shape
carat
color
clarity

To eternity or not, this is my question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
So, here is a link to a previous thread about some issues I had with my ring https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/really-upset-need-to-vent.75669/
Although this seemed to have ended well, some new things came up right away and, long story short, I''m having my setting re-done. I''ve decided I want platinum (which I thought my ring was until I found out otherwise, just one of my issues with this ring) instead of white gold, and I am going to have a local jeweler re-do it so I can have someone close by that will be easily accessible if I have other questions, problems, etc...
I am going to keep my setting the EXACT SAME as it is now because I love everything about it looks wise, it just seems that the workmanship leaves something to be desired. The only thing I am thinking about changing is the fact that it''s an eternity right now. I hadn''t specifically asked for this is the beginning, but I didn''t complain when I got the ring and saw it was an eternity style. The reasons that I''m thinking of changing are 1) I''m worried about beating up my ring and losing stones along the bottom 2) it would save a little money 3) my jeweler suggested it 4) it would make re-sizing easier
Despite these reasons though, I have come to like the eternity look and love it when people see it and ooohh and aaahhh at all the sparkliness all over the ring. So I guess I just want some advice from those of you with or without eternity styles and what you think about it. If you have one, are you happy with it, would you change. If you don''t have this style, do you wish you did, or do you have specific reasons for not doing it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My wedding band is an eternity. I have yet to wear it since having my baby 2 months ago. I will probably not buy another eternity band until I am done have children. I think the sizing issue can cause a major problem. JMHO!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
That''s exactly what I was thinking as far as the sizing. My best friend keeps telling me that I won''t be able to wear my rings when I''m having kids and then they''ll just sit in their boxes. On the other hand, is it worth it to have your rings re-sized for the child bearing years and then size them back? What if a person fluctuates a lot back and forth as they''re having kids, losing weight, getting pregnant again etc...?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well eternity rings cannot really be resized. I know they can shave down the metal on the inside by I am guessing that only helps 1/8-1/4 of a size. I stopped wearing my rings around 28 weeks (I had water weight). I could put my e-ring back on around 5 weeks post delivery. My WB is slightly smaller so doesn''t quite fit comfortably yet. Yes it would be a pain to get your rings resized but the option to resize is worth it.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
You bring up a lot of good concerns about going eternity vs. non-eternity. I think there are a lot of things to consider.

1. Price -- Obviously, non-eternity bands are going to be more cost effective.
2. Durability, stone damage -- eternity bands clearly are more at risk for damage than solid metal bands. However, the risk/extent of damage depends on your setting -- channel set, 4 shared prong, 2 shared prong, width/thickness of metal, etc.
3. Re-sizing -- eternity bands are difficult to resize.

However, two of those issues above can become a non-issue with a little research on your part, if you''re really set on an eternity band.

Durability -- Have your ring made by someone that makes a lot of eternity bands, and explain your concerns about durability. Go with a jeweler who will guarantee against stone loss, replacing them for free. For instance, as long as I have my eternity bands inspected every 6 months, if any of my stones fall out or become damaged, my jeweler will replace them at no cost to me. I have a lifetime guarantee as long as I keep up my inspections.

Re-sizing -- Again, go with a good jeweler. I went with Quest Jewelers near Washington, DC who will RE-SIZE eternity bands for free. Essentially, they will re-make the ring for you, which is what would have to be done if you go up/down a considerable amount. This was a concern of myself and my husband, and Quest assured us this wouldn''t be a problem. One of the jeweler''s wives had just given birth and had had her eternity rings remade twice in a year -- no problem. However, for some people that still might be too much of a hassle.

All in all, it''s about prioritizing what you want. Ease of care, style, etc. Good luck making your decision!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 4:53:04 PM
Author:BriBee
So, here is a link to a previous thread about some issues I had with my ring https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/really-upset-need-to-vent.75669/
Although this seemed to have ended well, some new things came up right away and, long story short, I'm having my setting re-done. I've decided I want platinum (which I thought my ring was until I found out otherwise, just one of my issues with this ring) instead of white gold, and I am going to have a local jeweler re-do it so I can have someone close by that will be easily accessible if I have other questions, problems, etc...
I am going to keep my setting the EXACT SAME as it is now because I love everything about it looks wise, it just seems that the workmanship leaves something to be desired. The only thing I am thinking about changing is the fact that it's an eternity right now. I hadn't specifically asked for this is the beginning, but I didn't complain when I got the ring and saw it was an eternity style. The reasons that I'm thinking of changing are 1) I'm worried about beating up my ring and losing stones along the bottom 2) it would save a little money 3) my jeweler suggested it 4) it would make re-sizing easier
Despite these reasons though, I have come to like the eternity look and love it when people see it and ooohh and aaahhh at all the sparkliness all over the ring. So I guess I just want some advice from those of you with or without eternity styles and what you think about it. If you have one, are you happy with it, would you change. If you don't have this style, do you wish you did, or do you have specific reasons for not doing it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Your first and fourth reasons are the ones that make me vote for not going with an eternity band. I think they're beautiful but personally, I'd be nervous about something happening to the underside. If you think that you might need to get your ring resized at some point, that'd be very hard to do with an eternity band.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I happen to just love full eternity bands. I love how they look and feel and that no matter how it spins you always see diamonds. most bands can be sized a tiny bit but it''s not a good idea to resize over and over. I''ve had the same rings size for years, including though 2 pregnancies so I''m not really worried about the sizing thing, but every one is different. I also think that if you know your ring size ranges where you might wear a 5 in the winter but a 5.5 iin the summer, get the eternity in the 5.5.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2008 5:11:41 PM
Author: BriBee
That''s exactly what I was thinking as far as the sizing. My best friend keeps telling me that I won''t be able to wear my rings when I''m having kids and then they''ll just sit in their boxes. On the other hand, is it worth it to have your rings re-sized for the child bearing years and then size them back? What if a person fluctuates a lot back and forth as they''re having kids, losing weight, getting pregnant again etc...?
My finger size went from a 4.75 (before kids) to a 5.5 (after kids), and they never went back to the before size. For that reason, I am glad that I did not have an eternity ring as my wedding band. This does not happen to everyone, but it might happen to you. So I did have to have my rings sized after my first son was born (he is now 8)...I have not had to have them sized again after #2 and #3, though

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 11:03:06 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

Date: 1/12/2008 5:11:41 PM
Author: BriBee
My finger size went from a 4.75 (before kids) to a 5.5 (after kids), and they never went back to the before size. For that reason, I am glad that I did not have an eternity ring as my wedding band. This does not happen to everyone, but it might happen to you. So I did have to have my rings sized after my first son was born (he is now 8)...I have not had to have them sized again after #2 and #3, though
I want to agree with Diamond*Dana. My knuckles got larger duing my second pregnancy, and never went back. So I resized the rings that I could, but I have not been able to wear my original wedding set for the past 18 years. When I was pregnant I purchased what I thought was going to be a temporary plain gold band as a replacement during my pregnancy. I ended up wearing it for years, until I got my upgrade for our 25th wedding anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results