shape
carat
color
clarity

Transitional cut diamond?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been trying to find a transitional diamond that has the classic quilt pattern and its harder than I expected!

My ideal transitional has this look:

Screenshot_20230727_155803_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230727_155715_Chrome.jpg

so far I've found a few candidates but nothing perfect:

This one (stupid link keeps erroring)
Screenshot_20230727_160041_Chrome.jpg

Thoughts? As usual with weird diamonds I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible. Small is ok, but at least .6ct so I can see the faceting. If anyone has thoughts on the above or sees alternatives let me know!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just love that pattern also. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Oh believe me, I’m over here watering mine like mad. I’ll let you know if I have any luck, lol!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh this is close to perfect but I can't spend more than 2.5k on a "weird stone experiment" stone.

This one might be too much of an OEC:

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
My favorite one you posted just now is the 1.27ct. I’ll let you know if I see one in your budget!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I like that one a lot, but I worry that it's too much of an OEC pattern with the petals

I had a transitional stone once, but it was really little so I sold it (33 pts) and I can not see close up without readers anymore!! Anyway it had that lovely checkerboard pattern but if I angled it a certain way the pattern could look oec-ish (it was definitely more tranny than oec though). So anyway I wonder if the way you tilt the stone makes a difference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a transitional stone once, but it was really little so I sold it (33 pts) and I can not see close up without readers anymore!! Anyway it had that lovely checkerboard pattern but if I angled it a certain way the pattern could look oec-ish (it was definitely more tranny than oec though). So anyway I wonder if the way you tilt the stone makes a difference.

Very interesting! They are definitely similar cuts in many ways so that wouldn't surprise me

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the facet pattern of a ”quilt” transitional but man, they are so hard to come by. If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt, I would just search and hope to find one that is not properly labeled. This is how I acquired one of my OEC’s, IMO my best cut diamond, it was listed as “retro” no mention of OEC or anything that would catch attention in a search.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not sure if this would be eye clean, and it's smallish. I posted it up thread quite a while ago and the price has gone down since then.

I saw this one. Not sure if it's the kind you are looking for

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the facet pattern of a ”quilt” transitional but man, they are so hard to come by. If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt, I would just search and hope to find one that is not properly labeled. This is how I acquired one of my OEC’s, IMO my best cut diamond, it was listed as “retro” no mention of OEC or anything that would catch attention in a search.

Yeah that's a good point. I could just use ebay and search "vintage" or "antique"

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, if you like the “thrill of the hunt“ you might find something and I bet it would be a good price. I feel like there has to be a hidden transitional out there in the vast sea of Ebay.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that the tilt affects the look. I have what is probably a transitional that at times looks like an OEC.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Close but not quite....

Screenshot_20230727_204809_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20230727_204721_eBay.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far my ebay search goes like this:

1. "YES! THIS ONE IS PERFECT!"
2. **checks price, sees its 11k**
3. "Nevermind"

...5 min later....

1. **sees price is 3k or less**
2. "YES! FINALLY!"
3. **sees the stone is .4ct or less**
4. "Nevermind"

...and repeat.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your struggle, I’m going through the same trying to find a yellow diamond ring that isn’t thousands or the size of a grain of rice. The best part, I’ve found what sounds promising and it has a return policy with excellent feedback but the pictures all look like this and when you ask for clearer pictures with no flash, they look exactly the same as this :lol-2:

6B7148FA-AC57-4C6D-98DE-9798AAF5BD57.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I feel your struggle, I’m going through the same trying to find a yellow diamond ring that isn’t thousands or the size of a grain of rice. The best part, I’ve found what sounds promising and it has a return policy with excellent feedback but the pictures all look like this and when you ask for clearer pictures with no flash, they look exactly the same as this :lol-2:

6B7148FA-AC57-4C6D-98DE-9798AAF5BD57.jpeg

That just looks like a band! There’s a diamond in that picture??

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk if this is too small @lovedogs at .54 and it says round brilliant but it sure looks transitional to me.

That's a great option! That vendor has some good stuff to consider.

What do folks think about this? Excuse the crap pics, I was trying to take screenshots from a video

Screenshot_20230731_084840_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230731_084830_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230731_080018_Chrome.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that diamond but I wonder if it’s “quilty” enough. Still, really pretty.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That's my exact thought too!

I love it. Again I'm thinking the quilt has to do with tilt (I'm a poet and didn't know it lol) so when you see quilt in the still pic, I don't think it will necessarily look like that 100% of the time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results