shape
carat
color
clarity

Tired of red eye... suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Every time a picture of me is taken, I have red eye. Even in my license picture I have red eye and I didn''t think that was possible!
3.gif
I have heard that it occurs more for people with blue eyes than brown eyes, so maybe that''s why I always have it. Even if everyone else in the picture has red eye too, I always have iit the worst. I typically photo shop the red eye out which is no big deal, but other people don''t bother and when I see pictures of me that they have, I look like a vampire haha.

I''m curious if anyone knows what really causes red eye or has any suggestions about what I should be doing differently when I pose for a picture?

Thanks!
35.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Red eye is caused by reflection off the retina. The retina is covered in vessels and that''s why it comes out red. It is more common in people with light eyes because the pale color of the iris allows some light to enter too. It''s most common when a flash is used in a dark environment. Because the pupils are dilated, the effect is stronger. Diffused lighting or a separate flash are the best ways to avoid red-eye. A red-eye reduction on a camera typically involves a quick flash prior to the photo being taken so the pupils constrict and can''t reflect during the actual picture. Because so many of us use digital cameras with unadjustable flashes, the reduction is probably your best bet for snap shots.

I get red eye a lot, too. One thing I''ve tried that sometimes helps is looking at any light you can find right up until the pic is being taken. Only works for posed pics, though. Another thing that sometimes works is not looking directly at the camera. Try looking to the side of the camera man. Just tilt your body in that direction, too, so you don''t look spacey. Other than that I turn out pastey white with red eyes and generally a dumb expression!!

BTW-large pupils are considered by some cultures to be seductive. Some cultures used to use bella donna to dilate their pupils and increase attractiveness.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''ve also heard that looking slightly away from the camera helps. I usually look right above it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Have you been to the eye doctor? Or are you self medicating it?

Is it possible that you are not using the correct medication so the infection is clearing up just enough so it looks gone but its still there to make its come back?

I think some people are more seceptable to it.

My husband gets it all the time and my kids get it sometimes. They all have brown eyes.

I have light green eyes and so does one of my kids and he and I are the only ones who have not had it, ever. I think the fact that my husband AND 3 of my kids get it a lot and I have not had it, or my other son with the light eyes like me prove my theory that some people are more susceptable than others.

I hope you get it solved. My husband and kids hate it when they get it. It looks so uncomfortable.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I am one who ruins a picture with red monster eyes while my husbands are always closed
20.gif
We just remove my redeye later. I have green eyes btw.

Red eye reduction tips from colorpilot

If possible, avoid taking flash photos in a dark environment

Use red-eye reduction pre-flash: Many cameras have a built-in red-eye reduction pre-flash that helps reduce the incidence of red eye. Red-eye reduction works by having the flash shine a light into the eyes of the subject prior to taking the picture. This causes the pupil to contract.
However, you have to make sure the subject is looking at the camera. If not, this technique won''t work. Also be wary of using red-eye reduction feature when not necessary, because it may cause your subject to blink.

Soften the light: Put a piece of tissue paper (prevent its direct contact with the hot flashbulb) over the flash to diffuse its brightness. Some photography shops sell flash diffusers. Use this method only on subjects that are close, because it reduces your flash range.

Take more than one picture: The first picture will cause the eyes of the subject to contract.

Position yourself near a light source: When your subject looks toward the camera, the nearby light will make his pupils contract.

Turn on more lights in the room: The brighter the room, the more your subjects'' pupils will contract.

Ask your subject not to look straight at the camera.
Use a special pen: Purchase an anti-red-eye pen from a photography shop. Draw over the red-eye on your prints to reduce red-eye effect.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions! I have tried looking to the side of the camera and I think it helps some so it''s not that really "I''m shooting laser beams out of my eyes" bright red, but it''s just hard for me to remember to do so each time, so I have to work on it!

Assherisme- I do not mean red eye as in like red itchy eyes, but the red glare you get off of your eyes in a picture. That is a very interesting observation though about people with lighter color eyes being more susceptible
to red-eye than people with dark eyes- maybe you''re on to something!
10.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
picasa by google has the best red eye removal editing feature. its free photo mgmt software

www.picasa.com

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am laughing at myself how I read into the red eye question eye infection rather than camera issue. I guess I was tired when I responded and did not read the post carefully enough.

nevermind :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results