrainne.

I'm sorry, who in the what now? I am spluttering with indignation over here! Where the hell do you even put an apostrophe in melee? Why does milgrain need a feminine French cousin?

WHAT HAS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE DONE TO DESERVE THIS?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe|1305001022|2917060 said:

I'm sorry, who in the what now? I am spluttering with indignation over here! Where the hell do you even put an apostrophe in melee? Why does milgrain need a feminine French cousin?

I blame the crazy kids with their texting and video games. Pick up a damn book! :cheeky:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Yssie|1305000214|2917046 said:
slg47|1305000041|2917041 said:

You can't make this stuff up - "whiskey diamond pendant" and a ring with a "beer" rosecut center ;(

wow, really?

so was it a stout? IPA? lager? :cheeky:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

thing2of2|1305002686|2917070 said:

I blame the crazy kids with their texting and video games. Pick up a damn book! :cheeky:

And get off my lawn!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe|1305003011|2917073 said:
thing2of2|1305002686|2917070 said:

And get off my lawn!

SNORT!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock

The Pandora jewelry really isn't my style, either.

Also, as many others have said, I don't really like the illusion princess cut settings. Honestly, I think that a simple princess cut solitaire is much more beautiful, even if the diamond is small.

Oh, and of course the really cheap knockoffs of Kate Middleton's engagement ring (as has already been mentioned).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

WOW.i have to agree with everyone here about what being said about some current trends.One thing i have never liked is mothers jewelry...and the photo dog tags with your child or loved one...even though moms jewelry has gotten better over the years i don't care for cheaply made charm jewelry with your child's name or bad cubic birthstone on it.Get a simple single stone pendant or ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results