shape
carat
color
clarity

To plate or not to plate current e-ring to yellow gold?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hello PSers,

I’ve begun the difficult (but fun) process of starting to figure out how I want to upgrade my wedding band and/or e-ring.

Currently both are white gold but I confidently know that I want to change to 18k yellow gold for all my jewelry pieces moving forward.

While trying on some bands in yellow gold with a local jeweler she recommended that I re-plate my e-ring setting to yellow gold versus buying a completely new setting.

Any cons that come to mind for re-plating jewelry? Is it durable and would it really only plate the metal and not affect the diamonds? (I have very tiny diamonds running along the band and also a halo set with small diamonds)

Also, worst case scenario…if I hate how my current setting looks in yellow gold (again I know I *want* yellow gold but unsure how my center stone and setting will look as a yellow gold ensemble), would re/plating it back to white gold be an option? Even typing that out seems like something that would not be an ideal situation :???:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you go to a store and try on a set similar to yours in yellow gold before making any changes? I don't know the cons of re-plating jewelry, but if you know you want to switch to all yellow gold moving forward, I'd get a new set and sell or re-purpose your old one.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Can you go to a store and try on a set similar to yours in yellow gold before making any changes? I don't know the cons of re-plating jewelry, but if you know you want to switch to all yellow gold moving forward, I'd get a new set and sell or re-purpose your old one.

That’s not a bad idea, I actually know someone (that I don’t see often however) who has a halo set in yellow gold. Maybe I’ll talk to her or post her a visit. Thank you.

As you mentioned, I do wonder if it’s “simpler” to start all over versus trying to make what I have work. Definitely not ready right now or if ever to sell due to sentimental reasons though.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s not a bad idea, I actually know someone (that I don’t see often however) who has a halo set in yellow gold. Maybe I’ll talk to her or post her a visit. Thank you.

As you mentioned, I do wonder if it’s “simpler” to start all over versus trying to make what I have work. Definitely not ready right now or if ever to sell due to sentimental reasons though.

I think your white gold set would look gorgeous as a RHR with a colored stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how gold plating wears but I have my 18kt white gold rings rhodium plated every year.
On the underneath part of the shank it wears off.
Im guessing it will be similar with yellow gold plating, that you will need to keep replating.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Not sure how gold plating wears but I have my 18kt white gold rings rhodium plated every year.
On the underneath part of the shank it wears off.
Im guessing it will be similar with yellow gold plating, that you will need to keep replating.

Thanks for the insight! Seems like plating might just be a quick fix type method that needs maintenance. This was helpful to know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results