shape
carat
color
clarity

Travelers! Help!

danners84

Rough_Rock
Snicklefritz|1340659463|3223483 said:
When you called for Travelers the first thing that came to mind was My Big Fat Gypy Wedding :bigsmile:

I had the same thought, especially because I had a recent encounter with some.

Blackpaw, thanks for the addition. We are from the US, and actually pretty close to the Caribbean, so definitely something to consider, although I was thinking about Fiji prior to your comment, too. We'll see. Gonna try to convince the hubby that we need to get SCUBA certified.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, we are managing to spend more on our trip to Africa than I have ever spent on a trip in my life. We're splitting it about 50/50- 3 nights at a luxury camp (in their cheapest room, haha), but camping for our safari, renting a car to get some places, hiring a car sometimes, and buses for other trips. But, it's a honeymoon/wedding trip, so once in a lifetime and we've certainly saved for it.

Mykonos, Greece is one of the only places that I have been that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to revisit and spend even more time there; just flat out fell in love with it. Does anyone know if travel has been interupted there with all the unrest? It would be such a shame if it became hard to visit there (well, and a terrible situation for them!) because it really does have some wonderful places. I'd plan a whole trip to just explore and island hop, and probably skip mainland Greece althogether, but that's just me!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I (obviously) really disliked Athens, but if you've never been before, yes I would go. I would go for one full day, to do the Acropolis, and then get the heck out. I was there in July, it was HOT (I wish I could capitalize those letters even larger!), crowded, and stinky. The streets were literally just heaving with people. Yuck. I am not a big city fan either, so it is no surprise that I was unimpressed. The history of the place is lovey though, there's no doubt about that, and I would never suggest for anyone to skip the ruins of the Acropolis.

I vetoed the busy Greek islands as well, in favor of little Milos. So, so glad I did - it fit my requirements to a tee. I wouldn't say no to a future Santorini or Mykonos trip, but I think after this current holiday we will be done for Europe for a good few years. Other places are calling.

Honestly, the world is your oyster. :bigsmile: Check out some Lonely Planet books (or the like) from the library and start flipping through the photos. Something will grab you and won't let go.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Danners, you should DEFINITELY get you scuba before you go :appl: it is my most favourite thing to do, and if you're in a hot part of the US it wont be too painful to do at home before you go on your trip (dont want to waste time on the trip doing your course)...

If you're really keen on Fiji dont discount it, i just think you might find its a fairly similar set-up to the Caribbean but much more expensive. If you do decide to dive on this trip you could dive there, though the Great Barrier Reef or even Thailand might be the better options.

Haven, dont be frightened, you'll be an awesome mum! and anyways it seems to me like children are more resilient than they first appear, at least thats what they told me when my niece squirmed her way out of my arms and promptly fell over, so i think you'll be right ;))

danners84

Rough_Rock
Haven|1340662880|3223503 said:
Danners--Are you any closer to a decision, or is all this talk of different destinations just making it more difficult? :cheeky: I really, truly believe you'll have a wonderful trip regardless of where you go, so hopefully that can be of some comfort!

I think I'm leaning more towards Australia, etc., but for a while there it WAS making it more difficult. Why didn't I finish school earlier??!?!! Anyways, I'm still going to look into a few options before we make a final decision. Still need DH's input.

Blackpaw, I was thinking we would dive the Great Barrier Reef. DH thinks I'm nuts because he's worried about sharks. The man goes wade fishing pretty far offshore. Is the fact that he can't SEE the sharks in our nasty water more comforting? :rolleyes: I think it's a once in a lifetime thing to be able to dive there, but if he wants to stick to snorkeling, he can.

Maybe I should just wait until I'm 50 to have kids...

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
My goodness!, I am a bit perplexed reading this Justginger, why on earth would you want to go to beautiful Oz when you could be confronted by THE DRUNKEN AUSSIE, SHOCK HORROR!!!!!!

:angryfire:

Probably best to choose another destination

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Umm...I live in Australia. :confused: I see plenty of drunk Aussies all the time. :lol: I was clearly talking about Bali, where the rudest and most poorly behaved Australians congregate en masse, totally wasted. America has Cancun, Australia has Bali.

Good attitude though.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
danners84|1340742207|3224000 said:
Danners--Are you any closer to a decision, or is all this talk of different destinations just making it more difficult? :cheeky: I really, truly believe you'll have a wonderful trip regardless of where you go, so hopefully that can be of some comfort!

I think I'm leaning more towards Australia, etc., but for a while there it WAS making it more difficult. Why didn't I finish school earlier??!?!! Anyways, I'm still going to look into a few options before we make a final decision. Still need DH's input.

Blackpaw, I was thinking we would dive the Great Barrier Reef. DH thinks I'm nuts because he's worried about sharks. The man goes wade fishing pretty far offshore. Is the fact that he can't SEE the sharks in our nasty water more comforting? :rolleyes: I think it's a once in a lifetime thing to be able to dive there, but if he wants to stick to snorkeling, he can.

Danners, if you come to Australia you will have a wonderful time. We stayed up North in Port Douglas and went snorkelling (we have kids and they had a fantastic time). We went out about an hour from shore on a cruiser in the Barrier Reef and it was magnificent - the coral, sea life etc. Just make sure you slap the sunscreen on because it is our summer and the humidity is very high as well as the temperature 35 degrees plus. Also, some of the beaches you can't swim in due to stingers at that time.

By the way, tell your DH we didn't come across any sharks! Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great time. We have done a bit of travelling and there is nothing like the Great Barrier Reef. :wavey:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
danners84|1340742207|3224000 said:

Haha, Danners, i assume your husband goes wade fishing in the ocean?! if so he'd have way more chance of being chomped by a shark there than on a reef. Tell him that the only sharks on reefs are little ones that dont bite (just nibble!) :bigsmile: but really i cant recommend diving enough, you feel like you've gained a window on a whole new world (sorry that should have been a little mermaid reference!) and its such a peaceful feeling underwater, watching a reef. I think if you both do its something you'll do together all your lives, i know my SO and i really love diving together!

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think I'm sticking to the USA for a while. Haven't explored the West Coast much in California. Any recommendations of which area of California is the nicest?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DBOF - you might want to start a new thread. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions!

danners84

Rough_Rock
Monny, it's currently 39 degrees here! We did pretty well in Costa Rica as far as the sun is concerned - no sunburns, in fact I didn't even really get much of a tan since I was so paranoid about getting fried. Now that I think about it though, I think he may have been more concerned with the jellyfish that you mention. But I had heard that they aren't found in the Great Barrier Reef? I read some warnings about them including "administer CPR if needed" and told hubby that at least we are both professionals at CPR...he was not amused.

Blackpaw, yep, he goes wadefishing in the putrid ocean that is about 45 minutes from here. I'm pretty sure that I can get him to dive. You ladies are getting me excited!

danners84

Rough_Rock
DiamondBrokersofFlorida|1340811572|3224407 said:
I think I'm sticking to the USA for a while. Haven't explored the West Coast much in California. Any recommendations of which area of California is the nicest?

Jan, what kinds of things do you like to do? California has a pretty good variety of options.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
danners84|1340824726|3224565 said:
Monny, it's currently 39 degrees here! We did pretty well in Costa Rica as far as the sun is concerned - no sunburns, in fact I didn't even really get much of a tan since I was so paranoid about getting fried. Now that I think about it though, I think he may have been more concerned with the jellyfish that you mention. But I had heard that they aren't found in the Great Barrier Reef? I read some warnings about them including "administer CPR if needed" and told hubby that at least we are both professionals at CPR...he was not amused.

Blackpaw, yep, he goes wadefishing in the putrid ocean that is about 45 minutes from here. I'm pretty sure that I can get him to dive. You ladies are getting me excited!
I sat on a jellyfish as a child and survived to tell the tale! :cheeky:

So, have you settled on Australia? I SO want to go there. We have a friend who went to live in Australia for a one-year work contract. That was five, maybe six years ago, and he never came back! We knew he was going to stay there permanently when he had his cat sent over.

DBoF--I spent a long weekend in the Napa Valley region in March and it was so much fun. I was with some girlfriends, but I would LOVE to go there with my hubby. I don't know when it's the right season to go or anything, but we had a blast. Great food, great wine, great views. They also sell It's Its there because it's close enough to San Francisco, and any place that sells It's Its is a place I'm willing to visit!
http://www.itsiticecream.com/

I've spent a lot of time in LA because my sister is there for grad school. Can't say I'm a big fan.

danners84

Rough_Rock
Haven|1340827950|3224601 said:
danners84|1340824726|3224565 said:

I sat on a jellyfish as a child and survived to tell the tale! :cheeky:

So, have you settled on Australia? I SO want to go there. We have a friend who went to live in Australia for a one-year work contract. That was five, maybe six years ago, and he never came back! We knew he was going to stay there permanently when he had his cat sent over.

DBoF--I spent a long weekend in the Napa Valley region in March and it was so much fun. I was with some girlfriends, but I would LOVE to go there with my hubby. I don't know when it's the right season to go or anything, but we had a blast. Great food, great wine, great views. They also sell It's Its there because it's close enough to San Francisco, and any place that sells It's Its is a place I'm willing to visit!
http://www.itsiticecream.com/

I've spent a lot of time in LA because my sister is there for grad school. Can't say I'm a big fan.

Oh Haven, I've had several jellyfish stings, but there are two species in Australia whose stings are deadly, one of which can be just a couple centimeters in size. He says he's not getting in the water.

I think Australia is going to be it! I need to get some books and start planning!

Jan, I second Haven on the Napa suggestion, and if you have the time, spend a few days in San Fransisco. Talk about food and wine heaven!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm so excited for you!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

The Fodor's forums are one of my favorite travel planning tools. I think it was TGal who recommended them to me a couple years ago, and they're awesome. I always spend some time looking at itinerary threads and trip reports to help figure out where I want to go, and then I post a thread asking for the Fodorites to critique my itinerary. They're so awesome.
http://www.fodors.com/community/

As for the jellyfish--okay, I can see how a deadly sting might be a bit terrifying. He should just wear water shoes! :cheeky:

I'm so excited for you! This is my first summer in years staying home, so I hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through your exciting trip plans. ::)

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks girls, I don't want to hijack any threads, but Napa sounds wonderful. :naughty: I'm sorry I didn't understand that it was an out of the US traveling thread.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Danners, yep there are a couple of nasty varieties of jelly fish up there at that time of year. But they still run dive operations out to the reef as the jelly fish are close to the shore (at a few beaches they put up nets so you can swim there!). Plus you'll wear wetsuits or even special stinger suits so they protect you! dont give up on your husband, diving is the greatest thing ever :love: maybe tell him about all the poisonous snakes you're bound to encounter and he'll think he's safer in the water? :naughty: only joking, you'll have an amazing time in Oz, let us know where you're thinking of going, id be happy to help with itinerary planning!

DBOF, Im going to San Francisco on saturday and have a day planned in Napa! will tell you how it was for sure. Im so excited, after five days in SF its central america time =)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Danners, feel free to drop by to visit me and the quokkas (and about a dozen other PSers) in Western Australia. We always get overlooked in the west, but it's pretty bloody good! :wink2:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blackpaw--If you're interested, the best wine tasting experience we had in the Napa region was at Charbay Vineyard. It's up in the mountains, and you have to schedule a private tasting, so no crowds or anything. AMAZING. The tasting is free if you buy $20 worth of product, so that's a bonus, too. It was really the best wine tasting experience I ever had. (And the WINE! Oh, the wine.) They also have an amazing live red wine vinegar that never runs out. I bought four of those as gifts. The whole experience was very lush.
http://www.charbay.com/category.aspx?categoryID=643

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1340905749|3225239 said:
Blackpaw--If you're interested, the best wine tasting experience we had in the Napa region was at Charbay Vineyard. It's up in the mountains, and you have to schedule a private tasting, so no crowds or anything. AMAZING. The tasting is free if you buy $20 worth of product, so that's a bonus, too. It was really the best wine tasting experience I ever had. (And the WINE! Oh, the wine.) They also have an amazing live red wine vinegar that never runs out. I bought four of those as gifts. The whole experience was very lush.
http://www.charbay.com/category.aspx?categoryID=643

Oh it looks so good! Thanks Haven :wavey: I actually booked a private vineyard tour for my girlfriends and I, and im sure i can ask them to put this winery on the itinerary. Any recs for SF btw? im super excited to go, its my first visit there. (sorry for threadjacking, Danners!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
A vineyard tour, FUN!

The only real thing I know about San Francisco is that you can go into any old drug store and get an It's It. Pathetic, I know, but those things are SO GOOD. Otherwise, I haven't spent much quality time in San Francisco since I was a teen, and I don't remember anything from back then!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Haha, i have an Its-it on my list of things to eat (yes i make lists like that...) since you posted about it earlier :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blackpaw|1340907412|3225263 said:
Haha, i have an Its-it on my list of things to eat (yes i make lists like that...) since you posted about it earlier :bigsmile:
I make these lists, too. They're always the longest of all the must-have lists that I bring!

One of our best meals was at Bosko's Trattoria in Calistoga. We were at a jazz fest earlier in the day and we met the head chef. He was handing out samples of fresh mozzarella wrapped around a softer white cheese (can't remember which now) with salt and some oil. It was HEAVEN. I ended up just standing at their table and eating piece after piece. :cheeky: I started talking food with the chef and he gave me his card and told him to call him if we wanted to come in for dinner that night, he'd make us an amazing meal. Couldn't turn that down! The place itself is very relaxed, not at all uppity, just nice and casual. But the FOOD! It was so good. I think I ate two pounds of that mozzarella concoction myself. And he sent us home with three different slices of cheesecake. It was so good.

The chef's name is Don Garrett. He probably won't remember us, but if you end up going to Bosko's you could tell him that Lori sent you, she was the one he met with her two friends who was obsessed with his mozzarella. :cheeky:
It gets some mixed reviews on Yelp, but here's the info.
http://www.boskos.com/index.shtml

We went to check out the Old Faithful Geyser after that wine fest, and it was fine, but not worth a special trip if you aren't in the area, FYI. They did have a lot of crazy livestock, which I love, but my girlfriends were just totally grossed out and ready to get back to a winery!

There are so many amazing restaurants in the region. I'm sure other PSers have spent more time there, but my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
My favorite meal (other than the cheese fest at Bosko's) was lunch at Market in St. Helena. http://www.marketsthelena.com/
It was comfort food heaven--we shared a chopped salad, mac n cheese, empenadas, butterscotch pudding, and lattes. The staff was really great there, too.

Calistoga and St. Helena were most fun for walking around. I loved Yountville, very small, and that's where we found our It's Its in a little general store. (There was a young guy buying beer behind us and when he learned we were going to be eating our first It's It he called his buddies and told them he was going to be held up a minute. He had to see it.)

I don't know if you're into checking out amazing hotels and resorts, but Meadowood in St. Helena is to die for. My girlfriend is in the hotel industry and we took an hour to just walk around their grounds. They also had these really cute foldout maps of the Napa Valley Region in their lobby. I took two, one to use and one to bring home and display above our bar.
http://www.meadowood.com/

What I wouldn't do to be able to open up one of the wines I brought home from Napa! I shipped an entire box, and then got pregnant a couple weeks later. Bad timing. :cheeky:

If there are any festivals going on while you're there, I highly recommend you check them out. We had so much fun at the jazz fest. Everyone is super friendly and casual, and there's so much good food and wine all over the place. My girlfriends and I ended up spending an hour in this one tasting room with a huge front window, posing as mannequins. I don't even know how we started, but we kept changing our pose and waiting for the passers by to figure out that we were real. Their reactions were hilarious, and the staff and crowd in the tasting room got really into it! They were shouting out different scenes for us to play, and by the time we left the place was PACKED. We brought in so much business that the owner sent us away with a bottle of wine! You never know what's going to happen at a little festival in Napa, I say!

I really had a great time in Napa. I want to go back with my husband, but I think being there with girlfriends made it a ton of fun. We met so many great people, and got ourselves into ridiculous but totally fun situations.

Sorry to clog up your thread with all this stuff about Cali, Danners!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results