shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping the band

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!
We are in final count down. So exciting! I have a question about tipping, specifically when it comes to the band. We have a steel drum band who will be providing background music. They aren't doing DJ services, nor are we having any dancing. Their fee is $650 for two hours. If we were having a DJ or even an interactive type band, I wouldn't question whether or not to tip. But I'm not sure, in this case, what's standard. I guess it's more similar to having a string quartet at the ceremony than a traditional reception band. What are your thoughts? Should I tip, and if so, how much? There are three band members, if that helps.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1321469924|3063050 said:
Hi all!
We are in final count down. So exciting! I have a question about tipping, specifically when it comes to the band. We have a steel drum band who will be providing background music. They aren't doing DJ services, nor are we having any dancing. Their fee is $650 for two hours. If we were having a DJ or even an interactive type band, I wouldn't question whether or not to tip. But I'm not sure, in this case, what's standard. I guess it's more similar to having a string quartet at the ceremony than a traditional reception band. What are your thoughts? Should I tip, and if so, how much? There are three band members, if that helps.

amc I don't know if you tip (I would assume you do??) but I just wanted to say how cool it is that you're having a steel band!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1321589056|3064220 said:
amc80|1321469924|3063050 said:
Hi all!

amc I don't know if you tip (I would assume you do??) but I just wanted to say how cool it is that you're having a steel band!!

Thanks! It was one of the first decisions we made. We have a mimosa/bloody mary bar so that with the band should provide for a very "vacationy" atmosphere.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
amc, I might have $60 on hand if I were you ($20 per member) if they turn out to be spectacular. Their fee already seems on the high end for the amount of time they'll be playing, but if they turn out to be stellar or they take a weird request from your great aunt sally and nail it, it would be nice to show appreciation.

Only caveat being if you booked them through an agency. If that's the case, the agency probably takes a percentage of the fee they're charging you, and in that case I'd tip no matter what. At least 10%. If they go above and beyond like I mentioned above, perhaps throw another 10% on top of that.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband played in a band that played weddings, proms and parties and they were never tipped. They were booked through an agency and had set prices based on the number of sets they played and location. I would not consider tipping the band as necessary or expected. They are setting their own price, unlike a waiter or hairdresser.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I booked directly with a band, so no agency involved. I think I'll just have some cash on hand ($20 each sounds good) in case they are stellar. You're right, though, it's already expensive and each band member is making over $200 already. Hmm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results