shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to pick a setting, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
I really like 6-prong tiffany style platnum settings. That said, I''m looking at the basics:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/jewelry/jewelry.php?item_id=943&action_type_id=2&pic_name=B_JGTIFP_th.jpg&shape_id=1
http://www.abazias.com/database/NewJewelryInfo.asp?stock=140309H

Are there any other settings I should look at similar to this look? I''m not that price adverse, but I like simplicity. I also don''t want to go too far out on a limb as I''m making an executive for my g/f on this one. I figured I''d so with the safe choice.

I just starting my 10-day return period for my stone. I was going to get it appraised as soon as possible, but a friend suggested that I get the setting and get it appraised with the diamond for insurance purposes. As it turns out, the local independant appraiser won''t be to see me for a week, so if I hurry, I can probably get them appraised together. Does this seem like a solid plan?

Does anyone know a jeweler or two in the Boston (or just west of Boston), that will set the diamond in the setting? Is it something I just hop into any place or do they only set their own stones and settings? I would think maybe not because I bought my diamond and setting from the Internet, they might not approve of such discounting.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I think I would like the appraiser to see the diamond loose, so it can be properly assessed. I had my loose diamond appraised, and when my setting is done and am having them both appraised together.

Here is another Tiffany-style from WF:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Platinum-Heavy-Tiffany-Style-3mm_715.htm

I don't know anything about Boston jewelers but make sure that whoever does set it, is covered by insurance in case anything would happen to the diamond while in possession. Some places will set it but when asked who is liable if they chip the diamond during setting, they say "not us"!
32.gif

Are you planning on buying the setting from one of these online vendors? If so, why not just have them set it?

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
I thought I had thoroughly searched WhiteFlash''s site, but I guess I missed that one.

I wouldn''t have it set and then appraised, but have both the setting and the loose diamond appraised at the same time so that insurance covers both. This friend who suggested it figured that the platnum setting would cost $1500 and be significant enough to insure, so that the whole ring can be replaced. I''m starting to think that if I get one of these three settings, it''s really not worth appraising unless it''s a very minimal cost. So I guess it would be cool if I did, but fine if not.

I''m not concerned about having a local jeweler set it for fear of fraud, though I guess it''s not unheard of. I''m more afraid that they''ll turn me away because I didn''t buy their setting or their diamond. Of course, I guess if they are getting paid to set it, business is business.

I am planning to buy from one of these online vendors, but I''m not sure about having an online vendor set it, because I''d have to ship the diamond out to them for that. I''m betting that''s UPS, plus insurance, etc. Why not just let them ship me the setting and have the local jewelry guy do it? It would be less shipping of expensive items that I really don''t want to leave my sight until I have insurance in place. I know someone who was burgularized from top to bottom about 3 days after receiving his diamond. He hadn''t gotten insurance and it was just chance that they missed it.

Jazmine, Did you ship your diamond out to be set without having insurance on it while you wait for your setting being finished and set?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes I did, and I must be crazy
23.gif
(a $20,000 marquise). My diamond is not insured b/c I could not find someone to insure a loose diamond. However, while in the jeweler's hands (where it is now), it is fully insured by their own insurance. So I guess it is relatively safe. As soon as I get the finished product, I will have it insured.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If you can find someone to take financial responsibity for your diamond during setting then I say have it done in Boston (there must be someone in that big city). If not, mailing through USPS only costs $15-$30, depending on price of diamond.

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
I should have looked around a bit. It seems that there''s a Long''s Jeweler in my backyard (almost literally) and they have a very high reputation. Guess I just to call them and see if they''ll set other people''s settings or if I''d have to buy one of their designer settings.

I forgot to mention that I''m slightly on the clock for this. Need to have everything done by 9-10th of Nov. or so.

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the additional option cpster. It doesn''t seem like it''s going to fit in my timeline. I was wondering if there''s a significant difference between all these. To my untrained eye, they appear to be the same. I''m guessing to my girlfriend''s untrained eyes they would be as well. So is it just my wallet that can really tell? What makes one better or cost more than another? Or is it just style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results