shape
carat
color
clarity

Toi-et-moi rings vs. owl rings

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I recently bought a deco ring set with two purple sapphires. The listing claimed they were synthetic, but to my surprise and delight, they turned out to be natural. (I've crowed about this in previous threads.)

I stopped by a favorite antique jewelry store this afternoon and chatted with the wonderful owner, who told me he calls these rings with two stones side by side "owl rings." He said nobody wants them. I said I thought toi-et-moi rings were very popular. He said this was not a toi-et-moi (or as he called it, moi-et-toi)--he reserves that name for two-stone bypass rings, which he says fly out of his store, but "owl rings" sit unsold.

This amused me because when my DH saw this ring, he said, "It's a hideous owl!" And it DOES look like an owl--that was my first thought too. I love its owliness.

The shop owner said he would price this ring at seven times what I paid for it if he were selling it--"but I wouldn't actually be selling it, because nobody would buy it."

Is this true, in your experience? Do bypass rings float everybody's boat, but side-by-side "owl rings" are a drug on the market?

Here's my owl ring:

IMG_3200.jpeg IMG_3162.jpeg

And here are a couple of more typical bypass rings:

demantoid4.jpg

IMG_2504.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it does look like an owl
i do rather like it
its unusual and the stones are lovely
but ive never seen an owl in daylight, only heard them at night
i think it is wonderful you love something that is not in demand making the price a win win for you
perhaps this will become a signiture piece for you
1702791709240.png

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s still called a moi toi imho but every time I do see rings like that I think owl or some type of face. Occasionally I’ll see one that looks like boobs lol! I do rather like the owl ones.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It’s still called a moi toi imho but every time I do see rings like that I think owl or some type of face. Occasionally I’ll see one that looks like boobs lol! I do rather like the owl ones.

Boobs! LOL! Maybe that’s why those rings aren’t popular in his shop?
On the other hand, who doesn’t like boobs?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting to hear his perspective from someone who has experience selling to the public. I personally prefer your style of ring over the other toi et moi styles because I'm a size girl and like the real estate occupied by your gems. I'm envious of the amazing find you made and hope his words don't take any shine off it for you. (If so, my collection is glaringly missing purple sapphires! Lol)

But I will also say I was told by a local jeweler that my O-P oec isn't really desirable either and I should take a look at his MRBs instead. So sometimes they are just full of s#&t too.

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting to hear his perspective from someone who has experience selling to the public. I personally prefer your style of ring over the other toi et moi styles because I'm a size girl and like the real estate occupied by your gems. I'm envious of the amazing find you made and hope his words don't take any shine off it for you. (If so, my collection is glaringly missing purple sapphires! Lol)

But I will also say I was told by a local jeweler that my O-P oec isn't really desirable either and I should take a look at his MRBs instead. So sometimes they are just full of s#&t too.

Thank you, Mrs S! No, this shop owner wasn't being mean or rude about my ring--he was just a enjoying having detailed discussion with a fellow antique-jewelry enthusiast. He's not that kind of salesman. He was extremely complimentary about all the other jewelry I was wearing (my grandparents' OEC in its antique deco setting and a parure of Victorian gold with enamel and pearls--a set of matching earrings, a pendant, and a locket-brooch with its own matching dangle). He wasn't even particularly trying to sell me anything. He also brought out an amazing treasure he'd recently found, which he isn't even selling in his shop, just to show it to someone who would appreciate it.

It was more like, "Oh, someone who appreciates owl rings! My customers don't, so I don't sell them, but aren't they great? And what a good deal you got on yours, with those natural sapphires." Not in those words, but that general idea.

(And grrrr to your local jeweler who was rude about your O/P OEC! A pox on his MRBs!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results