shape
carat
color
clarity

To appraise or not appraise? ...that''s the question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

R_de_T

Rough_Rock

First, and foremost, a big ‘thank you’ to all the great people who’ve responded to my previous post in which I needed some urgent help in choosing a diamond.

I’ve finally ordered it yesterday and it should be arriving today or tomorrow!

Although it’s not a ‘huge’ stone I still am very happy with it, these are its characteristics: Round Brilliant, 0.445 crt, 4.86-4.90 x 3.02 mm, VS2, F color, AGS Ideal cut (Pol,Sym,Proportions), HCA 1.1., with what only seems a very small cloud on the edge of the table (see picture)

Although I’ve extensively have read the many posted topics on Blue Nile saying they’re on average very expensive I believe that, atleast on face value, they’ve given me a good deal; $926.

Sor far, and In support of their much debated customer service, the day(s) before I actually called to place my order they raised the prices on some of their stones (including my target) but given that I called within 7 days of the initial raise (to $1039) they still offered it to me for the old price.

All of this is ofcourse nice and fine but I do actually have a dilemma...

I’m currently not in the US and have arranged it to be shipped to my, soon to be, sister-in-law who, in principle, can take it to an appraiser. However I''m wondering if, given the stone size whether or not I still should I get it very elaborately appraised which would cost at least another $125? (I would have to get it to Consumersgemlab given that it''s close to the shipment address).

Any of your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!! RdT

Inclu.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm
Tough one.
This is all about YOUR comfort level.

Personally I bought a stone a few months back that was about the same price and size as yours.

Considering you bought from a very reputable place and it does have an AGS report, I would vote to not pay the $125 for the appraisal.

But I would verify the stone matches the report.
Use a loupe to find the inculsions.
Match them to the report.
If you have a calipers or micrometer you can gently measure the diameter of the stone.
I would avoid measuring the depth; the culet is easily damaged.

I took mine a local jeweler that I trusted, a Graduate Gemologist.
It was $25 bucks to just verify the stone matched the report.
This was verbal only, but for me, the stone and my comfort level with the jeweler it felt just right.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Are you planning to insure the finished ring? If so, the insurance company is probably going to want an appraisal. Does Blue Nile also send you an appraisal done by them? This is just something to consider.

Also, I agree with Kenny that at the very least, take it to a trusted, educated jeweler and have them take a look at it. I did the same thing (under different circumstances) and was charged about $25 also.

Good luck!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
To repond to this.

It depends on what you want to know. Verifying the stone is the same is basically pretty simple to do, and if that is your only concern, then the quickie local gemologist''s service for $ 25.00 is useful.

But a lot is left off the lab reports, and in the case of AGS you might want to consider the issues of whether the report is the new format where light return is taken into consideration or if it is the old format where only the proportion averages are considered in assigning the cut grading.

The $ 125.00 that I charge includes a lot of information that is useful to know.

It just depends on the level of information that you want or need.

Hope this helps...

Rockdoc

R_de_T

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback Kenny & Rockdoc.

As soon as the stone gets deliverd I''ll give you a call Rockdoc to see what I actually need amongst the no doubt very elaborate range of assessments.....I hope you''re a bit flexible with this and that it''s not a take it all or leave it?

Thanks in advance,

Rolf

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Rolf...

Actually, I think I am pretty easy. I do care how much consumers spend and try not to do anything they really don''t need.

So if that''s flexible...call me Gumby!

Rockdoc

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
One concern would be: if you don''t have anyone look at it and give you a professional opinion/appraisal, you would have probably trouble w/insurance if any thing ever happened.......

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results