shape
carat
color
clarity

To Keep or Not to Keep... that is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 11:39:38 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I understand you wanting visual justifcation for $$ spent--it is natural to seek added value in a diamond--whether it is size, clarity, color or cut. That said, I tried on a 7.4 asscher this weekend--and it was definately too big (yes, yes even for me....LOL); but there is a happy medium and perhaps for you it is a 5 carat stone. How do you know unless you see for yourself? Check it out, make your comparisons and satisfy your heart and head. Since you are in the market, you should get exactly what you want!

cheers--Sharon
Thanks Sharon -- yes, it''s all about justifying... the head vs heart decision. DH has been so great about this -- what a man I''ve got. I just feel like this is a ton of $$ to be spending on something.... and I''m a diamond crazy girl....

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
If you check it out and find out that the larger stones are over the top or not worth the extra $$$, there is really nothing lost. That way you will have no regrets or wonder.....

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for the 5ct Asscher if yr finances allow it. I am speaking from personal experience. Although I love my 3ct RB primarily for sentimental reasons, I wish many many times that I''d gone one or two grades down in colour and/ or clarity to get a bigger diamond. DSS sets in almost immediately and it sounds to me like it already has for you. Believe me, if you get this stone, you will definitely always be yearning for a larger one. I am on the hunt for a 5ct Lucida or a HW emerald and until I get it, I won''t rest easy, LOL. The cost of this additional diamond is what''s killing me (or rather DH) and we''re thinking hard before we part with the money. If I hadn''t got the 3ct, I prob would have got the 5ct by now.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
LOL, I agree. If anything, it gets "smaller" over time. So, if this is your "first and last" upgrade then get want you really want and not have to second-guess yourself. Good Luck!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone you have is quite lovely. But, if the size bothers you, go with caution. If you think it looks small, it''s going to be an issue for you and you may feel even much worse in six months time.

I have seen quite a few 5 ct asschers around here and they are not gaudy or overly large. The asscher carries larger sizes very nicely and the face up is smaller, as you know.

My advice, take your time and get in the larger stones. Find some (if possible in that size, but even a CZ will give the proportionate idea) that are in a setting already so you can get a very clear view of how the ring will look on your hand. Sometimes it is hard to judge from those stone holders.

LienTN has it right - if you settle for this one and then want an upgrade in the nearish future, your DH may not be happy at all! So if you need to, spend the extra now so that you can keep the stone for decades.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
The 4c asscher is beautiful!!!
36.gif
But if you''ve seen a 5c+ and loved it, then now''s the time to make the change if finances allow.
35.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I think the stone itself is gorgeous but if you want bigger then go for it!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That stone is sublime! Truely beautiful......might to be hard to part with?

cheers--Sharon

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 8:41:29 PM
HI:

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon -- yes, it''s beginning to really grow on me -- I''m just indecisive as I want to be sure this is the right one... we didn''t shop around a lot, and I''m kind of sad that the "hunt" is over... I''m still going to check out a couple stones next week to make the final decision... but I have a feeling this is a special stone -- one that I could stare into for many years to come!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2007 8:46:37 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon -- yes, it''s beginning to really grow on me -- I''m just indecisive as I want to be sure this is the right one... we didn''t shop around a lot, and I''m kind of sad that the ''hunt'' is over... I''m still going to check out a couple stones next week to make the final decision... but I have a feeling this is a special stone -- one that I could stare into for many years to come!
HI:

Easily!!! For what it''s worth, I bought my 5 carat upgrade in one hour......after 10 months of looking!!
6.gif
. I changed my mind more than a few times ended up with something I''d never considered before both in terms of size and shape. It was one of those "spoke to me" rings, and there ended my search. However, I had put in my "time"..
3.gif
(satisfied my heart and head......) So do what you need to do!!

cheers--Sharon

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 8:55:32 PM

Date: 11/22/2007 8:46:37 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon -- yes, it''s beginning to really grow on me -- I''m just indecisive as I want to be sure this is the right one... we didn''t shop around a lot, and I''m kind of sad that the ''hunt'' is over... I''m still going to check out a couple stones next week to make the final decision... but I have a feeling this is a special stone -- one that I could stare into for many years to come!
HI:

Easily!!! For what it''s worth, I bought my 5 carat upgrade in one hour......after 10 months of looking!!
6.gif
. I changed my mind more than a few times ended up with something I''d never considered before both in terms of size and shape. It was one of those ''spoke to me'' rings, and there ended my search. However, I had put in my ''time''..
3.gif
(satisfied my heart and head......) So do what you need to do!!

cheers--Sharon
Mmmmm 5 carat --- now that''s an upgrade!!!
30.gif
Guess, I could try to hit up DH in another 10 years!!!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! That diamond is really huge!! And spectacular!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That rock looks more then sizeable on your hand me personally I would keep it :)

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Deelight -- just feel so silly even contemplating, I am a RB girl at heart, but wanted a different shape for the upgrade that still "sparkled"... still getting used to a step cut, and with some of the PS ladies who owned asschers jumping ship to RB''s makes me wonder how I will feel down the road... (sigh) just have to leap I guess!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
my GOSH! I''m revisiting this and looking at those hand pics. I honestly cannot see where you''d want anything bigger than that!! It''s covering practically your whole finger!!!

Now, I''m really not trying to bring down the big rock party here, I love the beauty of a big diamond as much as the next gal - HOWEVER. There comes a point, IMHO, where a diamond (or other gem) is so large that is crosses out of the whole realm of wearable jewelry. Please don''t confuse my opinion with distaste, but rather a discernment for how out of control this whole "shrinkage" pandemic has become!!
25.gif

Whatever happened to the beautiful, well-proportional gem placed tastefully on your finger in a pretty bit of metal that you can see on either side of it? What happened to the diamond that is easy to wear every day, that slides into pants pockets along with your hand, that puts no questions in anyone''s mind whether it''s real or fake? I understand the bigger diamond always wins the beauty pageant, but - at least on a finger - I really do think there comes a point where a diamond is

just
too
big.
23.gif

*waits for the virtual dirty looks and guffaws*

I know. I realize what I have just said. But. Hear me out here. Your new upgrade, although breathtakingly gorgeous, might slightly approach "good lord that''s honkin" status - esp. on your teeny hand - and anything bigger just seems like, well....like overkill. Sorta.

(don''t hate me)

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 10:48:01 PM
Author: tberube
my GOSH! I''m revisiting this and looking at those hand pics. I honestly cannot see where you''d want anything bigger than that!! It''s covering practically your whole finger!!!

Now, I''m really not trying to bring down the big rock party here, I love the beauty of a big diamond as much as the next gal - HOWEVER. There comes a point, IMHO, where a diamond (or other gem) is so large that is crosses out of the whole realm of wearable jewelry. Please don''t confuse my opinion with distaste, but rather a discernment for how out of control this whole ''shrinkage'' pandemic has become!!
25.gif

Whatever happened to the beautiful, well-proportional gem placed tastefully on your finger in a pretty bit of metal that you can see on either side of it? What happened to the diamond that is easy to wear every day, that slides into pants pockets along with your hand, that puts no questions in anyone''s mind whether it''s real or fake? I understand the bigger diamond always wins the beauty pageant, but - at least on a finger - I really do think there comes a point where a diamond is

just
too
big.
23.gif

*waits for the virtual dirty looks and guffaws*

I know. I realize what I have just said. But. Hear me out here. Your new upgrade, although breathtakingly gorgeous, might slightly approach ''good lord that''s honkin'' status - esp. on your teeny hand - and anything bigger just seems like, well....like overkill. Sorta.

(don''t hate me)
rube -- thanks for the post -- and I''m not a "hater" in any way, so no worries!

I understand your points, and I love all diamonds, regardless of size/shape. Just trying to find the right one for ... me.
I like the size, just want to satisify my crave for size as I always felt my 1.5 could of been a smidge bigger. I''m thinking this will do it, but time will tell.... this stone faces up as a 2.5 round, not like a 4ct round (which would be way too huge on my fingers) -- which gives it an elegant look. I feel very comfortable wearing this everyday... but I would also be comfortable wearing a 6ct emerald cut too!!! Again, it''s all personal preference :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it looks gorgeous. You know your lifestyle and social circle and whether or not you''d feel comfortable. heck, kristydarling has a 3.5 carat round with pear sides on a size 3.5 so your asscher isn''t as big on you and for me, rounds can get to looking too big a lot faster than fancy cuts. If you love the stone, keep it, if you really do think it''s too small, don''t settle and wait for exactly what you want. what type of setting are you thinking about?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 11:29:55 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i think it looks gorgeous. You know your lifestyle and social circle and whether or not you''d feel comfortable. heck, kristydarling has a 3.5 carat round with pear sides on a size 3.5 so your asscher isn''t as big on you and for me, rounds can get to looking too big a lot faster than fancy cuts. If you love the stone, keep it, if you really do think it''s too small, don''t settle and wait for exactly what you want. what type of setting are you thinking about?
Thanks mrssalvo -- I do love the stone. Just wish I could have a diamond in every shape!!
1.gif

I''m thinking of doing something simple, either tapered bags, or tapered bullets, not sure about single or double claw...

cartierasschersetting.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love that setting you post and w/double claws would be soooo amazing! I love your stone and it looks perfect on your finger!!!!!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Did you mention the specific dimensions of the stone? or did I miss it? I think it looks great... and God created halos for shrinkage! Where did you find that beauty?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 12:28:14 AM
Author: Skippy123
Wow, I love that setting you post and w/double claws would be soooo amazing! I love your stone and it looks perfect on your finger!!!!!

Ditto all the way all that is missing from that setting is the double claws, Leon has some beautiful double claw asscher settings
18.gif
I *heart* double claws they looks amazing with squarish stones

From the photo's you have posted that diamond looks very proportionate to your finger, not overly large that is comical nor small that it gets lost more like just right IMO, it would be a proportion I would have no problems wearing (and would do so gladly)
4.gif

CRiLLiS

Rough_Rock
I think this Vatche double claw X-prong would turn it out! BTW, if you want every cut then you''d def want a "Princess of Hearts Cut", not to be confused with a "Princess Cut"; look it up on Google
34.gif
...Stunning!

xprong5631.jpg

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
did you consider maybe placing it in a halo setting...that way you can keep that AMAZING stone and the halp gives you a bit more finger coverage, its just a thought considering all the amazing halo settings we have seen and can be created

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay after seeing hand shots, you have to keep that stone. it''s a friggin knockout!

and love the setting you posted with tapered bags on the sides, beautiful and classy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 1:33:06 PM
Author: Mara
okay after seeing hand shots, you have to keep that stone. it''s a friggin knockout!

and love the setting you posted with tapered bags on the sides, beautiful and classy.
I agree!

And a classic setting like the one with tapered baguettes is perfect. Please don''t halo that gorgeous stone! I am not adverse to halos, but it would go from blingtastic to blingmonster!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results