• Top loader

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Front loader

Votes: 31 48.4%

• Total voters

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully our house is going to be ready soon, and we'll need all new electrical appliances.

Could you tell me whether you think top or front loading washing machines are better?

There's just the 2 of us, so we don't have mountains of washing every week, and we're not out digging ditches, so our clothes don't get particularly dirty either.

I've always had front loaders in the UK, but they certainly weren't built to last, and of course, drum problems due to uneven distribution of large loads was an issue.

So, what's your experience and recommendations for top vs front loaders?

Thanks in advance.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, top loaders as seen in my parents' homes in Canada are easier to load and unload IMHO. However, they have utility rooms where the washer and separate dryers are situated.

In my houses/flat that I have lived, I do not have the luxury of a utility room, and a front loader is the only option for me as I do not wish to lose valuable worktop space in the kitchen where the washer dryer was/is installed.

In Hong Kong, I had come across narrow/slimline top loading washing machine with a drum that has a door for loading and unloading, ingenious!

DK :))

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
We had a top loader for years with no issues. We had the same machine for 10+ years. Great for washing linen and bulky items that could take up the space in the drum (we like the empty drum not the one with that thing in the middle).

Now we have a front loader and I really hate bending down all the time to load the washing machine. Also can't fit as much so constantly doing washing.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Ive had both and much prefer top loaders. The front loader had all sorts of repairs so I replaced it after just 4 years! I went very basic, a Speed Queen, with my new set and I am loving it. I just don’t need all the bells and whistles to get my laundry clean!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer a top loader. The gasket in the front loader can get moldy..I have a front loader at my other house so it’s not too bad to just leave it open after a wash to dry out. It came with the house. In this house it would be a nuisance to leave the door open.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also have a top-loader, Speed Queen. It's been going strong for almost 10 years now, no issues, no complaints.

I had a front-loader before it that only lasted five years, needed several repairs, and required the door to be left open at all times to avoid the mildew problem. There are other solutions to that, but leaving the door open is the easiest and most effective. For the space our washer and dryer were in, this meant the door was always in the way and also that I could never close the space off. If you have a large mudroom dedicated to laundry, then this would not be an issue.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I didn't vote because I think which type is better just depends on personal preference. I prefer a no-frills set, which includes a top loading washer, unless something has changed. My reasoning is that a basic machine has fewer parts that can need fixing. :)

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have both.

Front loaders are easier on the clothes but top loaders are easier to load and unload.

Front loaders accumulate more mold and bacteria but I keep it open to reduce that but needs more cleaning.

Having said that I prefer my front loader. Greg prefers the top loader. Top loaders are better for heavy duty washes. Front loaders for delicate washes.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Front loader, gentler to my laundry.

I've had a little elevated area installed in my laundry room where the washer and the dryer are... Bending down problem solved. I alway leave the door open and when I go on holidays also the detergent drawer and I've never had any mold problems ( im a but fussy about hygiene, so I run extra hot sanitizing cycles (95°) regularly and I do use machine cleaner too. I cannot stand the thought of icky washing machine interiors as a breeding ground if bacteria.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, top loaders as seen in my parents' homes in Canada are easier to load and unload IMHO. However, they have utility rooms where the washer and separate dryers are situated.

In my houses/flat that I have lived, I do not have the luxury of a utility room, and a front loader is the only option for me as I do not wish to lose valuable worktop space in the kitchen where the washer dryer was/is installed.

In Hong Kong, I had come across narrow/slimline top loading washing machine with a drum that has a door for loading and unloading, ingenious!

Why do you guys call the laundry / wash house the utility room ? :lol-2:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like my front loader, but I've been extremely lucky in that I havent had any issues with it (knock on wood!), but the canadian cleaning maven GoCleanCo swears by the top loader, and I think she uses the same as most in this thread, the speed queen. You can also soak clothing in a top loader (stripping or pre-treating). Personally I think top loaders hurt my back more as I have to bend so far into the machine to grab the clothing!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im under the impression front loaders take a long time to do a cycle

Do you have room to mount the dryer on the wall ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like my front loader, but I've been extremely lucky in that I havent had any issues with it (knock on wood!), but the canadian cleaning maven GoCleanCo swears by the top loader, and I think she uses the same as most in this thread, the speed queen. You can also soak clothing in a top loader (stripping or pre-treating). Personally I think top loaders hurt my back more as I have to bend so far into the machine to grab the clothing!

Soaking is a very good poinf
I use that option every week to keep the towels soft as we usuallu line dry

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im under the impression front loaders take a long time to do a cycle

Do you have room to mount the dryer on the wall ?

I have a number of different cycles on my front loader. Speed wash (10-20 minutes) to delicate (32-42 minutes) to regular to extra sanitizing (2 hours).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
in this house it came with a front loader. No issues with it. I do keep open to dry out between washes, and every few months do a cleaning load which is a 4 hour wash. The previous house had a top loader. No issues with it either.

His house has Miele but then again he's not exactly there all that often...lol I have samsung in my house, and the old house had speed queen. I would go with Miele or speedqueen for the next go round.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a number of different cycles on my front loader. Speed wash (10-20 minutes) to delicate (32-42 minutes) to regular to extra sanitizing (2 hours).

How much powder / liquid does a fromt loader take ?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
We bought a front loader because, at that time, they were supposed to be more water efficient, easier on the fabrics, and it also worked better in our laundry/mud room. We have a Whirlpool Duet, and have never had an issue with musty smells, and I never leave the door open. I have wiped behind the gasket once and it wasn't even that bad. My sister has an LG and has to leave her door open constantly to avoid the smell (good thing she can close the door to the room) I don't know if it is a brand issue or a climate tissue (she lives in Texas, I am in Michigan) or even a water supply issue.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you guys call the laundry / wash house the utility room ? :lol-2:

I don't know! I believe in the old houses, that's where the electricity, gas and water supplies would come into the house, hence the utility room. However, this is only a guess.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know! I believe in the old houses, that's where the electricity, gas and water supplies would come into the house, hence the utility room. However, this is only a guess.

Well that makes sence
Actually when i was a kid before mum and dad had the gad taken out the gas thingy was in a cupboard in the laundry under where mum kept the shoe polish

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LOVE Miele front loader. Pedestals a necessity. I don't like reaching down into the abyss of a top loader.

cheers--Sharon

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like reaching down into the abyss of a top loader.

Me neither. I'm short and hate using footstools. Front loader all the way, and also is gentler on my clothing.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

FWIW, when I forget to take my down duvets for professional laundering, I go to an excellent laundromat (family friends own it) for washing. 90% of their machines are front loaders. Must be a few advantages of having FL vs. TL if businesses use them.

cheers--Sharon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a top loader person. I've had the same machine for probably 20 years. It works, it doesn't break. It is easy on my back. And I'd prefer to be easier on my back than worry about easy on my clothes. I've never had my top loader damage anything anyway. And it's not an issue for me to reach into it. I'm not super tall, but not really short either. So maybe height impacts preferences. If I had to replace it, I'd buy another top loader. And I buy simple appliances as someone noted above, they break less.

Oh and @Daisys and Diamonds where I live, the older houses have their washers and dryers in the basement. Newer homes tend to have them on the same level as the master bedroom. We don't generally have "utility rooms". But I know what they are because I had one in Florida when I was growing up and there were no basements there.

Last edited:
Ooo totally following this thread.

I had an Electrolux front loader at our last home and it was ammmmazing. Clothes always came out super clean, dry, and fluffy. But yeah, the rim does get mold easily if you don't wipe it down after each use.

But at our current place, we inherited a washer that's around 15 years old. I hate it. Clothes don't ever seem clean enough. And having to bend so far down when you're barely 5' tall is no fun. But maybe a newer model may work much better?

Anyways, this is gonna be so helpful when I can finally kick that W&D set to the curb!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your replies.

@dk168 space isn’t an issue in the new, although the utility isn’t huge, there’s plenty of room for either configuration.

@maryjane04 and @MamaBear, that’s pretty much my thinking. I’d need pedestals if I had front loaders, so that all added $$$, plus I don’t need one that sings and dances. :mrgreen:

@rainydaze @MamaBee @seaurchin @donnabrsd my original front loader lasted years, but subsequent ones only a few years. The engineer said they were deliberately using lower quality parts in order to get repeat business!

From what I’ve read @missy, energy rated top loaders now have an impeller rather than the central agitator (or alligator as I thought they were called when I was a child :lol:) so are gentler on clothes than they used to be. A larger capacity would be an advantage for extra bedding when we have visitors .

Even wiping down the seal after use, I still got mould @MaisOuiMadame.

Thanks for the rec @Arcadian.

We’ve just always called it the utility room @Daisys and Diamonds, like DK says, usually it housed our boiler and sometimes the main house fuse box.

That’s interesting @RMOO I’m in Tx also.

Pedestals would be a necessity if we go for front loader @canuk-gal and @Kim N.

Thanks @Lookinagain, I don’t think the height thing will be an issue for me either, and I’m of the same opinion, I only use a couple of cycles, so don’t need one that has hundreds to choose from.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had both and currently have a front loader. I have not had repair issues with it but I won’t have another - mostly from other issues that others have stated. Some top loaders today also come without agitators so easier on the clothes. The front loaders on pedestals take up more room and the extra height makes them harder for me to fold clothes on top of them - lol! Will definitely do top loader again when time to replace.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results