shape
carat
color
clarity

Trader Joe Favs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I wanna try so much new stuff now!!
36.gif
Great thread!

We live on their frozen burritos - chicken & rice, and chicken chilil verde - and creamy tomato soup (in the rect.box). I'm embarrassed to say how much we eat those two together as a meal these days.

We also really like one of the frozen pizzas from there - prosciutto, carm. onions, and gruyere on flat bread. Yummy!

Always stock up on Clif bars from there, too - cheapest place to get them.

I asked hubby to stop there the other day on the way home for a few things, and he called me from there, and I said, "I think they have these other soups near the boxed ones ... some corn chowder in a jar or something?" He says, yeah ok, I'll get it. I come home to find a can of clam chowder. Gotta love guys and their listening skills
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2007 4:53:08 PM
Author: ellaila

I asked hubby to stop there the other day on the way home for a few things, and he called me from there, and I said, ''I think they have these other soups near the boxed ones ... some corn chowder in a jar or something?'' He says, yeah ok, I''ll get it. I come home to find a can of clam chowder. Gotta love guys and their listening skills
2.gif
Bahahahaha!!!!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Went to TJs last night and came out with oodles of PS-recommended stuff
36.gif

OK, so that frozen precooked brown rice? AWESOME. My new favorite must-have I think! We had that w/TJs frozen orange chicken and naan and cooked some broccoli up -- yum! The whole meal was tasty and took like 20 minutes to make. Niiiiiiice! Although I would much prefer to actually cook something than just heat up frozen chicken, this is great for a quick weeknight meal.

Also got the jar of corn tortilla chowder
20.gif
3.gif
-- am going to try that for lunch today -- and some other spanish stew/soup in a jar that sounded interesting (cumin, cinnamon, cilantro, garbanza beans, lentils).

Oh, and the mochi! I had never had them before (never even heard of them before to be honest), so I asked the cashier about them, and she basically explained it as "ice cream wrapped in gelatin" --
14.gif
I was less than thrilled by that description! I tore the box open when I got home and was also less than thrilled with my first bite. What a weird consistency! But since they weren''t totally frozen at that point (had been out of the TJs freezer for a while), I decided to let ''em get really cold and then try them again. OK, second bite was definitely better than the first! And then the third was better than the second ... and so on ... and so on ...
9.gif

I was tempted to try the Greek yogurt, but I don''t know ... something about it kinda scares me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 12:10:16 PM
Went to TJs last night and came out with oodles of PS-recommended stuff
36.gif

OK, so that frozen precooked brown rice? AWESOME. My new favorite must-have I think! We had that w/TJs frozen orange chicken and naan and cooked some broccoli up -- yum! The whole meal was tasty and took like 20 minutes to make. Niiiiiiice! Although I would much prefer to actually cook something than just heat up frozen chicken, this is great for a quick weeknight meal.

Also got the jar of corn tortilla chowder
20.gif
3.gif
-- am going to try that for lunch today -- and some other spanish stew/soup in a jar that sounded interesting (cumin, cinnamon, cilantro, garbanza beans, lentils).

Oh, and the mochi! I had never had them before (never even heard of them before to be honest), so I asked the cashier about them, and she basically explained it as ''ice cream wrapped in gelatin'' --
14.gif
I was less than thrilled by that description! I tore the box open when I got home and was also less than thrilled with my first bite. What a weird consistency! But since they weren''t totally frozen at that point (had been out of the TJs freezer for a while), I decided to let ''em get really cold and then try them again. OK, second bite was definitely better than the first! And then the third was better than the second ... and so on ... and so on ...
9.gif

I was tempted to try the Greek yogurt, but I don''t know ... something about it kinda scares me.
The greek yogurt is very sour, but put honey in it and it tastes totally different. Oh, there is also a bit of paper on top of the yogurt, so take that off before you pour honey in and stir to a nice whipped consistency.

What flavor mochi did you get? Mochi is an acquired taste in my opinion. It''s like ice cream in a rice cake, which is fine by me since I am used to that kind of stuff. Mango is an easygoing flavor, and a lot of people like coffee. Mango is my fav, along with green tea. But don''t buy green tea unless you like green tea ice cream!

Brave of you try new things!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol ela re: corn vs clam chowder!!

i am tempted to try the greek yogurt but i don''t know...i don''t really need those high levels of protein again til i start working out more again, but maybe then i will try it.

i think i said this in another thread, but i found the TJ pot pies...the turkey one is 16 oz and 660 cals total. for comparison the marie calendars ones that we love are 16 oz and 1000 cals! the 10 oz MC ones are 660! so i was like heck let me try this TJ one, it''s probably way healthier. i haven''t tried it yet but i will soon. but for any pot pie lovers, check them out. the chicken is like 30 cals more.

oh and the TJ chocolate brownie cookies, yum. and i recently got their TJ banana nut bread ...YUM and YUM. super good.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Got the chocolate mochi. I''m normally not a huge chocolate ice cream person, but ... well, that''s what you walk out of the store with when you go shopping with PMS.
25.gif

Re: the yogurt ... the thing is, I hate honey. For some reason, the stuff just makes me nauseous. I suppose I could add a little sugar to it instead of honey. But I can''t really see the point of eating 200 cal. yogurt and adding sugar to it, when I''m just as happy w/my little WW or Dannon vanilla yogurts w/fewer cals. When you said the yogurt was like dessert, my ears perked up and got me curious! I suppose next time I can just pick one up and try it, just out of curiousity!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 12:20:49 PM
Got the chocolate mochi. I''m normally not a huge chocolate ice cream person, but ... well, that''s what you walk out of the store with when you go shopping with PMS.
25.gif

Re: the yogurt ... the thing is, I hate honey. For some reason, the stuff just makes me nauseous. I suppose I could add a little sugar to it instead of honey. But I can''t really see the point of eating 200 cal. yogurt and adding sugar to it, when I''m just as happy w/my little WW or Dannon vanilla yogurts w/fewer cals. When you said the yogurt was like dessert, my ears perked up and got me curious! I suppose next time I can just pick one up and try it, just out of curiousity!
It tastes just as good with a little splenda in it....you totally do not need to use honey.

Mara, I saw those turkey pies when I was there last time and decided to wait. Good to hear they are good. And there is NO WAY I could buy banana bread. I love that stuff and it would be gone in one sitting...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay these are not good for you but I love the chicken potstickers - they don''t taste like real ones but I like ''em anyway LOL

And they USED to have these things called Truffle Bars that came in dark, milk, hazelnut, coffee, and almond and the almond ones were my fav and they had them for years and I always got one or two but they haven''t had them for at least 6 or 7 years now and I still haven''t gotten over it :::waaaaa:::

They also USED to have these sausages that were beer, duck, and cilantro that were AWESOME and they got rid of those several years back too and I miss ''em. They have something similar now that is like chicken and cilantro or something but they are NOT even close to as good.

I like the cream line yogurt - it''s sinful for sure but wow...

And their petit fillet is actually REALLY good and a REALLY good price!! Oh and their canned crab is really good for canned crab.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 2:10:38 AM
Author: nejarb
by the way, I just want you all to know how lucky you are for having a TJs near you. thanks for rubbing it in. don''t take it for granted.

okay, IF I had a TJs, my regular favs would be the hummas and the 2 buck chuck.

most of my fam lives in so cal and whenever I visit them I get serious TJ envy
bahahaha that''s great!!! the wine LOL

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2007 4:55:12 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I asked hubby to stop there the other day on the way home for a few things, and he called me from there, and I said, ''I think they have these other soups near the boxed ones ... some corn chowder in a jar or something?'' He says, yeah ok, I''ll get it. I come home to find a can of clam chowder. Gotta love guys and their listening skills
2.gif
Bahahahaha!!!!
Yep - and right next to the can of clam chowder, I''ll bet, was another guest book that looks JUST LIKE TG''s!!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 7:43:48 PM
Author: aljdewey

2.gif
Bahahahaha!!!!
Yep - and right next to the can of clam chowder, I''ll bet, was another guest book that looks JUST LIKE TG''s!!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO
LOL, I remember that guest book! I find that it is very helpful to tell men what color things are packaged in...like DH buying me razor cartridges...if I told him Venus divine, etc., he would come home with something totally different (but it would be razor cartridges), whereas if I tell him "it''s in a purple box" he gets it right. Now if you have a guy who''s colorblind you REALLY have a problem!
20.gif
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 7:43:48 PM
Author: aljdewey

2.gif
Bahahahaha!!!!

ROTFLMAO
Hehehehe...I honestly thought that when I read the ellalia''s story. Men must just have different ear drums....

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal... you are AMAZING! We made a trip to TJ''s tonight and while I was there I picked up a few containers of the 2% Fage yogurt. Oh... my... goodness. I have to say -- I''ve never been a yogurt person, at all. I can eat it, but I don''t really care for it... too watery, too thin, too sweet, too fake tasting. But the fage is AMAZING. It is sooo creamy, thick, and rich. I added 1 tbsp of honey and it was to die for. I may try it w/ a bit of splenda and vanilla extract -- then I will really be in heaven! My GENEROUS sized container had 130 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 17 grams of protein -- amazing. I had the container and was satisfied... even full.. from yogurt! Thank you so much, I am officially addicted!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 10:31:36 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
TravelingGal... you are AMAZING! We made a trip to TJ's tonight and while I was there I picked up a few containers of the 2% Fage yogurt. Oh... my... goodness. I have to say -- I've never been a yogurt person, at all. I can eat it, but I don't really care for it... too watery, too thin, too sweet, too fake tasting. But the fage is AMAZING. It is sooo creamy, thick, and rich. I added 1 tbsp of honey and it was to die for. I may try it w/ a bit of splenda and vanilla extract -- then I will really be in heaven! My GENEROUS sized container had 130 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 17 grams of protein -- amazing. I had the container and was satisfied... even full.. from yogurt! Thank you so much, I am officially addicted!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
hahah i almost forgot i had this yogurt in the fridge!!! i will have to have some for a snack tomorrow.

the fage 2% container i got also has 130 cals etc and i was like gosh that's not too bad, honey adds what, like 20 cals so i'm in business for a 150ish cal HEALTHY snack!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Mara I hope that you like it. Honestly with 17 grams of protein, I think it would be such a great pre or post-workout snack!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I used to live literally across the street from the Trader Joe''s in Brookline. We just got one in this city a few months ago, and I was so excited.

Staples:
the Trader Joe''s foil-packed indian meals - vegetarian, all natural, easy to make, keep forever
wasabi shrimp sushi - it''s not the best sushi in the world, but it''s like 300 cals for 8 large pieces
chicken cheese quesadillas - cheesey and gooey and still only 300 cals
chicken shu-mai - like 450 cals for the whole package. I put them in my rice cooker and steam them for a quick dinner
2% greek yogurt - I don''t usually eat this plain, but I use it instead of sour cream (on the quesadillas or baked potatoes or in taco salad)
dried strawberries - the same kind that come in Special K red berries, but just by themselves so you can add them to any cereal
frozen fish - we like the wild salmon with chimichurri and the marinated mahi mahi

I bought a jar of the corn torilla chowder, and I wasn''t that impressed. It was almost too strong for my taste. I bought some frozen steel cut oatmeal that is already cooked, just heat and serve. I haven''t tried it yet though, but I''m hoping it''s good because I love steel cut oatmeal, but I never have the patience for it. I can''t seem to find the 500 cal chicken artichoke pizza at my TJs. They have a sausage one, a goat cheese one, and a tomato/fresh mozarella one, but they are all like 700 cals each. Bummer.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 4:16:20 PM
Author: basil
I used to live literally across the street from the Trader Joe''s in Brookline. We just got one in this city a few months ago, and I was so excited.

I bought a jar of the corn torilla chowder, and I wasn''t that impressed. It was almost too strong for my taste. I bought some frozen steel cut oatmeal that is already cooked, just heat and serve. I haven''t tried it yet though, but I''m hoping it''s good because I love steel cut oatmeal, but I never have the patience for it. I can''t seem to find the 500 cal chicken artichoke pizza at my TJs. They have a sausage one, a goat cheese one, and a tomato/fresh mozarella one, but they are all like 700 cals each. Bummer.
Same for me with the corn tortilla chowder. It was too overwhelming for me. I wound up using it as a dip for some pita chips, and that was OK, but I couldn''t eat a whole spoonful at a time!

I actually just came back from TJ''s and I got one of those Fage 2%, so I''m def. going to try that soon! Also got the most lovely flowers - 1/2 dozen bright yellow roses and a dozen gorgeous deep pink ones. Really lovely!
36.gif

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve only been to Trader Joe''s once, when I was on vacation last summer in San Diego visiting friends, and they took me there. I love the Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar and I can''t find anything like it here in south Florida. Also, the best dark chocolate candy bars.
18.gif
OH, also an olive tampenade and the spicy, smoky peach salsa!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha...I actually like the corn tortilla chowder, but thought it was too mellow compared to the roasted tomato garlic one I like. So don''t try that one if the corn one was too much!

You guys must be getting the smaller containers that come with the honey for the fage? I just get the bigger one because I have honey at home. I''ll probably do the splenda this week as I forgot we have some. I love it because the richness makes me eat it pretty slowly. I am so glad you liked it Lindsey!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I also have to recommend TJ''s frozen veggie corn dogs. They are similiar to the Morning Star brand, but they taste WAY better!! We put them in our toaster oven and they turn out perfect.
emsmile.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh corn dogs, yum!!!

TG...i got a smaller container that doesn''t come with honey, its just 2% fage. but i added my own honey. how much honey do you typically add...??

i LOVE the roasted corn tortilla chowder. it''s got just the right amount of kick for me. the corn chowder with red pepper that comes in the rectangular box is spicier, so also along the same lines as TG''s red pepper and tomato, don''t try this one (corn chowder with red peppers) if you thought the corn tortilla was too spicy. i actually don''t think that the rctc is that spicy which is funny because i''m kind of a wuss about that kinda thing. the rectangular corn chowder is like the top of my comfort zone and i can''t eat it very quickly, i have to pace myself and drink a lot of water!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm...I must be missing something. I could have sworn there was the container I get (200 cal) and a smaller one that comes with honey, but I never looked carefully so maybe I assumed it did come with the honey. I''ll check it out tomorrow.

I add a teaspoon or so in the 200 cal container, as I don''t mind the sourness of it. 1 tablespoon of honey has about 60 calories, I think, so I try not to use the whole thing unless I am having a sweet tooth. It''s yummy with the full tablespoon though. Stir until it''s smooth and creamy. I find half packet of splenda really makes it sweet as well.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 2:02:19 AM
Hm...I must be missing something. I could have sworn there was the container I get (200 cal) and a smaller one that comes with honey, but I never looked carefully so maybe I assumed it did come with the honey. I'll check it out tomorrow.
I got the single-serve one w/o honey and I *thought* it was 200 calories, too, but you know what? The 200 is actually how many grams in a serving -- calorie count is 130. Yay!!
36.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Mmm mmm mmmm, this yogurt is GOOD!!! I had to add quite a bit of sugar to get it to a good level of sweetness for me (unfortunately I didn''t see the splenda on the counter till after I had added all the real sugar - oh well, next time I''ll use the splenda instead), but it is just delish right now! Thanks for heads up on this stuff, TG!

First thought was "sour cream" but after the sugar and whipping, it''s more like thick Cool Whip!
18.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 8:49:12 AM

Date: 1/29/2007 2:02:19 AM
Hm...I must be missing something. I could have sworn there was the container I get (200 cal) and a smaller one that comes with honey, but I never looked carefully so maybe I assumed it did come with the honey. I''ll check it out tomorrow.
I got the single-serve one w/o honey and I *thought* it was 200 calories, too, but you know what? The 200 is actually how many grams in a serving -- calorie count is 130. Yay!!
36.gif
Really? I guess I had never looked carefully before this recommending it and just glanced at it. What a dork I am! No wonder I am losing weight, I am not counting calories correctly!

Where''s my glasses......

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually i thought it tasted like ''marscapone cheese'' after mixing the honey and vanilla in!! does anyone else get that too? since i love tiramisu (but a lot sweeter hehee) it was definitely tasty, maybe adding some splenda might help a bit.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock

i tried the tortilla chowder for lunch today - i liked it but didn''t love it. i didn''t think it was very spicy (i love spicy food!), but i found it was a little too salty for me.

my favorite way to have the greek yogurt is to mix in lots of cinnamon and a touch of vanilla, then drizzle it with honey and top with a few chopped walnuts. i eat the 0%, so with the fat in the walnuts it probably evens out to the 2%!

basil, i can''t find the lower cal pizzas in my store either, the ones we have are all 700 cals and up too. maybe it''s a regional thing - i know they put out several versions of their flyers for different parts of the country.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I tried the corn tortilla chowder as a snack today and I''m on the other side of the fence -- I loved it. Very flavorful, and I added adobo seasoning too. It WAS salty, but not too terribly much so. I added a dollop of FF sour cream which cut the spice and really mellowed everything out. I really enjoyed it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lindsey i thought SC would be perfect for it as well as some cheese maybe. but at work i just have the soup. hehe.
2.gif

how odd about not having the lower cal pizzas elsewhere. here the three that are lower cal are the pizza margherita (we just started getting this at our local ones) which is 540 for the whole pizza...and the chicken, mushroom, artichoke which i love at 440 cals per pizza, and then the portabello mushroom one which is a bit bland for me but if you love mushrooms...and i think that is like 480 per pizza. just a bit more than the chicken one. the rest of them are definitely higher. anyway hope you guys can find them eventually, maybe ask your local TJ''s if they plan to carry them?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a website called traderjoesfan.com where fans can discuss TJ''s product, post recipes, favorites, etc. I registered (it''s free, of course) about 6 months ago but I always forget to visit. There are some fun things on there if anyone is interested. And they also talk about the fact that the different regions have different things in the stores, some items are a one-time buy, etc. Anyway I thought I would mention it here.

I have to say that I hate getting hooked on something from TJ''s and then can never find it again, or they carry something I fall in love with intermittently, but then again I find some great new product every other time I go in, so it sort of cancels out the negative aspect for me.

Another of my favorite things about Tj''s that i think someone else mentioned as well are the fresh flowers and plants! During the Christmas season I stopped in several times for a hostess gift on the way to a party and picked up paperwhites or hyacinths in full, beautiful bloom. The recipients really loved them...I never did get the chance to go back and get a couple for myself, darn it.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results