shape
carat
color
clarity

Tooting a horn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I hope no-one minds the tooting an off-topic horn here.
emotion-19.gif

In my former career I was an associate band director here in Texas. Last week in Indianapolis my old school, LD Bell, won the national championship! It’s such a wonderful, dedicated team of staff, students and community. I’m so proud of them.

The night before they left for nationals the head director had me out to give a motivational speech to the students. Their focus and maturity was so evident. Many I used to teach have graduated, but every percussionist on the field was one I started in junior high. I got pretty emotional watching them bring home the top award after 3 days of intense competition.

These marching arts activities like band & drum corps are a pretty intense sub-culture (much like those of us who are way into diamonds). We won 2 state championships and a national percussion title while I was full-time at LD Bell. This BOA championship is a huge deal in that world. I’m very grateful to WF for encouraging me to stay active in public education by judging & teaching part-time.
1.gif

eagle-boa.jpg

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's great news-congratulations for their win!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
The must have been some kind of speech. Win one for the Quixoter? Congrats JQ!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am so totally NOT surprised! You are a class act and I am sure you were an incredible educator then, just like you are now!

Congratulations!

Wink

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is just so cool John. thanks for sharing and congrats to LD Bell!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Heard a horn blasting...had to check it out! How proud you must be! That motivational skill of yours is really something! Think you got the results you were after? I believe you did!! I am sure your encouraging speech is something they will associate with their successful achievement with sincere appreciation.

What really rocks is how passionate you remain in support of some obviously VERY talented top tier musicians!

I can''t carry a tune, (that isn''t on a platter), but I have joined in the rear of the march...in cheering on your success!! Stick another feather in your hat! Woo WOO!

§

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome!!! Congrats to the kids!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Congrats to them! I used to do that (I play the trumpet, although not so much these days) and it''s so much fun!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
More band geeks?!? I knew I belonged here!!
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! And -- congrats! Thanks for sharing, John. You have every reason to be so proud!

Lynn

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s wonderful John!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats John

Both of my children were in military-style high school band. Yep, right here in Houston. (can you guess which one!)
From what I understand, military marching bands are few and far between. It''s hard work and requires lots of concentration.
Kudos to you for taking the time to connect with our future leaders.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome John! Congratulations!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats and kudos to the kids!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
JQ,

Congratulations to both you, and them. Also...

Date: 11/25/2007 2:07:47 PM
Author:JohnQuixote
I’m very grateful to WF for encouraging me to stay active in public education by judging & teaching part-time.
1.gif
...thanks to WF for supporting you, too...and to you...for making the time to keep this in your life.

Warm regards,

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome John!
Congrats to you and your band kids.
You are a great educator and you must be a truly amazing motivational speaker!!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ahh L.D. Bell! I used to have my dance recital''s there! That is so exciting! They have ALWAYS had a great band!!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations, John.

You clearly created a great basis, for your pupils, to work from.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Sir John and to LD Bell!!

bounc456.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Realistically, all credit is due the current staff, students and community for months of preparation and effort, as well as a foundation of many years of high standards… But I’d like to think my moments of inspiration didn’t hurt their chances.
2.gif
WMW, DKS & KT - I was the motivational “speech” guy when I was there full-time (Can you imagine? Moi? Having things to say?) so it was an honor to be asked to address them this year.

Something I've always stressed as an instructor is focusing on the journey rather than the end result. In all my years I never had a student return and ask to see the trophies they earned. Years after placements and medals have faded those who keep in touch (in some cases to tell of their children – man I’m old!) talk about the people, the experiences and what they learned as a result of teamwork and pursuit of excellence. My teaching philosophy has always been that if you focus on proper process one day at a time the results will take care of themselves. Proudly, that’s exactly what these 280 kids did.

Every year there are amazing groups at nats and in a time when we hear so many bad reports about teens, crime, etc., it's refreshing to see and interact with kids who are doing the right things.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 6:57:46 PM
Author: bebe
Congrats John

Both of my children were in military-style high school band. Yep, right here in Houston. (can you guess which one!)
From what I understand, military marching bands are few and far between. It''s hard work and requires lots of concentration.
Kudos to you for taking the time to connect with our future leaders.
I know Kingwood HS well Bebe.
1.gif
I’ve judged there and out in Longview (another MMB), though it’s been some years.

Did you know that in 1997 KHS earned first place from both visual judges at the UIL state prelims? That created a stir because of the stylistic differences in modern ‘marching arts’ versus traditional MMB. Regardless, anyone watching had to agree. The precision of a traditional military group is a style all its own. I have not been keeping up with NAMMB, but would expect that KHS still participates there with great success?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
John,

My kiddos graduated in 2003 and 2005. The band was awesome up until a few years ago. It was certainly a sight to see that huge band on the field during halftime or during competitions.
I didn''t know about the 2 first places, but I bet my kids knew about it. Competitions were so important, it seemed the entire community got into it. But after a certain director left, things changed and I don''t think the band will ever be the same, so sad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats John! I''m a former band nerd...my high school competed at Center Grove outside of Indy one year, I will never forget that cold, and terribly windy night when my flag went flying and was not to be caught since the wind took it halfway down the field, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results