shape
carat
color
clarity

Top ten baby names of the decade and this year

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A ton of my friends are going to have kids with the same name as theirs for sure....

Top 10 girl baby names of the decade

Emma
Emily
Madison
Sophia
Isabella
Kaitlyn
Ava
Hailey
Hannah
Olivia

Top 10 boy baby names of the decade

Aiden
Jacob
Ethan
Matthew
Nicholas
Jack
Joshua
Ryan
Michael
Andrew

Top 10 girl baby names of 2009

Isabella
Sophia
Emma
Olivia
Ava
Madison
Madelyn
Chloe
Lily
Addison

Top 10 boy baby names of 2009

Aiden
Ethan
Jackson
Jayden
Jacob
Noah
Caden
Logan
Lucas
Jack

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I fully expect Sophia to be referred to as Sophia A. for her entire academic career
3.gif
. Unless she chooses to go with her middle name but I don''t think she looks like a "Lynn" to me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:28:19 AM
Author: fiery
I fully expect Sophia to be referred to as Sophia A. for her entire academic career
3.gif
. Unless she chooses to go with her middle name but I don''t think she looks like a ''Lynn'' to me.
That''s OK...she''ll always have the distinction of being the most beautiful Sophia in the room.
2.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
It''s funny to see my 30 year old DH''s name is still in the top 10! Guess Ryan''s a classic
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love all of those girl names. They''re so romantic!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I love the name Ava. It would be in my top 5 if it weren''t in the U.S. Top 5.
3.gif
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is one of our big problems with naming our gestating child. we both like jacob/jake but thank to twilight it has found even CRAZIER popularity, even though it has been in top 10 for years. since i don't want our kid to be one of 20 in his class so i don't think we're going that route.

i love some of the girls' names in the lists...there's such a return to the old names as opposed to the trendier ones we have seen in the last 10+ years. but we're having a boy, focus mara...
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:36:42 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 12/22/2009 11:28:19 AM
Author: fiery
3.gif
. Unless she chooses to go with her middle name but I don''t think she looks like a ''Lynn'' to me.
That''s OK...she''ll always have the distinction of being the most beautiful Sophia in the room.
2.gif
4.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 12:24:35 PM
Author: EBree
I love the name Ava. It would be in my top 5 if it weren''t in the U.S. Top 5.
3.gif
2.gif

As the Mom of an Ava born in the 90''s, it is disappointing that the name is so popular now.
7.gif

After Reese Witherspoon used it, it was all over.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the English list:

Our 2009 year results will be published next September, but doubt there will be much difference... decade results will be out in 2011...

Top 10 girls'' names, in order of popularity:

Olivia
Ruby
Emily
Grace
Jessica
Chloe
Sophie
Lily
Amelia
Evie

Top 10 boy baby names

Jack
Oliver
Thomas
Harry
Joshua
Alfie
Charlie
Daniel
James
William

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I love that all three of us - me, my DH, and our gestating baby - are not anywhere on that list lol. We just have to be weird!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realise that Amelia made it to the top ten in the UK. It isn''t in the Scottish list at all. There were three Amelia''s born in Scotland in 2008 and mine was one of them. (I have too much time on my hands...)

There''s a list of all Scottish given names published every year. Some of them are highly unusual (to put it kindly).

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
My son''s name (Andrew) is number 10 on the list for the decade. I don''t think it was that high up there for 2004 when he was born, but popular overall. I only know of 1 other Andrew in his preschool, so it hasn''t been a big deal so far. Oh and I picked it b/c I was a teacher and had the sweetest boy in our class named Andrew and loved the name after that. If this 2nd child had been a girl, I LOVED the name Ava, but didn''t want something so popular, so it probably would have been out.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Our three nephews'' names are on the top 10 names of the decade - Aiden, Jacob and Nicholas. hehe.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
my little girl''s name slipped into the top 10 in 2009 (she was born 2008 where it was closer to 15). I hope it doesn''t end up in the top 3!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the Canadian list for 2008!

Girl
1 Ava
2 Emma
3 Olivia
4 Chloe, Chloé, Kloé, Kloe, Cloe
5 Sarah, Sara
6 Emily, Emilee
7 Hannah, Hanna, Hana
8 Madison, Maddison, Madisyn
9 Abigail, Abigaile, Abagael, Abagail, Abbagaele, Abbagail, Abbigail, Abbigayle, Abegael
10 Sophia, Sofia

Boy
1 Ethan
2 Nathan, Nathon
3 William
4 Jacob, Jakob
5 Noah
6 Samuel
7 Matthew, Mathew, Mathieu
8 Joshua, Joshau, Joshuwa
9 Benjamin
10 Alexander, Alexandre

And in my province (Québec)...

Girl
1 Léa
2 Jade
3 Rosalie
4 Florence
5 Juliette
6 Gabrielle
7 Sarah
8 Coralie
9 Maika
10 Noémie

Boy
1 William
2 Samuel
3 Gabriel
4 Nathan
5 Alexis
6 Thomas
7 Olivier
8 Félix
9 Antoine
10 Justin

Comparing the lists is very interesting! We picked out Jacob as a potential name for our LO, and it''s on the top ten for Canada in general and the US, but not Qc, and then it''s the other way around for Noémie. We also have Gabriel and Chloé, wich are on the lists, but we chose them as middle names.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess my oldest son''s name has been poplar a long time...his name is Joshua Michael
2.gif

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Grace isn''t on there. And of course Evangeline, Duncan and Henry are not even close to making the list.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m surprised that my son''s name is in the top 10 - I didn''t think that Andrew was that popular anymore ...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly interesting links! I will post them here to compare. Here is the list from the Parent's article (predicts top names for 2019)

GIRLS
1. Lila
2. Peyton
3. Lucy
4. Violet
5. Aubrey
6. Amelia
7. Piper
8. Ruby
9. Juliet
10. Harper

BOYS
1. Miles
2. Rowan
3. Lincoln
4. Eli
5. Jude
6. Cooper
7. Wyatt
8. Ryder
9. Lucas
10. Henry

Here is the list from Freakonomics (predicts top names for 2015)

BOYS
Aidan
Aldo
Anderson
Ansel
Asher
Beckett
Bennett
Carter
Cooper
Finnegan
Flannery
Harper
Jackson
Johan
Keyon
Liam
Maximilian
McGregor
Oliver
Reagan
Sander
Sumner
Will

GIRLS
Annika
Ansley
Ava
Avery
Aviva
Clementine
Eleanora
Ella
Emma
Fiona
Grace
Isabel
Kate
Lara
Linden
Maeve
Marie-Claire
Maya
Philippa
Phoebe
Quinn
Sophie
Waverly

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Names are so fun! One of the bigger papers around here does a list every year of the names from the big hospital there. They do the most popular and then the most unusual. A few years ago, Scotland was one of the girls'' names and we both really liked it, and thought about using it in the future but boy, we could just hear the "Beam me up Scotty"..too bad too, b/c it''s a pretty word!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Interesting to see the variations between the western coutnries (US, Canada, England).

My little girl''s name is high on the list, but I don''t actually know anyone with the same name! Hoping she doesn''t have 3 others in her class..
emsmileo.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 8:03:19 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Kimberly interesting links! I will post them here to compare. Here is the list from the Parent''s article (predicts top names for 2019)
Thanks for doing that, Tacori, didn''t even think to, what a nerd.

I''m hearing Ruby, Harper, Finn, and Liam a lot, won''t be suprised to see them rise.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 11:12:54 AM
Author: KimberlyH

Kimberly interesting links! I will post them here to compare. Here is the list from the Parent's article (predicts top names for 2019)
Thanks for doing that, Tacori, didn't even think to, what a nerd.

I'm hearing Ruby, Harper, Finn, and Liam a lot, won't be suprised to see them rise.

No problem! I thought it might be easier this way. Cool links! I am glad I don't see DD's name on there. My first name is SO popular or I should say was. In my graduating class of 32 girls there were 3 other girls with the same first name.
38.gif
I hated it.

ETA: I heard the most interesting name on a little girl the other day. She was about 3 and her name was Magnolia and her mom called her Maggie.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 6:38:16 PM

Date: 12/23/2009 11:12:54 AM
Author: KimberlyH

Kimberly interesting links! I will post them here to compare. Here is the list from the Parent''s article (predicts top names for 2019)
Thanks for doing that, Tacori, didn''t even think to, what a nerd.

I''m hearing Ruby, Harper, Finn, and Liam a lot, won''t be suprised to see them rise.

No problem! I thought it might be easier this way. Cool links! I am glad I don''t see DD''s name on there. My first name is SO popular or I should say was. In my graduating class of 32 girls there were 3 other girls with the same first name.
38.gif
I hated it.

ETA: I heard the most interesting name on a little girl the other day. She was about 3 and her name was Magnolia and her mom called her Maggie.
I love your daughter''s name; it was on our list of favorites. I babysat a little girl named Tess when I was a teenager and I adored her. It seems wierd to say I''m glad our top name isn''t on any of these lists, it''s not like we can own a name, but I am glad.

Magnolia/Maggy is really cute. My girlfriend had a baby on Sunday, named her Georgia. It wouldn''t be my choice but I absolutely love it for her daughter.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I wouldn''t have thought "Genesis" was in the the top 100 for girls
3.gif
I''ve never met a little girl, or boy for that matter, named genesis.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella, I thought the same thing. How odd.

Kim, everyone always compliments her name so I feel like we made the right choice. I also think it fits her. Do you have the final name yet or are you still figuring it out?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, Just wanted to say I
30.gif
your daughter''s name. From the other threads, it sounds like she definitely keeps you on your toes
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results