shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping for haircuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I''m going this afternoon to a new salon. I''ve been going for years to a local lady my family has just always gone to, but it''s quite a drive for me now, and I''m never quite satisfied with what I get from her. She does great, but I never realize the things I don''t like till I get home and style it myself like normal. So I''ve found a new, closer salon in the city I''m in now.

The local lady always just charged $25 for just a normal cut, and my mom always just taught me to give about a $5 tip. She was the owner, and we''d always just write a check for $30 total after asking her how much the total was. I know that there are much more metro areas represented here on PS than where I live, so we''re not very "aware" of the going tipping rates and all. This one lady always did everything - wash (if there was one, which sometimes she just sprayed my hair wet instead), cut, whatever I had done. But some reading I''ve done on here and elsewhere says that lots of places have different people washing than cutting or something like that. Not sure how the place I''m going to today operates, but I just wanted to know what I need to do for tipping.

How do you know if the person rents their chair or is employed by the salon? Or should that even matter in the tipping scheme? What is the tipping actually covering? If I pay by credit card, is there a place on the bill for tips? What if 2 people do different things - how do I split that up on the bill? Can I do like I''ve always one and just write the total on the check, and the extra will automatically go to the stylist? Or are you just supposed to have cash on hand and tip them that? Sorry if this seems like I''m dense... I''m just not well-versed in these things.
37.gif
TIA.
1.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
what I do is always have cash for tips. There''s usually a different person for washing your hair so I tip her $5+ depending if she gives me a great massage or not. As for the stylist, I TRY to give 20% of the bill. I usually get it cut, colored and blown out. My tip is usually $20-$30. The salon I go to isn''t ultra expensive (I won''t pay $400 for what I need done). My bill is usually $65 for the cut and $110-ish for color). My stylist is the owner and I still tip her (even though many ppl say you don''t tip the owner)

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks atroop - so you have $25-$35 cash on hand? How do you give it to them - do you give the cash to the stylist when she charges you, then walk back over to the hairwasher and hand it to them? Do you just say "thank you" or "here, this is for you, thanks for a great job" or what?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
HAhahahahaha
My gal charges $23 for a hair cut and $60 for a color. She does it all and there are only four girls in the place - 2 (one of em my gal) are the co-owners.
I always give her $30 for a hair cut and then she throws things at me like sample hair products I need to try and give feedback.

One of the reasons I like this small town. I do not miss the $200 hair appointment.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:05:56 AM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Thanks atroop - so you have $25-$35 cash on hand? How do you give it to them - do you give the cash to the stylist when she charges you, then walk back over to the hairwasher and hand it to them? Do you just say 'thank you' or 'here, this is for you, thanks for a great job' or what?

once I pay my bill I just hand the stylist her tip and say Thank you. I walk over to the lady who washed my hair and do the same...a nice thank you as you're handing them the tip is ok. If you are going to a large salon (like a chain salon) the front desk may have tipping envelopes that you can ask for. I never use the envelopes just walk over and say thank you.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:09:06 AM
Author: Starset Princess
HAhahahahaha

My gal charges $23 for a hair cut and $60 for a color. She does it all and there are only four girls in the place - 2 (one of em my gal) are the co-owners.

I always give her $30 for a hair cut and then she throws things at me like sample hair products I need to try and give feedback.

One of the reasons I like this small town. I do not miss the $200 hair appointment.

I agree...the $$$ hair cuts are out of control. I''m in Manhattan and so happy I found an amazing women who charges $65 for a cut...that''s cheap here in the city. I''ve gone to others and just hated the $$$$ cuts..now I get a great cut for a reasonable price

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i *always* have wondered this.

my hair appointments normally cost $200 and frankly, at that price, i just can''t bring myself to add another $40 in tip.

i always give the lady who washes my hair $5 (and they never give massages!) and my stylist $20. am i being horribly cheap? i feel as tho the prices are already incredibly inflated...

atroop do you think this is inappropriate? can i have your opinion pls? i''ve always wondered this...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the best hair stylist. She does a fabulous job, and she still charges me her rates from eons ago when I started seeing her.

SO, my haircut is only $40 from her, but she charges new clients $60. I tip her $10 to $20 depending on the cut. I have really long hair, so if it''s just a quick touch up I give her $50. If it''s a new style, $60.

Usually salons have little envelopes where you can leave the tip for the lady who washed your hair. Just make sure you catch her name.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitby--I can''t say I''ve ever spent that much for a haircut, but WOW! I don''t think I''d be able to tip $40 on a $200 cut, either. I''d want to walk out feeling like a supermodel for $200.

I spent $100 on a cut once and I did feel like a rock star when I walked out of that salon. But it was all smoke and mirrors--after I washed it once, it was cut exactly like my usual long layered cut. I paid all that money for styling.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I have been going to my stylist for years, and my full head of highlights and a cut/blowout/style costs me $100.

My stylist is AMAZING! I would never trust anyone else to touch my hair with color. I always give her $20 for a full head and cut, and $10 when she does a partial with no cut (which costs only $45!).

My salon is in south Jersey, way away from Philly and other local towns where haircuts START at $60!
6.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to use the little envelopes. That was back in the days I used to spend a fortune on my hair, though. Last time I had anything done to it was a trim a cosmetology school in February--$8. One of my good friends decided to become a stylist and I wanted to support her, plus now I''m a super cheapskate...I did give her a $5 tip, so, um, maybe that was a little overboard? LOL

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:16:06 AM
Author: whitby_2773
i *always* have wondered this.

my hair appointments normally cost $200 and frankly, at that price, i just can't bring myself to add another $40 in tip.

i always give the lady who washes my hair $5 (and they never give massages!) and my stylist $20. am i being horribly cheap? i feel as tho the prices are already incredibly inflated...

atroop do you think this is inappropriate? can i have your opinion pls? i've always wondered this...

I think what you're giving is perfectly fine. I do the same...$5 for lady who washes hair and I give $20 for hair stylist. I TRY to give btwn $20-$30 if she does more on me like highlites..but usually it's $20

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the awesome, quick responses so far.

The website for the salon says the cuts range from $38 to $50, depending on which of the 3 levels the stylist is on. I have loosely curly hair, and used to straighten it every day but have quit fighting it and now wear it naturally. So they set me up with the girl there who's supposed to be good with curly hair - not sure what price level she's on though.

So based on those numbers, a 20% tip ranges from $7.60 to $10, respectively. If that's all she does, is a $10 tip ok? I understand if I had more services, it would be a higher tip. I'm just getting it cut though.

Also, so I guess I should just have some $5 and maybe $10 bills (cash) on hand then? Is that what all of you do?

ETA: Hmm, I'd never actually thought about it or done the math before, but when my old stylist cuts were $25, we were tipping $5, which actually was 20%. Haha, I bet mom didn't even know she was keeping up with the times!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My haircuts are $40. I tip between $5- $10, depending on if I have anything else done.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I tip 20% of the cost of whatever I''m having done.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 12:29:32 PM
Author: risingsun
I tip 20% of the cost of whatever I''m having done.
Ditto.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I also tip 20%. My stylist then gives a certain percentage to the other staff (assistants and washers). At my salon you can add it on to the credit card receipt like at a restaurant or you can leave cash in an envelope provided at the front desk.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also tip around 20-30%. I have tipped higher at places like Monnie mentioned where if the cut is $12 I will just give her a $20. Usually I will risk going to a cheap place for a trim.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:18:49 AM
Author: Haven
Whitby--I can't say I've ever spent that much for a haircut, but WOW! I don't think I'd be able to tip $40 on a $200 cut, either. I'd want to walk out feeling like a supermodel for $200.

I spent $100 on a cut once and I did feel like a rock star when I walked out of that salon. But it was all smoke and mirrors--after I washed it once, it was cut exactly like my usual long layered cut. I paid all that money for styling.

atroop - thanks for that, i'll stick with what i give her.

haven, that's not for a cut - that's for highlights. but she's never on time (the time before last she kept me waiting over 50 minutes before i even got in the chair!), she takes 3 HOURS to do a head of highlights because she's so late and then juggles me with numerous other clients (forget cut and style!) and it's soooo slow and tedious, i just can't bring myself to tip her more than $20. if i get my hair cut by her she charges me for a blow dry, whether she does it or not (usually not because i dont like the way she styles it) anyway, a $40 tip is like tipping her for a whole other procedure, and it's just not worth it. so i hold my head high, hand her $20, and then run out thinking, "she haaaaaates meeeee!!"
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

(i quite like my hairdresser....but i'm a liiiittle bit scared of her, can you tell?!)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I''d say 20% is a good number---so if it''s $100.00 service total, give her an additional $20.00. Throw the shampoo girl/guy an additional $5.00.

Tips are nice, and most stylists live off of them. In a normal salon, stylists don''t make money unless they are working--so if they work an 8 hour shift, but only have two appointments...they only get paid for their precentage of the 2 appointments (less than 50% if your actual service charge). So there tips become their real source of income. If you can afford to do a little more than average, do it.

On a side note, good tips=better service. As an ex-stylist, I can tell you, I remembered my good tippers and I also remember the people who didn''t tip at all. I was never angry if I got stiffed...but I knew during their next appointment I''d probably get more of them same, so I didn''t stress over that client.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I pay by check and have my stylist add the 20% to my bill. This seems to work out well for both of us.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Exactly, Italia....I have found that being a good tipper gets you certain things, like free samples, getting worked in on short notice, being extra careful to make sure you like your style, etc. I also bring my stylist cupcakes and Christmas gifts, etc. I have found that it is good to be extra nice to the people that serve you food, teach your children, and cut/color your hair
9.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
This is an informative thread - I have a question to ask that I hope you guys can help with:

The new salon that Ive been going to usually has 2-3 people working on my hair. The primary person is the one I booked, and she will do the cut and most of the color. But sometimes she will have her assistant apply some of the color, rinse it & blowdry, and sometimes there''s a thrid shampoo lady. How am I supposed to tip when it''s 2-3 people touching my head? I used to follow the 20% rule, but now I have been giving 15% to the "primary" person and $5 to the assistant, depending on how much time she worked on me, and usually around $2 to the shampoo lady.

This new practice of a minimum of 2 people really annoys me, because I have no idea how to tip anymore, and I think that I end up tipping everyone less than I would, but I don''t want to pay 3 big tips, when I only booked one stylist. Unfortunately, the last 3 salons that I''ve been to do this, so it''s de rigeur in my area. What do you all think about this, and how do you handle the tipping?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:54:44 PM
Author: vespergirl
This is an informative thread - I have a question to ask that I hope you guys can help with:

The new salon that Ive been going to usually has 2-3 people working on my hair. The primary person is the one I booked, and she will do the cut and most of the color. But sometimes she will have her assistant apply some of the color, rinse it & blowdry, and sometimes there''s a thrid shampoo lady. How am I supposed to tip when it''s 2-3 people touching my head? I used to follow the 20% rule, but now I have been giving 15% to the ''primary'' person and $5 to the assistant, depending on how much time she worked on me, and usually around $2 to the shampoo lady.

This new practice of a minimum of 2 people really annoys me, because I have no idea how to tip anymore, and I think that I end up tipping everyone less than I would, but I don''t want to pay 3 big tips, when I only booked one stylist. Unfortunately, the last 3 salons that I''ve been to do this, so it''s de rigeur in my area. What do you all think about this, and how do you handle the tipping?
Bigger salons do this all the time. The assistant is probably someone who will be shortly going on the floor and is in training. A shampoo girl is also pretty typical.

Generally, a kind stylist will privately tip out her assistant at the end of the day. I always did. I gave them $100.00 per day for working with me. But my clients generally gave them $7-10.00 on their own.

Shampoo girls, if they are good $5.00...if not, it goes down.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
So I guess cash is easist for tips, but it can usually be done with check or card as well? I guess what I'm really thinking about is how you communicate that you're giving a tip... is it "ok" to just ask the stylist about how to give them the tip if I happen to have a question? Or is it not polite to mention the tip directly to them?

Haha verspergirl - I'd love to know how to handle your situation too! I guess you're supposed to go in with some 1s, 5s, and 10s - and just be prepared??

I'm leaving in about an hour and half... I hope it goes well!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:43:41 PM
Author: whitby_2773

haven, that''s not for a cut - that''s for highlights. but she''s never on time (the time before last she kept me waiting over 50 minutes before i even got in the chair!), she takes 3 HOURS to do a head of highlights because she''s so late and then juggles me with numerous other clients (forget cut and style!) and it''s soooo slow and tedious, i just can''t bring myself to tip her more than $20. if i get my hair cut by her she charges me for a blow dry, whether she does it or not (usually not because i dont like the way she styles it) anyway, a $40 tip is like tipping her for a whole other procedure, and it''s just not worth it. so i hold my head high, hand her $20, and then run out thinking, ''she haaaaaates meeeee!!''
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

(i quite like my hairdresser....but i''m a liiiittle bit scared of her, can you tell?!)
Hehehehehe whitby you make me laugh!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I live in a small town area so our standard prices are significantly less than most of you are paying. I always tip what I believe to be a fair amount and in return she gets me in on short notice, will cut my little boy''s hair for free, will trim any crazy ends I get before my next appt, lets me know when my preferred shampoo will be on sale, etc. My friend who also goes there and doesn''t tip very well gets good service but not great. I do think tipping is a definite need when you want little extras.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 2:24:28 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 7/16/2009 1:54:44 PM
Author: vespergirl

The new salon that Ive been going to usually has 2-3 people working on my hair. The primary person is the one I booked, and she will do the cut and most of the color. But sometimes she will have her assistant apply some of the color, rinse it & blowdry, and sometimes there''s a thrid shampoo lady. How am I supposed to tip when it''s 2-3 people touching my head? I used to follow the 20% rule, but now I have been giving 15% to the ''primary'' person and $5 to the assistant, depending on how much time she worked on me, and usually around $2 to the shampoo lady.

Bigger salons do this all the time. The assistant is probably someone who will be shortly going on the floor and is in training. A shampoo girl is also pretty typical.

Generally, a kind stylist will privately tip out her assistant at the end of the day. I always did. I gave them $100.00 per day for working with me. But my clients generally gave them $7-10.00 on their own.

Shampoo girls, if they are good $5.00...if not, it goes down.
Thanks Italia!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I only get cheapo haircuts...can't afford anything more. Mine are $13-14 (I think) for a wash and cut, no styling, but you sit under the big dryer-chair thingies. I tip $2 to be close to 15%.

ETA: Same person does my wash and cut. I've never seen one where they do it any other way...guess that's because I don't go to the fancy places!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$8 hair cut + $2 tip = $10 bucks out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results