shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Turquoise necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manolita

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am seriously considering shelling out the $1,300 this necklace cost... I just love turquoise and don''t know if this money is too much for a Tiffany piece, since I have seen turquoise necklaces worth a few dollars. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the necklace, all I can tell you is beautiful, clean turquoise blue with no veins.
Feedback, please!!!!!!!!!!!
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What are the other materials involved (white gold, diamonds...)? If it''s just turquoise it better be something pretty spectacular for that price, like carved or something like that. Can you tell us from which collection is it or the name of the model so that we can estimate and advise you better?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a huge markup just for the Tiffany name (have you seen the prices on their sterling?). Fine quality turquoise can also be surprisingly expensive (and the cheap stuff is not indicative!). Throw in the gold, accent stones and workmanship and I can see a piece reaching that price. However, a photo qould really help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the necklace design and the turquoise itself (is it purely untreated?)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would also ask Tiffany about treatments. My Tiffany care booklet says that "filling with colorless substances" is an accepted treatment for Turquoise. However, you might still prefer to send an email or make a call to ask them specifics about the piece. Is it listed on their website?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 3:09:36 PM
Author: IndyLady
I would also ask Tiffany about treatments. My Tiffany care booklet says that ''filling with colorless substances'' is an accepted treatment for Turquoise. However, you might still prefer to send an email or make a call to ask them specifics about the piece. Is it listed on their website?
stabilized turquoise is common but only accepted in a lower commercial grade material.If the strand is 1300 then it had better be non-treated and of great quality!The above statement allows a customer to think that all jewelers use and accept commercial grade turqoise as the norm...it is not...treated vs. non treated is the first question that collectors ask when looking at a piece.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I once asked why a particular turquoise piece was so expensive and a Tiffany SA told me it''s because it''s more rare to find turquoise without any black in it(That''s my paraphrasing btw).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
thats true.turquoise that is even colored, free of matrix vaining,and a true robin egg blue is rare indeed.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Agreed; "accepted treatment" and "enhancement" makes it all sound very positive, and I woud personally prefer not to spend that over $1000 on a treated turquoise.

manolita

Rough_Rock
The necklace is made out of turquoise beads and a toggle end piece with 3 turquoise drops... gorgeous!
I emailed them and asked if the turquoise had been treated or stabilized... below their response:

The industry standard treatment for Turquoise is a coating of colorless wax which improves durability and surface uniformity.

Tiffany Turquoise.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s so pretty! However, their answer seems vague; they stated the industry standard but doesn''t state their own standard/treatment level? Am I misreading the statement?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been a big turquoise fan, but that necklace is very pretty!

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For collecting one may want untreated turquoise, but if you plan to wear your piece I recommend stabilizing treatment. Without it, the oils in your skin and other environmental influences will "turn" the color over time. Unless you want your beautiful robin''s egg blue turquoise going greenish on you, go with the treated stuff.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 3:13:30 AM
Author: DistinctionJewelry
For collecting one may want untreated turquoise, but if you plan to wear your piece I recommend stabilizing treatment. Without it, the oils in your skin and other environmental influences will ''turn'' the color over time. Unless you want your beautiful robin''s egg blue turquoise going greenish on you, go with the treated stuff.
I agree that treating the stones will keep it from turning...but stabilized gems should not cost top dollar...its like spending top dollar on a enhanced diamond.Keep in mind that not all untreated turquiose will turn in a short period of time.Some mines(like the sleeping beauty mine)in the united states and few other sources produce gem quality rough that will resist turning with normal wear.Tiffany shouldnt be so vague about the treatments and quality.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would not be surprised if it is treated. They do mass produce even if bthe piueces are of good quality. BTW sleeping beauty is often pure blue and it''s not a rare type of turquoise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results