shape
carat
color
clarity

To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
this asscher (sq emerald) cut diamond?

We''d love to hear any comments or concerns you''d have with this diamond''s specs because you guys know a lot more about what we should be looking for than we do!

asscher cut (square emerald)
meas: 7.95 X 7.88 X 5.40 mm (Length/Width 1.01)
weight: 3.02 carat
depth: 68.5%
table: 61.9%
crown: 13.2%
pavilion: 51.9%
girdle: slightly thick
cutlet: none
polish: excellent
symmetry: very good
clarity: VS2
color: H
flourescence: none
cutlet: none

Anything I should look for in particular when I see this stone in person (probably tomorrow?) Does anything stand out as potentially troublesome? I''ve heard that VS2s are visible in some asschers-- does anyone have any personal experience with this?

Also, can someone point us in the direction of a good site to look at settings for asscher cut diamonds of this size-- or (let me reveal my ignorance here) will just about any setting work for this kind of diamond? Am I asking too many questions? ;-)

Thanks in advance!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I was getting a 3ct Asscher (and god I wish I was) ... I would have a setting custom made by Whiteflash to mimic this antique ring from Nelson Rarities. It is my favorite for a large Asscher and it''s very simple, classic! I like that it''s tight to the finger, no cathedral high setting for a 3ct stone necessary & would make it more wearable for her.

There are more pix of this on the nelsonrarities site if you wanted to show a jewelry designer all angles.

Hope you DO IT!!!! (note: picked an H color asscher myself, though don''t have it in hand yet, loved it in person)

Much luck with your search!!

nelsonrarities1.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
More ...

No1pickfront1.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the lovely rear view ...

No1pickback1.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just look and see if the pattern is pleasing to you and if it has that mile deep look that good asschers have. A stone that large could be eye clean, depends where the inclusions are. Mine is a VS1 and I can''t see anything. Decodelighted I loooove that setting.

JC

Shiny_Rock
I agree with kaleigh. That diamond may turn out to be a beauty. I know that ring design sure is.......good luck.

35.gif

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased a Daniel K asscher that is beautiful. It''s a G VS2 1.9 ex ex, GIA certed. In some lighting situations I can see the one and only inclusion, which is a cloud. I would say make sure it''s eyeclean. I would not purchase anything below a VS2 in an asscher cut.

The type of inclusion seems to make a difference. My cloud is sometimes visible, but the stone is so magnificent, it doesn''t really matter to me.

Good luck!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I have a feeling that it's a beautiful stone...don't ask me why..

Hopefully Storm (our resident Asscher Guru) will check in and give us his opinion if the numbers look promising.

In the end of course, it's all about how it l@@ks to you!

I'm personally partial to simpler mountings...either solitaires or with stepcut sides, like the one the one Decodelighted posted. But a gorgeous big asscher like the one you're considering will look stunning no matter how you mount it!
3.gif

Let us know your impressions after you've seen it...how exciting!

widget

ETA: I assume this stone has a GIA report?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the numbers it has the possibility of being kicken.
Trust your eyes.
Good even patterns?
fiery?
Good to go.

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your insights! I''m excited to see the stone and will report back on how it looks.

One more question for now, regarding color and mounting. I saw (another) H colored stone today and was surprised that it looked slightly yellow to me. I hadn''t expected to be able to see the difference in color. How much difference does mounting the stone make? Will an H colored stone mounted in platinum appear much whiter than the loose stone?

Thanks again!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stepcuts and larger stones show more color for sure. Which lab graded the "H" you saw? I saw a GIA graded "K" in 3cts with strong blue flor that looked near-colorless to me, but maybe I''m not so color-sensitive. I actually prefer G-J over D-F with my skin tone ... but I like stones that "draw you in" rather than (some say dazzle, I say "repel") you with "brilliance" Super, super "whiteness" is the same way to my eye - cold, repellent, challenging. I like warmth, glimmer, scintillation. But that''s JUST ME.

I can''t wait to see what you think of it in person! BTW settings can have some effect on color, though jewelers sometimes say H & up needs to be in yellow gold - I firmly disagree & think platinum adds whiteness, as opposed to "shows color".

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
Hmm...so I guess it will come down to my impression of the stone''s color. I will only see it loose, and if it looks a little yellow, I''m trying to decide whether I should run and hide in the higher color spectrum, or set it in platinum and pray it looks whiter...obviously I''d hope the latter would be acceptable because the price difference between a G and an H, all other things equal, is pretty significant. I''d appreciate any personal comments on this-- anyone else find an H stone to be whiter in a platinum setting than loose? Should I even bother to set it and see if it looks yellow to me?

Also-- the stone does have a GIA certificate; why is this so much more valuable than the others? I see stones that appear comparable in specs are far cheaper if they "only" have other certificates. Are the others not reputable?

Thanks so much everyone; you''ve helped tremendously already (although I''m greedily asking for more help!)

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
Decodelighted, that setting is beautiful! I agree, it''s not too fancy that it takes away from the stone itself. Mostly, we''ve been considering plain bands...I kind of like the trellis setting with the little diamond accents. Does anyone have pictures of asschers in this kind of setting, or have suggestions on where to buy one for this cut and size diamond?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you''ll "know it" when you see it if it is "the one". I doubt it would be **appreciably** enough whiter in a platinum setting to take it from "OH NO!" to "OH YES!". So if you look at it and think "yeesh, color!" PASS. If you look at it and think "OMMIGOD IT''S MINE" ... trust that too.

I picked an "H" asscher/sq. emerald but in a 1.5ct size, GIA graded. Platinum setting. (not engaged yet - so no pix!)

GIA is much better regarded than the EGL''s (Especially EGL-Isreal) ... and stones with one EGL rating, say "F", might rate "H" or "I" on the GIA scale.

Cheers! Excitement! Hope you love it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to hear what you think of this stone. Don''t forget to come back and give us a full report!!!

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
Reporting back, as promised
emsmile.gif
now that we''ve seen the stone.

It''s a gorgeous stone with wonderful patterns you hope to see in an asscher/sq emerald. It is completely eye-clean from the top and sides save one tiny speck (feather I think) on the side that will be covered by a prong.

My only concern is, as expected, the color. This is the first H color diamond we''ve looked at, and the dealer says it''s a very high grade H-- but it really wasn''t as white as I''d hoped. You guys are right-- the color really does show up more in step cuts like the asscher, because I''ve seen H colored brilliants that have looked plenty white to me.

We''re not sure what we''re going to do, because other than the color, the stone is exactly what we''re looking for in other ways...

Any more advice? In general, can you guys see the color in an H colored asscher/emerald/other step cut, or are we just super-sensitive? Will setting an h colored asscher in platinum make it seem even yellower?

Thanks again! So glad to have found you guys-- you''ve become our personal consultants. We''ll have to pay you in pictures once we''ve made our big purchase
emwink.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
h color is borderline in step cuts a lot (most?) of people are fine with it some arent.
Some notice the color a bit but dont have a problem with it because of the cost savings allows them to get a bigger stone.
It is a personal decision that only the person buying and wearing it can make.

lawdog

Rough_Rock
Hey RockCandy... I just recently purchased an Asscher cut stone myself. It is 1.5 carat and a "E" color and VS1 clarity with a GIA cert. I too looked at H''s and G colored Asschers hoping to save some cash and even an SI1... in the end I decided to drop down a bit in size from 2 carats to 1.5 carats so that I could go up in the color to E and clarity to VS1. I definately noticed a big color difference myself in anything G and lower in an Asscher cut, and most lower in clarity also had noticeble inclusions.

The bottom line with an Asscher is that when you find the right stone you will know it. The fact that you have come back stating that you have even a slight pause for concern tells me alot. You are talking about a 3 carat diamond, big bucks, and you should get exactly what stands out to you and don''t settle for less. The first time I saw the Asscher I bought I was like WOW yep that is the one, no question about it. I ended up spending about the same as I would have for a larger less perfect Asscher but in the end if you can find a good one jump on it. I was willing to sacrifice size somewhat to get that mind boggling look an Asscher can give.

You said it has everything we want but the color....that says keep looking to me. This is a big purchase, don''t feel rushed, take your time, and make a wise decision based on your heart not on pressure. Ask the jeweler to get a couple more stones with better color and clarity and maybe drop down to a 2.5 carat rock???? Obviously it is up to you...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well said Lawdog, the right diamond for you will often speak to you and you will know its the one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results