color
clarity

To 'J" or not to "J"...that is the question...for 2+ carat

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Re: To 'J" or not to "J"...that is the question...for 2+ car

apacherose|1423063955|3827207 said:
baroque|1423004321|3826858 said:
So...In my attempt to decide Size vs Color compromise, I ventured out to a Hearts On Fire jeweler today for educational purposes and boy was it educational…

I am THRILLED that you did this. That was a very productive trip!!!

Knowing what you know now, I'd definitely try on that gorgeous J in the photos. Does the vendor have a good upgrade policy? It is kind of cool to think you could always go up in color in the future if you decide to. It will be noticeably bigger than the 'I'. They could be really close in color anyways, and now I'm not scared that you haven't seen 'J's' IRL. If your dilemma was with a 'G' stone I might have more reservations, but, meh- in this case with the colors so close my vote goes for size. Good luck!

Thanks apacherose, yes, the vendor has an upgrade policy...however, when I casually mentioned the word "upgrade" to my husband the other day, he looked at me like I had two heads! "Upgrade?!?" so...pretty much need to be sure with my final decision on this one. The vendor has a return policy, but I believe we have to pay return shipping and the original shipping cost if we return it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

I think you were wise to go see some Hearts on Fire stones in person so that you could see what different colors of ideal cut diamonds look like. That's what I did when I was looking to upgrade. I also went to Tiffany's to get an idea of what carat weight looked nicest and most proportional on my hand. At the end of the day it is about priorities and compromise and only you can decide which factors are most important to you. I too was looking at two carat plus stones and ended up with an I color and I am completely comfortable with it even though the diamond in my old ring was an F. Whatever you decide I'll bet you end up with a gorgeous diamond and please come back to post pictures for us.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Yssie|1423067161|3827234 said:
apacherose|1423064574|3827216 said:
Yssie|1422763510|3825332 said:
Interesting that you have noted the colour/apparent size comparison! I re-read what I wrote and realised that I was completely unclear re. "higher colour" - I actually find colourless (whiter) stones to look larger than lower-coloured (J, K, L, etc.) stones of the same size and proportions... but I adore my lower-colours anyway :bigsmile: People really do see things differently! It's definitely the best argument for going with what your eyes prefer, as you said ::)

ETA: I remember that pic! The other half was home sick that day and thought I'd gone 'round the bend, painting diamonds with nail polish...

We must have been on the same wave-length, because what you meant was completely clear to me when I read it. :lol: on the nail polish.

baroque|1423004321|3826858 said:
Thanks apacherose, yes, the vendor has an upgrade policy...however, when I casually mentioned the word "upgrade" to my husband the other day, he looked at me like I had two heads! "Upgrade?!?" so...pretty much need to be sure with my final decision on this one. The vendor has a return policy, but I believe we have to pay return shipping and the original shipping cost if we return it.

Haha- okay. Well you will have to do your best. Probably not going wrong whichever way you go.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also went to I color when I upgraded to over 2 cts. I looked at a J but just couldn't do it. Right now I am working on upgrading my studs, and it is even painful for me to go from H to I in those, but it will help the price!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a great chart. Keep in mind colour is less apparent in the face up position.

d_comparsion_152_chart_of_colours_tint.png

baroque

Shiny_Rock

Guess what? I'm flying to Houston today! I just couldn't pull the trigger on this big of a decision going in blind.
So excited to be going! I will get to see them, and other options, tomorrow. I'll take pics...and keep you posted.
P.S. My husband thinks I've lost my mind...but he's been married to me long enough to know that anyway! hehe!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

How exciting! Can't wait to hear about your trip. Take lots of photos to share with us.

mns12

Shiny_Rock

That is awesome. Very jealous as I am in a similar predicament (deciding on H or I in 1.8- 2ct) and would LOVE to be able to see BGD and Whiteflash in person. Have fun and good luck!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have a round ideal cut 2.47ct J that I bought because I balanced the trade off with size & colour. I mounted it in a platinum setting with 3/4 eternity of round french pave stones. No halo around the stone mind you. I DO see tint, although faint tint, but I know its there. I went from a 1.57 G ideal cut to the J. Like I said, a trade off for size versus colour. Halo's weren't as popular then. Had they been, I most likely would have upgraded to a smaller H or I & halo'd it. My brother bought my sister in law an I colour & I can see a difference in her stone versus mine. My suggestion is to use your own eyes. If you think you are ok with it, then no brainer, buy it. If you think no..cant do it, try going down a grade 1st before making any rash decisions to go even lower. Perhaps just that one grade down may make a difference. Now, if you plan on halo'ing the stone, perhaps stick with the J. All in all...go LOOK at some in person so you know what your maximum standards are. Even if you see only K or M's...You will then learn about your preference. ;)) After all, in the grande scheme of things, you or your fiancé need be the only 2 to have to LOVE it. If I were doing my setting today, I would do a rose gold head & high colour melee with platinum shank & diamond pave. ;-) Just to add about expressed public opinion on my ring. NO one thought it was a J. I never tell them its a J because quite frankly in a social setting there isn't any time to educate re: ideal cut & the details of the crown & pavilion angles. But I graciously accept the compliments on my stone. If I'm asked the colour, I always go up 1 grade than they mention. Mara once said she uses this advice, & I remember her saying that years ago. Was very smart!! Most cant believe that the colour you told them was lower than they thought. Is an instant high. For us all. LMAO

All the best in what you choose. But what you choose, you should be comfortable with & in love with at the same time. :appl:

Judy
:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results