shape
carat
color
clarity

To go with my other thread: what''s the weirdest gift you''ve given or gotten?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just remembered a conversation I had with a co-worker this past summer. He''s definitely gotten more than his share of odd gifts...I can''t remember them all, but I distinctly remember that for is birthday, an ex-gf gave him a pineapple scented/shaped candle...and the aroma was so strong, his apartment smelled like artificial pineapple for a week. But I''m sure there are other odd gifts out there- so spill! What weird things have you gotten? Have you given anything that would be considered odd?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
When my FIL died, DD (who was then age 10) asked not-so-DMIL for a memento of him, please. Crazy woman said, "Sure!" and proceeded to give her his TOENAIL clippers. (With clippings). I swear to you, this story is TRUE!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

And oh, FWIW, though his mother was a certified nutcase, amazingly DH turned out just fine!!!
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I don''t know if anyone can top the weird gift I got. My boyfriend when I was in 8th grade came over to my house before I got back from soccer practice because he had a "surprise" for me. I went inside and he had put it in my room.

It was...the scariest DOLL I have ever seen! It had a knitted outfit with a super full skirt. Forest green with yellow trim because those were my fave colors at the time. I mean, this thing was unbelievable. The kind of doll country folk put over rolls of TP in the bathroom. Atrocious. His mom made it for me.

And I should point out that I did not EVER collect dolls, play with dolls, or even MENTION dolls to the boy. Oh dear lord...I will never get over it! I can still see it now...I wonder if it''s in a box or something somewhere...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last year I got a hand warmer that you drape over your shoulders and stick you hands in (it was made of fleece) the person who gave to it me said he didn't get rave reviews for them. hehe He tried so that was really sweet but definitely the weirdest gift!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 9:50:14 PM
Author: Lynn B
When my FIL died, DD (who was then age 10) asked not-so-DMIL for a memento of him, please. Crazy woman said, 'Sure!' and proceeded to give her his TOENAIL clippers. (With clippings). I swear to you, this story is TRUE!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

And oh, FWIW, though his mother was a certified nutcase, amazingly DH turned out just fine!!!
2.gif
LOL
face20.gif
, but eeeeewwwww
32.gif
emotion-41.gif
What did your DD say??

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My first christmas with my DH who was my Fi at the time his niece(ish) gave me a bundled mess of zippers...and when zipped up it becomes a purse...

but...in the gift bag, it was a mess of zippers...so you can imagine my face as I am trying to figure out what the junk that was, as her Mom is waiting for my gracious, grateful reaction....

It is still in a mess, at the bottom of the original gift bag...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aunt and uncle once gave my parents a two-tier black lacquer round serving dish on a stand, it had ornate gold and pink detailing.
And if you wound it up, it slowly spun around.
And played music.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:39:19 PM
Author: Haven
My aunt and uncle once gave my parents a two-tier black lacquer round serving dish on a stand, it had ornate gold and pink detailing.
And if you wound it up, it slowly spun around.
And played music.

Wow...that sounds gorgeous! What''s weird about that?
2.gif

My horrible ex-aunt gave me a citrine necklace one year. The next year, I got the SAME EXACT necklace.... uhhhh....??

Also, this isn''t weird per se, but my reaction was. I was in 9th grade I think? And my bf at the time was this guy who was older (in college, and looking back only wanted one thing) but went to stores and put them on hold for me to buy for him. Imagine my surprise when I spent over $500 on him that xmas. He asked what I wanted.

He comes over to give me his gift. It was this heart necklace with crappy diamonds. yellow gold. I never would wear yellow gold back then. I thought it was THE WORST, tackiest gift ever. I cried. I bawled. Here I had gone out of my way to get everything he insisted he needed, and he bought me something that was worse than nothing! It proved he didn''t know me. We broke up shortly after... blah scum.

Oh oh, another one, my horrible aunt gave me diamond earrings! I had stretched ears at the time (you know, those big ear lobes) and there was absolutely NO way they would fit... I was just like...huh?? Did you put the wrong name on the gift? I later traded them with one of my mothers gifts
21.gif
21.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Given: One year, my mom and I gave my dad a gerbil for Christmas.

Received: My grandma once gave me an "adult bib" - for when you''re eating a meal before you''re going somewhere and don''t want to spill on your nice outfit.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The weirdest gift I''ve ever received was a couple of carved elephants and some palm trees (all one piece) carved from ivory. The elephants and trunks of the palm trees were painted black and glazed over. The leaves of the palm tree were a greyish-green color, made of plastic. Freaking ugly. His grandma gave it to us for our wedding!!! Okay, she did it as a joke. Apparently they have like 20 of them in their garage when they went to some island back in the 70s. It definitely looked like it was born during that period.

P.S. It''s in our guest room now. We don''t know whether to wrap it up and give it back his grandma for xmas, or leave it in the guest room for when his parents come visit us in April!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was dating a guy and I became unsure about Christmas, if we would exchange gifts because although we had been friends for years, we had not been in a relationship for too long. Over Thanksgiving he told me he got me a nice present, so I decided to get him one. I looked long and hard, and found him a Burberry wallet for cheap. Imagine my surprise when my present is this realllly ugly painted OU plate.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
as a wedding gift, we received a unframed, unmatted, dusty rose oil painting of still life flowers.
15.gif
It was the type you see on the "starving artist" commercials, but at least those ''bargains'' come framed!!!!!!!!!!

This was a gift from my cousin - to whom I was a bridesmaid in her wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird. weird. weird.

It screamed ''re-gift'' to me.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One Christmas my MIL gave me a fish bowl filled with potpourri with a lace doilie on top. A few years later she gave me an antibacterial dish towel for Christmas. I never know what''s coming!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
When my husband was around age 8, his grandmother gave him a horse weathervane for Christmas.
33.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Gift for my mother from her cousin: A dollar store steak knife set... for Christmas... um, yeah. Thanks. That same Christmas she gave me a book about people dying while climbing mount everest. Heartwarming for sure.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Given: probably the coconut pirate head bank I gave my youngest brother that I picked up in the Bahamas. He likes zany stuff, and that was about the zaniest thing I''ve ever found.

Oh, or maybe the box full of about 15 Angelina ballerinas to the same brother as part of an in-joke.
1.gif

Received: Funny weird? Probably the foam lizard on a leash from my aunt when I first moved out of my parents'' house (it was a low-maintenance pet).

Scratch-my-head weird? The I.D. bracelet my godparents got me with my name spelled wrongly.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Given - a single plate. It was for my sister. She later opened up the other present which was a giant tea cup a la Alice in Wonderland. But I'm so glad she opened the saucer first. Hey, I was in college. I wrapped them separately!

Received - my sister, the avid reader, received a book from our Aunt and Uncle. To this day, no one in my immediate family will forget the title "The Black Hat Dances: Two Buddhist Boys in the Himalayas." I on the other hand received a cardboard sheet of button covers. They didn't match and one placeholder was empty.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My grandma started to lose it a bit and started wrapping up things she already had. I got salt and pepper shakers at age 7. My mom took over the Grammy gifts after that, LOL.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A friend gave me this . . . . odd brass ''thing'' with pieces and parts going everywhich way. ?? I could not fathom what it was, so I took it back to ''Wicks and Sticks'' and found out that, lo and behold, this contraption was indeed a candle holder. Whatever. I replaced it with something much more ordinary.

My best friend is no longer even speaking to a former friend of hers, and one of the reasons why is that she was gifted with regifts. Used regifts. Earrings with makeup and hairspray on them. Linens with crumbs in them. Ick.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh! Forgot my DH''s best - When he was 14, his aunt and uncle gave him a fictional book about barnyard animals (no, not Animal Farm) and some plastic ants. He thought it was a joke until he realized his siblings had "real" gifts.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:18:26 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 11/17/2008 9:50:14 PM
Author: Lynn B
When my FIL died, DD (who was then age 10) asked not-so-DMIL for a memento of him, please. Crazy woman said, ''Sure!'' and proceeded to give her his TOENAIL clippers. (With clippings). I swear to you, this story is TRUE!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

2.gif
LOL
face20.gif
, but eeeeewwwww
32.gif
emotion-41.gif
What did your DD say??
Pretty much what you said, Skippy, only without the "LOL"!!!
14.gif
Poor kid, probably scarred for life!!!
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once I received antique lingerie from a male friend...ahhhh, not interested LOL.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
An Alligator head from my husband, and a stuffed animal bunny head, on a string, from a guy in high school. Apparently I attract this kind of attention and do not know why...

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
My DH''s grandma got me a decapitated lady/jewelry tree 2 years ago for Christmas. I mean, wtf? Its not this exact jewelry tree but I think you get the point...

Did Tim Burton inspire this ridiculous thing!?

06a3_scarryy_sbl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results