shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany pendant ...is it fake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gromit

Rough_Rock
Help, any Tiffany experts?

Bought an 18kt gold Tiffany starfish pendant (the mini size) at a small jeweller but not sure if it is a fake as the starfish doesn''t have any stamp/signature on it. The chain looks authentic, has the Peretti/Spain stamp and 750 on the other bone shaped link. The clasp also has a 750 stamp on it. The chains look soldered. The link with the 750 stamp actually has the stamp sitting over another one, which is hard to make out but looks like ''T&CO symbol 750 and two letters'', the last looks like a b. I am not familiar with the gold stamps as I have only ever bought silver. The pendant has a nice weight to it and looks well made. I have tried looking on the Tiffany website but there is no picture of what it should look like on the back. I have also read up on reviews about how to spot fakes, but they mainly deal with silver jewellery. The only red flag is that the pendant is not stamped, which makes me doubt it.

Any feedback appreciated, or even if someone has this pendant and can advise further would be really excellent.

Thanks

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Do you have any pictures of it?

All of my Tiffany pieces are stamped. The chain could be real... but.. I doubt the pendant is.

gromit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably try and give Tiffany a call and see if they can give me any other info. Unfortunately I believe this design is now being discontinued, so didn''t see this at the Tiffany shop (although this was just a small outlet in a department store). May also check out their proper shop.

lbs

Rough_Rock
i think everything they make is stamped with "tiffany" and 18K, etc. i have a tiny teardrop pendant and it''s on the end of it really small and wrapped around the bottom.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
I have the Elsa Peretti mini Starfish in 18K, and I know it''s genuine because I purchased it at Tiffany. There is no stamp on the starfish itself. I''ve attached a picture of the back, sorry I couldn''t seem to get one in focus.

I have an Elsa Peretti initial pendant in 18K, and it too does not have a stamp. All my 18K open heart pieces -- small, medium, and bracelet -- do have stamps.

starfishtnt.jpg

Date: 10/12/2009 9:23:11 PM
Author: tntyau
I have the Elsa Peretti mini Starfish in 18K, and I know it''s genuine because I purchased it at Tiffany. There is no stamp on the starfish itself. I''ve attached a picture of the back, sorry I couldn''t seem to get one in focus.

I have an Elsa Peretti initial pendant in 18K, and it too does not have a stamp. All my 18K open heart pieces -- small, medium, and bracelet -- do have stamps.

Good to know!

gromit

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 9:23:11 PM
Author: tntyau

Hi tntyau, that is really great..just what I was hoping for!!! The back of my starfish looks pretty similar to yours, so that is good news. I will try and post a picture. Thanks again.

gromit

Rough_Rock
Okay, a couple of pictures...the front

aaafront.jpg

gromit

Rough_Rock
and the back...a bit blurry

aaaback.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you purchase it from a Tiffany kiosk in a department store (like they have in Canada)? Or secondhand?

gromit

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 10:39:47 AM
Author: neatfreak
Did you purchase it from a Tiffany kiosk in a department store (like they have in Canada)? Or secondhand?
Bought it secondhand for about $220, so not the end of the world if it is not real. It still looks pretty good. I also think that I could take it back for a refund if it proves otherwise.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I worked for Tiffany, Gromit -- your starfish looks real to me. I don''t remember what the back looked like but the shape of it is right. Usually in a fake there is some inaccuracy there, in the shape -- I don''t see any.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 2:26:08 AM
Author: gromit
Hi tntyau, that is really great..just what I was hoping for!!! The back of my starfish looks pretty similar to yours, so that is good news. I will try and post a picture. Thanks again.
You''re welcome! Now I''m curious why some pieces have the inscription, and some don''t. There''s certainly room, given they could fit it on the tiny 1cm open heart on the bracelet... I had never even checked, until now.

Oh, and as for the link, sounds like yours didn''t get flipped in the process, so both stamps ended up on the same side? Mine says "Tiffany&Co." and "750" on the reverse.

To add to the inconsistency, my other Elsa Peretti pieces are "Peretti/Tiffany&Co." and "Spain/"750" -- presumably so that if one is looking at the chain before unhooking to put it on, one would see "Peretti" and "Spain" at the same time, instead of having to flip. If one is right-handed, that is.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have a jade heart pendant from Tiffany that also does not have a stamp.

urlelove

Rough_Rock
Beware if the imitation...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results