shape
carat
color
clarity

to set or not to set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gshanks

Rough_Rock
What do you folks recommend regarding the setting of a diamond bought on-line? If the vendor has a setting I like, should I just go ahead and them set it before they send it to me? Or, should I buy the diamond loose and have a local jeweler set it?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2005 8:16:53 PM
Author:gshanks
What do you folks recommend regarding the setting of a diamond bought on-line? If the vendor has a setting I like, should I just go ahead and them set it before they send it to me? Or, should I buy the diamond loose and have a local jeweler set it?
gshanks:

If the vendor has a setting you like I would have them set it before shpping it to you. This is the most common sense approach and will avoid handling the stone un-set more than it needs to be.

35.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Do your sums of course.

A lot depends on the relationship you have with your local jeweller. If he/she has a good range of settings you like, will customise rings for you and is happy to set a stone you bought elsewhere for a price that''s fair, then you have a gem[$$)]

If your buying the stone with the hope of finding such a jeweller, then I''d say, yes, save the hassle and get it done by the people who you buy the stone off. It may mean a little extra shopping around to find a vendor with a setting you like at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results