shape
carat
color
clarity

Time Warner customers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might have noticed a warning at the bottom of your screen. As of midnight we might lose 18 channels (including T''s beloved Noggin...also Spike, MTV, Nick, VH1, Comedy Central and TV Land). I contacted TWC and they said "TWC is in negotiations with Viacom regarding continued carriage of MTV Networks. We are working to reach an agreement to avoid any disruption of service. No other details are available at this time." I would suggest everyone to call to save these channels. Otherwise dish network here we come!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I have TW and have not seen that message... I wonder if it is for all service areas...
I think if all those channels go away they will loose some customers for sure.
Lets hope they can get this sorted out.

ETA, went to the TW website and found the following info:

We are negotiating earnestly, honestly and fairly with MTV Networks, but so far have been unable to reach an agreement or get an extension.

MTV Networks may pull these channels from your lineup on January 1st.

• MTV Networks wants our customers to pay millions more. They are currently demanding price increases that are nearly triple the rate of increase under our current agreement. These increases would be excessive even in a strong economy, but given the current conditions, it’s simply not fair to our customers.

• MTV’s demands are outrageous and would force our customers to pay millions of dollars more per year. MTV’s networks are not worth so much more today than they were yesterday, especially given the fact that their ratings are mostly declining in recent years.

• Much of their popular programming is also available for free online. In this economy, we don’t believe it’s appropriate to ask our customers to pay so much more for programming with declined ratings or that's available for free.

• We’ve successfully negotiated hundreds of programming agreements with other cable networks, many within the last few months. Our hope is that we will come to an agreement with MTV Networks that is fair to our customers.

Cable channels affected:
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite
MTV
VH1
Spike
TV Land
Comedy Central
Noggin
MTV2
VH1 Classic
Logo
MTV Hits
MTV Jams
MTV Tr3s
Nick Too
Nicktoons
The N
CMT Pure Country
Palladia
VH1 Soul

Burk

Ideal_Rock
We just switched to dish because TW was so expensive and we were having a lot of issues in our area (a "glitch" that wiped out all of my DVR recordings and scheduled future recordings). Hopefully they don''t lose Noggin, Tacori. I know we couldn''t live like that!
37.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
posh, they said it was nationwide. I saw the message this morning on Noggin.

Burk, I am seriously freaking out! Haha. Do you like Dish? How long is the contract? DH agreed if they don''t keep those channels we will switch. He also LOVES Spike which is one that might disappear. They would lose so many customers for sure. I think TWC should pony up the money NOT us. We pay enough IMHO. I bet they would lose more money from customers leaving than just giving MTV what they want.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness we have Verizon FIOS, because if we lost Noggin, I wouldn''t know what to do - it''s the default channel in our house, and all of my 2 year old son''s favorite shows are on there.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
We do like it. Ours is cancel at any time. I don't know if that's typical? A friend of a friend installs for dish so that's why we decided to try it. DH loves that he has the NFL ticket! We also have HBO and Showtime all for what we paid for TWC! Overall, our experience has been good. I think for the prices TWC charges customers there is NO reason they shouldn't cover the increase!!

ETA: I mis-posted earlier-we have Direct TV! Mommy brain strikes again!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have Direct TV and we love that also.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
It''s my understanding is that Viacom wants Time Warner to pay them more money which would require TW to raise cable prices and they don''t want to raise your prices. Thankfully, we have Cablevision.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blah! TWC should take it out of their profits. There is NO WAY this is going to turn out well if they raise rates OR if they drop all those channels. I know they will lose our business and I am sure there are many other customers like us. DH could not live without Spike and I could not live without Noggin. The message is gone...maybe they came to an agreement.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 3:34:38 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Blah! TWC should take it out of their profits. There is NO WAY this is going to turn out well if they raise rates OR if they drop all those channels. I know they will lose our business and I am sure there are many other customers like us. DH could not live without Spike and I could not live without Noggin. The message is gone...maybe they came to an agreement.
The message is still up on their homepage... I hope they resolve... I dont want to go through the hassle of switching providers
8.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
posh, I saw that too. Viacom was obviously the one who was putting the message on the screen. Heard on the net they did a commercial with Dora crying b/c TWC didn''t want her anymore. Pulling at the heart strings of young America. Seems like this kind of stuff has happened before and within a few days one party gives in. I would think Viacom''s advertisers would NOT be happy losing the millions of TWC viewers. It is a lose/lose for both companies if they don''t settle.

Gullfoss

Rough_Rock
Our TV is still on Nick even though DS is outside playing. The message is still scrolling across the bottom of our TV and we have Direct TV. It looks like it is not just TW but also something else called Bright House Network. I have never heard of it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 4:19:28 PM
Author: Gullfoss
Our TV is still on Nick even though DS is outside playing. The message is still scrolling across the bottom of our TV and we have Direct TV. It looks like it is not just TW but also something else called Bright House Network. I have never heard of it.

There website says they serve Florida, Alabama, Cali, Indiana, and Michigan. Looks like it is similar to TWC. They even have the same message, offer the same services, etc...interesting that you have Direct TV. Hmmm...DD is watching Noggin right now...still no message.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Arrgh!!! I dislike TW so much! We lost our FOX network for over a month because they couldn''t reach an agreement with the station. Its a LOCAL CHANNEL for pete''s sake! Then we finally got it back, and they raised our rates. Nice.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh! This is ridiculous. I wish I had another option, but cable comes with my apartment.
7.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
jo, that is beyond annoying! Like you said it is a local station!

Princesss, I don''t remember free cable when we lived there. Nice! At least (like they said) you can watch most if not all of the shows online. Still a PITA and won''t really work for Tessa.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 5:03:43 PM
jo, that is beyond annoying! Like you said it is a local station!

Princesss, I don''t remember free cable when we lived there. Nice! At least (like they said) you can watch most if not all of the shows online. Still a PITA and won''t really work for Tessa.

Definitely a PITA. This is seriously ridiculous.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 4:54:19 PM
Author: joflier
Arrgh!!! I dislike TW so much! We lost our FOX network for over a month because they couldn''t reach an agreement with the station. Its a LOCAL CHANNEL for pete''s sake! Then we finally got it back, and they raised our rates. Nice.
Time Warner sucks! My parents had the exact same problem with a local channel (maybe they are in your area?). I am so glad we have Comcast here! I don''t know if there is much you can do/say, Tacori. They don''t seem to care much, in my experience.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I work in the cable/telcom biz, and this is pretty standard stuff.

This year''s battle happens to be between Viacom and TW, but next year it''ll be someone else... Fox and Cablevision, Disney and Comcast, etc.... it all depends on when contracts are up. Lifetime was yanked off Dish network exactly 2 years ago for the same reason.

It''s certainly a lose/lose all around- the cable company stands to lose customers, and the networks stand to lose advertising dollars.

Brighthouse is part of the TW family, so that''s why they''re involved.

If you want to stay on top of things, i suggest you keep an eye on one of these trade websites. They''ll be keeping tabs on the negotiations as it''s today''s top story:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6625921.html?desc=topstory
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6625759.html

And for the record, I dropped TW like a hot potato when ATT U-verse became available in my area. It ROCKS!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well Tessa''s world did not crumble this morning. As of now Noggin is still on TWC.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 8:53:53 AM
Well Tessa''s world did not crumble this morning. As of now Noggin is still on TWC.
Phew!!!!! We certainly do not want an unhappy Tessa. Such a cutie!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results