shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Lucida : is going from a 4.5 to 7.5 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CarZin

Rough_Rock
I have been debating getting a Tiffany Lucida that is for sale that would require me to resize 3 full ring sizes up. The band is platinum. I dont have to get a ring now, but this one might be a bargain. I want the ring to look perfect, and if this type of resizing could not be done properly at Tiffany''s, then I can wait. Any opinions?

It looks like most second hand Lucidas are a size 6, and from what I can tell, going from a 6 to a 7.5 is fairly trivial. The 4.5 ring offers significant value. Also, for those who know the ring, would the ring have different phyiscal dimesions width wise as a 4.5 compared to a 6 (would the ring look small on a size 7.5 finger after resizing if this clarifies the question at all).

Thanks!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will cost you quite a bit to size it up that much--likely more than $100 (I don't know about tiffany's pricing specifically, but it will be different for you as a secondhand buyer rather than if you'd bought it in the store). I don't know about the integrity of the ring after resizing, but that is quite a big difference.

What is the price on the 4½?

I got a size 5½ 3mm Lucida band from Signed Pieces for about $500. SP is a great place to watch for such things...

ETA: There's a size 6 one on ebay right now for $600 BIN

CarZin

Rough_Rock
This is actually an engagement ring, not just a bad. Right now this one is at $8000. Obviously, the cost for resizing is not an issue. I have looked at Signed Pieces auctions. However. they use stock photos that most people are fooled into thinking are the actual pieces, and as a result, the prices for their auctions are a lot higher than auctions that dont use stock (brand new tiffany ring pictures) photos. The ring I am going to buy has to be at least 1 carat, but I cant afford much more.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I didn't get that at all from your original post, you said "The band is platinum" which led me to believe it was a band. Regardless, everything I said still applies, minus the reference to the band on eBay.

For what it's worth, Signed Pieces' pics are not stock from the designers, they photograph each of their pieces. The reason their prices (they're not auctions) run higher is that they guarantee authenticity, which you won't get many other places.

If your budget is limited, why not go for a 'brand' other than Tiffany? You're paying a lot for the name, secondhand or otherwise. Unless you're after the specific lucida cut or the bragging rights of owning a Tiffany engagement ring.

P.S. You should probably has the admin to move this topic to "RockyTalk" (by clicking on "report post"). You'll get a lot more responses there.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way you''ll know the answer is to call Tiffany. But I wouldn''t do it. I think it is sizing up too much. I''d try to stay within one full size of the size you need.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 3:06:45 PM
Author: CarZin
This is actually an engagement ring, not just a bad. Right now this one is at $8000. Obviously, the cost for resizing is not an issue. I have looked at Signed Pieces auctions. However. they use stock photos that most people are fooled into thinking are the actual pieces, and as a result, the prices for their auctions are a lot higher than auctions that dont use stock (brand new tiffany ring pictures) photos. The ring I am going to buy has to be at least 1 carat, but I cant afford much more.

Signed Pieces actually does photograph their own things, but they also happen to be a VERY reputable store in NY that deals in tons of secondhand pieces. And they guarantee authenticity, which is probably the reason for the higher prices...

I would really worry about the integrity of the setting if you are sizing it up that much, that is a LOT. But the only one who can tell you for sure if it's possible is Tiffany's...

CarZin

Rough_Rock
A couple of updates...

1) The answer about using stock photographs for their tiffany lucidas came directly from signed pieces. I noticed that all the auctions looked like they were using the same. They stated that they sell too many of them to individually photograph all their ebay auctions, and that they would send me some photographs before payment if I had won.

2) I found a way around the resize. I ended up buying a 1.25 carat Tiffany Lucida that was a 4.5. tiffany will completely remount the diamond in a BRAND NEW PLATINUM RING for $550. Its hard to believe, but I verified it with 3 different stores. So, they will take the stone off, melt down the old ring, reinscribe a new ring, and remount the diamond.

I think if people knew that was an option, then these things would sell for even more. So thats what Im having the seller do for me.

Thanks for all the comments

CarZin

Rough_Rock
"If your budget is limited, why not go for a ''brand'' other than Tiffany? You''re paying a lot for the name, secondhand or otherwise. Unless you''re after the specific lucida cut or the bragging rights of owning a Tiffany engagement ring."

I wish is was that simple. She only wants Tiffany Lucida. She will be dissapointed with just about anything else (she has wanted this thing for a long time).

Fortunately, I was able to snag this ring for about 12k less than retail, and it will be indistinguishable for a new ring. I am pretty happy with the purchase.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic!!! Gosh, that is awfully good to know that they will remake a setting for an existing ring!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results