shape
carat
color
clarity

Toronto''s ROM to show 407-carat diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock

World''s third-largest part of Nature of Diamonds exhibit.

The world''s third-largest diamond is buried in the basement of the Royal Ontario Museum.

In a topless steel vault – more show than security – assembled for the museum''s upcoming Nature of Diamonds exhibit, staff unveiled the prized stone on loan from New York.

Susan Ventura, the museum''s lead preparator, has handled Michel-angelo''s sketches and Charles Dickens'' original manuscripts. She fumbled a little yesterday morning trying to put on a pair of purple latex gloves in preparation for the stone, dubbed the Incomparable Diamond for its massive weight and flawlessness.

It''s the piece de resistance in an exhibition that features more than 500 precious gems.

"You should''ve gotten the blue ones," a colleague says of her gloves. "They''re a tighter fit."

"We should''ve gotten the clear ones," Ventura replies. "I just got a manicure."

Once the stone is placed perfectly inside the glass display box, Ventura''s hands will be the last to touch it until the exhibition ends in March.

The triangle-shaped diamond is a deep golden colour and feels no heavier than a hen''s egg, Ventura says. It weighs 407.48 carats. To get an idea of the size, think of Katie Holmes'' oval rock from Tom Cruise and multiply it by 80.

A young girl in the Mbuji-Mayi district of the Democratic Republic of Congo found the stone in the early 1980s. At her uncle''s house, she was messing about in a pile of rubble from a nearby diamond mine. The diamond, which weighed 890 carats in rough form, wound its way to Louis Glick, a prominent figure in the New York diamond industry, who reportedly still owns the diamond today.

It''s estimated to be worth $20 million.

"Sometimes, I wish I didn''t know things like that," Ventura says.

The Nature of Diamonds exhibition opens to the public on Saturday, Oct. 25.

ROMDiamond.jpg

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if there''s any interest in the Toronto area for a GTG, but it might be a fun to do lunch and a tour of the Nature of Diamonds exhibit at the ROM. The exhibit runs from October 25, 2008 to March 22, 2009. I''ll be in Toronto the second half of November if anyone''s interested...

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
**BUMP**

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Yummy!!!!!! I would take it :)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I guess I''ll be going on my own. I''ll try to take photos if they allow it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wanna take me?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I seen the huge posters (signs) at the ROM last weekend when I was in Toronto, and I heading back there this weekend, and hopefully will find time to go see "the diamond". If I do, I will see if we are allowed to take pics, and of course will post them!!
emsmilep.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 2:34:12 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
I''d be interested in going!! I know there are a few other Toronto girls on here...

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have LOVED to come with, but my mum-in-law is specially coming in town to take me to high tea followed by the diamond exhibition as a graduation gift. That said, if you girls will be doing anything after i.e., coffee/drinks, I''d love to join :)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 5:05:56 PM
Author: Harriet
Wanna take me?
Yes, come to the T-Dot! We can explore my home turf!
2.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 7:10:21 AM
Author: beau13
I seen the huge posters (signs) at the ROM last weekend when I was in Toronto, and I heading back there this weekend, and hopefully will find time to go see ''the diamond''. If I do, I will see if we are allowed to take pics, and of course will post them!!
emsmilep.gif
Oh that great; if you can take pictures, please do! Are you only in Toronto for the weekend?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 8:45:09 AM
Author: October2008bride

Date: 11/11/2008 2:34:12 PM
I''d be interested in going!! I know there are a few other Toronto girls on here...
Oh, I''m so glad you''re interested! So much more fun to go with someone interested in gems. Hopefully some other Toronto PSers will see this and join us.

My schedule''s completely open this Friday and all of next week, I think. This weekend''s no good ''cause I have a wedding on the Saturday and after-wedding lunch on Sunday.

Let me know what works for you.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 12:02:54 PM
Author: kama_s
I would have LOVED to come with, but my mum-in-law is specially coming in town to take me to high tea followed by the diamond exhibition as a graduation gift. That said, if you girls will be doing anything after i.e., coffee/drinks, I''d love to join :)
What a thoughtful gift from you MIL!

Keep an eye out for this thread; hopefully we can all get together after. Would love to meet you over some coffee/drinks (fruli).
31.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 3:06:40 PM

Date: 11/12/2008 7:10:21 AM
I seen the huge posters (signs) at the ROM last weekend when I was in Toronto, and I heading back there this weekend, and hopefully will find time to go see ''the diamond''. If I do, I will see if we are allowed to take pics, and of course will post them!!
emsmilep.gif
Oh that great; if you can take pictures, please do! Are you only in Toronto for the weekend?
Yes, I was in Toronto last weekend for my youngest son''s hockey tournament, and going back this weekend for my oldest son''s tournament. I live 3.5 hrs north of Toronto..and my weekend looks like it''s filled with hockey games, not much time for a "social life" lol. I travel to Toronto for hockey MANY times over the course of a winter..so maybe next time I get down there, if it''s still on..I will check it out!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
D''oi! I just saw this thread!!!! I''ll GO I''ll GO!

In fact, I''ve already signed up for and paid for the Monday Nov 17th lecture on "Ethics". Any interest in attending that?

Either way, I''m totally GAME for a TO GTG.

Beau - it''s about time we met in person, non?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 5:57:16 PM
Author: mela lu
D''oi! I just saw this thread!!!! I''ll GO I''ll GO!

In fact, I''ve already signed up for and paid for the Monday Nov 17th lecture on ''Ethics''. Any interest in attending that?

Either way, I''m totally GAME for a TO GTG.

Beau - it''s about time we met in person, non?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
You''re cute!! YES..I''d love to meet up with you Mela Lu..definitely!!
I just HATE driving in Toronto, and I am staying in a hotel near the airport..and not sure when I could find time to get away. My son plays at 6pm on Friday night..Saturday at 12:20, then again at 6pm..and he needs to be at the arena 1hr before games. Hmmm..I will have to give it some thought and see what I come up with!! K?

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
No pressure Beau. If it works, it works. I''ll happily drive you around (miss Daisy) as I''m comfy driving in the city.
Let''s see how it goes...
9.gif

were are all the other Toronto-ites? Can we not scrape together a PS Get together? Sheesh!
39.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I think there's only three of us so far. I know a few of the other T.O. PSers frequent the BWW forum a bit. Maybe we should guide them this way!

ETA: Beau, are/were your sons playing at the Hershey Centre?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 8:47:25 PM
I think there's only three of us so far. I know a few of the other T.O. PSers frequent the BWW forum a bit. Maybe we should guide them this way!

ETA: Beau, are/were your sons playing at the Hershey Centre?
Last weekend we were at the Canlan Ice Sports arena, and Vic Johnston's...it was the Streetsville tourny! This weekend, it's the Mississauga tournament, and we are at the Woodward arena. Do you kids play hockey CDNinNYC?? ($500-$700 weekends out of town every other weekend, between the 2 boys in hockey is adding up to about half the price of the that diamond at the ROM..K..not quite!!) Mela Lu..I will see if I can break away Saturday...will talk to you about it more tomorrow. Nite-nite ladies!!
emotion-20.gif
(that's my yawny face)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 10:07:28 PM
Last weekend we were at the Canlan Ice Sports arena, and Vic Johnston's...it was the Streetsville tourny! This weekend, it's the Mississauga tournament, and we are at the Woodward arena. Do you kids play hockey CDNinNYC?? ($500-$700 weekends out of town every other weekend, between the 2 boys in hockey is adding up to about half the price of the that diamond at the ROM..K..not quite!!) Mela Lu..I will see if I can break away Saturday...will talk to you about it more tomorrow. Nite-nite ladies!!
emotion-20.gif
(that's my yawny face)
Hi beau,

I don't have kids but I know hockey is crazy expensive as a sport!

My parents live in Mississauga and whenever I visit we drive by the Hershey Centre on way home from the airport.

Hope you're sons' teams do well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results