shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I was wondering of those of you who own peach colored tourmaline, what color gold did you set them in? I am worried that YG would make the stone look too brown and RG would make it look to flesh colored. TL? Does anyone have any pics? Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a peach colored tourmaline which I''ve never set. Its pretty but against my skin its really blah. So IMO skin tone matters as does the amount of peach in the stone.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own one peach colored tourmaline, and I just don''t think the color on it is worth setting. It''s a medium light tone, and too brown. I don''t think much can help it in the way of gold color. It will always be too brown for me.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I had a peachy colored zircon, and it was a little blah against my skin too, but when I put it in a white gold halo, it really set the stone off nicely. It still remained a sort of neutral colored stone, and not a "get noticed from across the room" gem, but that''s not entirely a bad thing, and you don''t have to worry about matching your outfits so much. Do you have a pic of your stone? I''m curious to see how close in color it is.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have one but think that color would look better in WG.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have any pics of the stone in question? That might influence responses.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the opinions on your stones, I appreciate it.

The stone in question is a 3.84ct cushion cut salmon colored tourmaline from Barry. I do have pics, but they are on another computer-it was tough to photograph the color correctly anyways!

In daylight it is a vibrant pink, in mixed light it is a beautiful salmon and in incandesant light it turns a lovely peach. I thought I was set on YG for it until yesterday when all I kept seeing was the peach color-almost all day, so it got me thinking that YG might look horrible with it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If it''s a problem for you to post pics, you can find some that show this color (in whatever object) on Google image search or something, cause written descriptions can mean a lot of things, especially with colors that are between hues. Generally speaking, I don''t think peach colored stones look bad in yellow gold, in fact, I think brown would be brought out by white rather than yellow. Rose probably can''t hurt it, especially if you''d like it to be more blushy.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I set my peach toumaline in rose gold. The y or w gold just didn''t do anything for it.

few pictures:

SSCN2844.JPG

SSCN2874.JPG

SSCN2879.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
mochi, that''s a beautiful ring. Do you mind sharing where you got the setting?

I''ve been thinking of setting some of my peach/pink tourmalines in Argentium silver, but after seeing that ring, I''m really reconsidering whether rose gold might not look nicer.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi I love that ring. It really brings out the stone a lot!

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Mali Garnet that is peach in one light and rose pink in another. The reason I''ve never set this is because I don''t (a) like the colour against any colour metal and (b) it looks flesh coloured and disappears into my skin. Eugh!

It''s tough because you don''t want it to be too "samey" to the metal colour. I would say to opt for yellow gold as this would give enough of a contrast.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, ladies. This tourmaline was my very first loose colored stone purchase. The setting is from LOGR.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 3:54:56 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I have a Mali Garnet that is peach in one light and rose pink in another. The reason I''ve never set this is because I don''t (a) like the colour against any colour metal and (b) it looks flesh coloured and disappears into my skin. Eugh!

It''s tough because you don''t want it to be too ''samey'' to the metal colour. I would say to opt for yellow gold as this would give enough of a contrast.
Why not a diamond halo...?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have the same rose gold setting from LOGR as mochi, and I set a purply-red garnet into it, and I''ve never been happy with the result. I think the problem is the LOGR rose gold tends to be on the orange side, which will look great with a peachy colored stone, and less great with a purple-red color. I''ve tried to capture the orangish shade with this photo. It is close to the color of the copper penny. The ring at the bottom of the photo is another rose gold ring which is more on the pink side, and the ring at the left is 14k yellow gold.

Just to say that not all rose golds are the same, and the LOGR rose gold may suit your stone well.

LOGRRose8711.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure that TL has mentioned before that their rose gold differs depending what karat you get? Maybe she can help?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 4:47:54 PM
I''m sure that TL has mentioned before that their rose gold differs depending what karat you get? Maybe she can help?
I do agree that the 14K LOGR rose gold is very coppery, and I have one 18K rose gold piece which is more subtle in color, but it''s still coppery.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 5:02:47 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/12/2010 4:47:54 PM
I'm sure that TL has mentioned before that their rose gold differs depending what karat you get? Maybe she can help?
I do agree that the 14K LOGR rose gold is very coppery, and I have one 18K rose gold piece which is more subtle in color, but it's still coppery.
My rose gold LOGR is 14k.

ETA - Last week a local jeweler showed me a custom ring she made with 14k and 18k green gold accents. The difference was subtle, but I was able to pick out the 18k green gold as being slightly more intensely green. She also had some bimetal with rose gold on top and silver below. It would work for certain earring and pendant styles, but the rose gold here was more peachy in tone and not for me.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both 14K and 18K rose gold LOGR''s. I should have clarified.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Mochi-thanks for posting your lovely ring!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed that there are diamonds in Mochi''s ring - am I right, Mochi? If so, the whiteness of the diamonds may serve to minimize the contrast between the rose of the tourmaline and the rose of the gold and help "eat up" some brownish tones of the tourmaline (hope it is OK to use such an unprofessional term). A combination of rose gold outside and white inside can serve the same purpose. (e.g. rose gold ring - white gold prongs).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results