shape
carat
color
clarity

To the guys who''ve proposed/proposing overseas..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mvyoung2

Rough_Rock
Alright fellas I have some questions regarding engagement rings and customs.

Have any of you had any problems going through customs with your rock? I don''t travel international except for Vancouver and Mexico so I''m a little green to what you need to declare and if I''m going to have to pay duty?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am not a guy but my FI proposed to me in Paris, he took the ring from NY through the whole of Europe and he did not have an issue.

You best of reading a travel advisory site to check on the rules for individual countries just in case.

GL :)

mvyoung2

Rough_Rock
ah yes perhaps I should edit the title =P

Yeah I''ve already spent a great deal of time trying to find something online but probably will have to resort to calling tsa or something. Last thing I want to do is have problems in hong kong!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
LOL it''s okay :)

This is the Aussie Gov''t travel site Smart Traveler and it doesn''t mention anything about duties for Hong Kong for jewelery at all but best to call your own foreign affairs department to just double check :).

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
I''m going to be proposing in Paris in about 5 days, I would be more than happy to tell you how things go when I get back. Personally I''m not going to declare anything, I am going to be carrying the ring on me and will have the receipt in my carry on to prove where I bought it and that I did buy it, so as to avoid any potential problems. From what I''ve read on the subject it doesn''t sound like too many people have had issues before, but I definitely understand your hesitance. I''m not to sure about Hong Kong, I know that the Chinese customs are probably much different than the European, but my logic for the way I''m doing things is that you will or she will probably be wearing jewelry on the plane and around the country, so why should this be any different. If you have already purchased it, are carrying it on you, and then she is wearing it on the way back, I don''t see how you could have an issue. Especially if you have the receipt proving where you bought it. Of course now that I say that something will probably go wrong, but if you explain what you are doing I''m sure that would probably resolve the issue, though doing that you might have to propose at the airport as opposed to your planned destination. Anyways, I will let you know how things go on my trip when I get back in 12 days. If you''re leaving before then good luck!!!

mvyoung2

Rough_Rock
Hey DC sorry I just saw your post today. How did the proposal go?? Sure it went great! Anyways yeah if you could enlighten me about the customs situation that would be superb. I''m leaving actually in 4 days in HK and couldn''t be more nervous. I think that''s a great idea to carry to recipe so I''ll have to remember that.. anyways, if you see this in time great if not, no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results