shape
carat
color
clarity

Total newb need help on where to find quality oval aqua...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone here help point me in the direction of where I can find a quality loose aquamarine stone. Oval in shape and approximately 6x8mm. I''d really appreciate it. I am totally new to the gemstone arena I have a LOGR setting already to put the stone in hence the somewhat fixed dimensions. Aqua is my birthstone but I''m willing to use another gemstone if anyone has better ideas. I''m going to use this as a RHR and I don''t have any gemstone rings at all.
Thanks

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have a budget in mind? for something that specific in size, you might want to touch base with one of the cutters Barry at acstones.com or Gary Braun at finewatergems.com or Michael at Gemshoppe.com to see if they have any roughs that can cut to that specific size. or give Gary Dutton at Diamondexpert.com a call to see if he can source you out any.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest that one too.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
but do you want aqua? or just the color blue.
I was going to suggest this but it is 5 on the MOH scale. so not ideal for rings, on the ocasional use though... maybe?

http://www.bestcutgems.com/product/IT-356

apatitebluebestgem1.JPG

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D&T!

I don''t have a set budget but I''d like to keep it on the cheaper side. Honestly, I''m not even sure if a bigger stone would fit in the setting I have b/c I''m totally not knowledgeable when it comes to such things this is my 1st foray into this arena.
I have got the same LOGR setting that Tourmalinelover has for her GORGEOUS Cuprian. The double wg/rg halo.
It says that the setting requires a 6x8mm stone so maybe I can go a bit bigger.
I''m going to check out the links you have posted.
Thanks too LtlFirecracker!
I''m excited to get this project going...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2009 6:09:54 PM
Author: btrflygrl23
Thanks D&T!

I don''t have a set budget but I''d like to keep it on the cheaper side. Honestly, I''m not even sure if a bigger stone would fit in the setting I have b/c I''m totally not knowledgeable when it comes to such things this is my 1st foray into this arena.
I have got the same LOGR setting that Tourmalinelover has for her GORGEOUS Cuprian. The double wg/rg halo.
Thank you btrflygrl23 for the kind words about the cuprian.

I would check with Michael E of gemshoppe.com to see if he can source and cut you a small aqua. I''ve seen him do that for others before, but depending on the quality of color you want, that might be expensive.

Vallejo916 is an ebay seller that also sells small aquas, of which many are pale, but I did get a medium blue one carat stone from him at one time. His prices are very good for a precision cut gem. It can be difficult to find small aquas though, the rough is usually large and cut large as a result. At least his prices are very reasonable.

Good luck!!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/6/2009 6:20:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thanks D&T!

I would check with Michael E of gemshoppe.com to see if he can source and cut you a small aqua. I''ve seen him do that for others before, but depending on the quality of color you want, that might be expensive.

Vallejo916 is an ebay seller that also sells small aquas, of which many are pale, but I did get a medium blue one carat stone from him at one time. His prices are very good for a precision cut gem. It can be difficult to find small aquas though, the rough is usually large and cut large as a result. At least his prices are very reasonable.

Good luck!!
Tourmaline you''re welcome and it isn''t hard to find nice things to say about your stunning gemstone rings!
I do have a question for you, I have not yet received my LOGR setting and I did not pay extra to upgrade the diamonds as I agree with you they are quite small. I''m curious as to whether you think the diamonds are pretty since you have seen the setting IRL?
I think from your pics they look very pretty nice bit of sparkle for the price but I don''t want to end up with horrid stones that don''t sparkle at all.
thanks for all the info!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2009 7:09:54 PM

Date: 7/6/2009 6:20:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thanks D&T!

I don't have a set budget but I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side. Honestly, I'm not even sure if a bigger stone would fit in the setting I have b/c I'm totally not knowledgeable when it comes to such things this is my 1st foray into this arena.

I'm going to check out the links you have posted.

I'm excited to get this project going...

I would check with Michael E of gemshoppe.com to see if he can source and cut you a small aqua. I've seen him do that for others before, but depending on the quality of color you want, that might be expensive.

Good luck!!
Tourmaline you're welcome and it isn't hard to find nice things to say about your stunning gemstone rings!
I do have a question for you, I have not yet received my LOGR setting and I did not pay extra to upgrade the diamonds as I agree with you they are quite small. I'm curious as to whether you think the diamonds are pretty since you have seen the setting IRL?
I think from your pics they look very pretty nice bit of sparkle for the price but I don't want to end up with horrid stones that don't sparkle at all.
thanks for all the info!
btrfly,
You are too kind.

As for the LOGR, they're definitely not "frozen spit" diamonds. When I brought the ring in to my jeweler, she said it was a "beautiful setting," so that says something right there. They really do sparkle, and the gold on it isn't flimsy either. I personally don't think my photos do the setting justice, and just do not convey the sparkle that well.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thank you so much tourmaline your words are very reassuring!
I''m not going to worry about the setting now and just look forward to getting it.
Another question, you mentioned that it can be difficult to get a small aqua since the rough is large so my question is any ideas about another gemstone that I could get in a smaller size that you think would look nice in this particular setting?
I went with aqua b/c it is my birthstone and my favorite color is blue but I could go with something else too as long as it suits the setting.
To give you an idea FI''s birthstone is garnet (Jan), mom is peridot, dad is topaz (Nov) and baby brother is blue sapphire which may be expensive so maybe I''ll omit that gemstone.
This is exciting!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rather small, but I love this:

db.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2009 7:40:49 PM
Oh thank you so much tourmaline your words are very reassuring!
I''m not going to worry about the setting now and just look forward to getting it.
Another question, you mentioned that it can be difficult to get a small aqua since the rough is large so my question is any ideas about another gemstone that I could get in a smaller size that you think would look nice in this particular setting?
I went with aqua b/c it is my birthstone and my favorite color is blue but I could go with something else too as long as it suits the setting.
To give you an idea FI''s birthstone is garnet (Jan), mom is peridot, dad is topaz (Nov) and baby brother is blue sapphire which may be expensive so maybe I''ll omit that gemstone.
This is exciting!
Garnets, in particular orange spessartite, looks nice in there. A pink tourmaline??? A rhodolite garnet? The only other light blue stones I can think of are topaz (irradiated) and aquamarine. It''s really difficult to find small oval cuprians.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets come in a variety of colours so it’s a good choice in addition to it being widely available in reasonable in prices. There’s mint garnets, malayas, rhodolites, and a bunch more.
A lot of topazes are coated or nuked but it’s very inexpensive, unless you go for an untreated stone with the exception of a white or colourless topaz.
Blue sapphires can be reasonably priced if you don’t go for the top blues. I believe another PS poster here purchased a pretty light blue sapphire from Gary Dutton www.diamondexpert.com for a good price. Check out his website. His items are reasonably priced and he’s also able to get other gemstones not listed on his website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results