shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Legacy prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys

My girlfriend is mad about the Tiffany Legacy. With a large pile of student debt still to pay off, I'd pretty much discounted actually buying one and was looking at finding a stone myself and getting it set in something similar. Having been on the Tiffany's website, however, I noticed it says 'from $3,960' which isn't a million miles off the top end price range I had pencilled down for a copy. So I'm curious. How much Legacy does $3,960 get you? My ideal budget is nearer the $2,000 - 3,000 mark but I might stretch if I thought it was worth it.

Dan

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Dan,
I think the Legacy is lovely too. Tiffany pricing isn''t always clear and easy to understand, I''d suggest calling Tiffany and asking them
2.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt you would have much of a ring from Tiffany for $3960 (sorry!). I suggest getting something similar made by a jeweler like Quest or Whiteflash (lots of posts about both on the board).

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Even for a Legacy replica in plat, my setting alone cost just below 2k
1.gif
. I got mine done by Quest it was a Legacy/Legacy with graduated sidestones replica with some Daniel K elements. I did look rather seriously at the Legacy for a bit so here are some price quotes.

For a 1 ct Legacy I VVS it was 13k, .5 ct Legacy H VVS 7k. I did see some colored Legacies at Tiffany''s this weekend though and they were gorgeous!! (not on their website though) There was a 1.3 vivid pink sapphire which was pretty crazily priced 13k? An aquamarine 1.3 center for around 6k. If you girlfriend really loves the Legacy setting, how about getting her the setting made by someone else with a colored stone first and then replacing it with a diamond later?

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 12:35:17 PM
Author: Princess V
Even for a Legacy replica in plat, my setting alone cost just below 2k
1.gif
. I got mine done by Quest it was a Legacy/Legacy with graduated sidestones replica with some Daniel K elements. I did look rather seriously at the Legacy for a bit so here are some price quotes.

For a 1 ct Legacy I VVS it was 13k, .5 ct Legacy H VVS 7k. I did see some colored Legacies at Tiffany's this weekend though and they were gorgeous!! (not on their website though) There was a 1.3 vivid pink sapphire which was pretty crazily priced 13k? An aquamarine 1.3 center for around 6k. If you girlfriend really loves the Legacy setting, how about getting her the setting made by someone else with a colored stone first and then replacing it with a diamond later?
Think that answers my question - with a .5ct Legacy coming in at 7k I can comfortably strike that off my list
9.gif

I've heard a lot about Quest. I'd be looking at the standard Legacy rather than the tapered side stone version and go for white gold rather than platinum so I might have a word with them and see if that shaves anything off the $2k price tag.

I've seen a nice 0.56 carat, signature ideal, VS2 H stone at $1,376 which would bring things back in budget.

The other option would be to get a larger stone and a temporary plain setting until finances improve. Do you think a 0.56 carat stone would do a Legacy style ring justice?
40.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Yep Tiffany''s is crazy expensive!! I think that 3,900 dollar amount on their website is probably for a .25 ct
20.gif

I can''t say enough good things about Quest and I personally think that my setting is prettier than the Legacy
31.gif
but then again I am biased. I know they showed me a white gold halo when I first went in to meet with them so I''m sure they should be able to make you what you want. Besides you can always upgrade later on
2.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and btw, I tried on the .5 ct Legacy and fell in love so yes I do think a .5 ct will be beautiful in a halo
35.gif

lank

Rough_Rock
It will be hard to get even a replica made for $3K. The setting alone even in white gold will be $1K. The reason is because the
Legacy setting has halo diamonds around the center stone and diamonds down the side of the band. Then factor in the center stone and
with the 2K left over you might be able to get a .5-.7 carat, H color, SI1. It all depends on the quality you want.
I just made a 1.27 center stone legacy style ring in platinum and it cost me close to 8K Good luck, the Legacy is a gorgeous ring, she will be happy
Make sure you have a good jeweler who can make a replica or use the recommendations of the e-tailers on this board. With your budget
a real Tiffany ring is out of the question. Besides, Tiffany Retail is twice as expensive as everyone else, you pay for the name

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like I can get what I want as long as I avoid that little blue box
38.gif
- will have a word with the people at Quest
37.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrincessV, what are the differences between the Tiffany Legacy and your Quest replica? What changes did you make? I don''t know the Legacy well, so I was curious, but I think your ring is just stunning.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Kim N thank you so much!! Well the shape of my halo itself looks like the Daniel K www.danielk.net except with no miligraining on the inside and a smooth bezel polish (I think it makes the stone look bigger). The difference in the Daniel K halo and the Legacy halo face up is the little bars of miligraining to section off the corners. (Kaleigh''s asscher is just like my halo) Also another big difference in my ring vs the regular Legacy is that there is no underwires rather there is another side of the halo like in the Legacy with graduated sidestones and Daniel K. The side view of the Daniel K halo part is pretty much just like mine but the actual shank and side view is like the regular Legacy.

Pretty much if I had gotten it made into a shape more like the Legacy, the Jubilee would look too rounded (Rose at Quest sent me the initial CADs where it was way too rounded and she made the decision to make it more square). Hope this helps!
35.gif
Sorry if I hijacked thunkpad
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this setting on a website. I have no idea whether they are a great place to order from, but they are a member of the bbb and they have a good return policy. It looks pretty close to a legacy for a round brilliant diamond. It''s also very reasonable at $1,075 for white gold...ok the bad part is...they make it for a .70-1ct diamond. Maybe they could make you one for a .5ct diamond for a smaller price though. It might be worth looking into. Here''s the link:

http://www.adiamor.com/R-1089-R2801-1.htm

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 7:17:08 PM
Author: Kim N
PrincessV, what are the differences between the Tiffany Legacy and your Quest replica? What changes did you make? I don''t know the Legacy well, so I was curious, but I think your ring is just stunning.
PrincessV''s ring is prettier!
9.gif

The bad girls at Tiff''s last weekend compared PrincessV''s ring right next to the Legacy. The Quest halo just looked nicer, and the price of the little blue box was insane.
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 12:48:27 PM
Author: thunkpad

I''ve seen a nice 0.56 carat, signature ideal, VS2 H stone at $1,376 which would bring things back in budget.

The other option would be to get a larger stone and a temporary plain setting until finances improve. Do you think a 0.56 carat stone would do a Legacy style ring justice?
40.gif
If your girlfriend is *mad about* the Legacy look, a simple solitaire may not please her regardless of the size.

Also, a halo on a half carat will look MUCH larger than a 0.75 ct solitaire. That 0.56 with the Quest halo would be a fantastic ring for your $3000 budget. If finances are really tight, white gold is an option, but you could also have a few less diamonds around the shank if necessary. Most of the Quest rings I have seen are either eternity or almost eternity. The cost is in the labor to set each of those tiny stones. You could go with only a few on each side down the shank, IMO. Just my 2 cents . . . .

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your gf loves the Tiffany "Legacy", i would suggest to you to think again before asking a jeweler to copy.
The Legacy is a patented Cushion Shape Diamond, the visuall appearance will be completely different that any other look-a-like Center Diamond that you will set in the Copied ring.

I have not seen any copies with a diamond that resembles the Patented cushion of the Legacy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed... with DiaGem.

It shouldn''t be feasible to have a ''copy'' (i.e. something truly hard to tell from the original) done at a huge discount. Some... I guess, because few would dare charge for the ''name'' as Tiffany can. But this doesn''t make workmanship inexpensive.

Looking for something similar - say, keeping some of the features of the ring in and the overall shape should allow some choice. After all, the legacy is not the end all of all rings - even if ''identical'' can''t be had elsewhere, the style is not anyone''s property and I''d bet that other designer collections and custom jewelers took up Tiffany''s trail. What else is new? And also, I would not be surprised if one of these follow ups will turn out just as good and appealing.

Btw. There are a couple of ''Legacies'' - one with a wider, tapered band and more intricate profile and one with a thin, even band.

Rings of either style turn up online easily: try Icestore (a nice version of the "small'' Legacy), Ritani has a couple of rings with graduated round diamonds on the sides of the main stone - sure they didn''t copy Tiffany, but some of the designs follow the general idea. A few things from among the postings in the Picture Gallery here come to mind too.

And sure enough, there were cast copies of the Legacy one minute after the first ring hit a Tiffany shop. The least expensive rings of this style should be among those. And... well, there''s no telling what is priced how. What I am trying to say... is that even if looking out for the best deal makes perfect sense, that may not work if quality is simply ditched. There''s is no shortage of rock-bottom crap (ok, that isn''t a nice word, but I doubt that a ''Legacy'' ring made of 14k gold and set with $10 worth of CZ is made well - it would be sad for any bench jeweler if that were the case).

My 2c

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Aw diamondlil thanks!!
9.gif
I agree with what diamondlil said, if your gf loves the Legacy, she most likely won''t be happy with a solitare if she''s anything like me.
31.gif

DiaGem is right on the patented cushion cut of the Legacy. I have to admit that''s the one thing that bothers me about the Legacy as well. I honestly don''t love the cut..I feel like it either should be a step cut or a cushion and in between is just too weird for me. For that reason, if I were buying either the Legacy or the HW, I''d pick the HW hands down because it is a cushion. No offense to anyone who loves the cut in the Legacy! I was just giving MHO
2.gif

Also, when you look at copies of the Legacy, the underwire seems to be the problem that most ''knock-offs'' have. They are either too thick and wide or not as appealing to the eye (ie poor craftsmanship but I won''t point out any rings in particular
12.gif
) I have to admit I was more than hesitant about those in the creation of my ring which is why I decided to do away with it. Now that my ring is done, I have no doubt that Quest would have been able to produce the lovely underwires of the Legacy, but at the time it just wasn''t a chance I wanted to take.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 1:32:13 AM
Author: kcoursolle
I found this setting on a website. I have no idea whether they are a great place to order from, but they are a member of the bbb and they have a good return policy. It looks pretty close to a legacy for a round brilliant diamond. It's also very reasonable at $1,075 for white gold...ok the bad part is...they make it for a .70-1ct diamond. Maybe they could make you one for a .5ct diamond for a smaller price though. It might be worth looking into. Here's the link:

http://www.adiamor.com/R-1089-R2801-1.htm
Thanks kcoursolle
36.gif

I've spoken to Quest and their Halo in white gold would be $1,800 which I could still do in budget but having seen the Adiamor round version for $1,075 I'm very tempted to go with that. That way I could get a bigger stone (0.7) for the same money overall and have the advantage of it being a round for that extra sparkle. Spoke to the folks there and they seemed to know what they were talking about - good reports about them online too. Hmm, decisions, decisions...
40.gif

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
hey thunkpad,

just to add another price quote. i don't remember the exact specs now and i don't have them w/ me.. but about 2 weeks ago i stopped by tiffany's to check out some of their rings w/ my gf. we wanted to see the legacy in person, and we saw this huge 1ct one.. which was way to large for her fingers. i didn't inquire as to the actual specs of the center diamond, but i believe the price was about 12-14K.

when we asked for something smaller, her finger size is less than 3, they pulled out a lovely dainty one. it was so stunning on her finger because proportionally it was just the right size! it was a .31 ct cushion, i think it was F or G color, vvs2 i believe, w/ 32 round diamonds, .1 tcw. but then it's much easier to get better quality diamonds at smaller sizes of course. the price tag was around either $5.2K or 5.6K, i forget. it would have to be resized though and they weren't even sure their NY shop could do it.. anyway.. the tiffany markup was just too much for me. besides the fact that we were looking for a sapphire anyway =) and now are looking at having a custom legacy style setting made for the sapphire.

good luck!
so yeah, depending on the size of your gf's finger.. if she's very petite, a $4K legacy may be perfect (although overpriced), however if her finger size is something like 6 or up i don't think the low end legacy will work.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the update Londonblue. She's a size 7 so anything I could afford from Tiffany's would be lost on her finger.

In the end I went with the setting suggested by kcoursolle (well done to kc for finding it!) and was able to afford an ideal cut .71 RB VS2 J which should look much better than the chip I would have got from Tiffany's. (I get to see it in just over three week's time)

Maybe when my salary hits six figures I'll take another look at Tiff's
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad I was helpful to you!
21.gif
I think your future fiance''s ring sounds lovely. A .71ct with a halo will look great on a size 7. I think that halos really make the stone look bigger. I can''t wait to see pictures when it''s all done, be sure to post them!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2006 5:08:33 PM
Author: londonblue
hey thunkpad,

just to add another price quote. i don''t remember the exact specs now and i don''t have them w/ me.. but about 2 weeks ago i stopped by tiffany''s to check out some of their rings w/ my gf. we wanted to see the legacy in person, and we saw this huge 1ct one.. which was way to large for her fingers. i didn''t inquire as to the actual specs of the center diamond, but i believe the price was about 12-14K.

when we asked for something smaller, her finger size is less than 3, they pulled out a lovely dainty one. it was so stunning on her finger because proportionally it was just the right size! it was a .31 ct cushion, i think it was F or G color, vvs2 i believe, w/ 32 round diamonds, .1 tcw. but then it''s much easier to get better quality diamonds at smaller sizes of course. the price tag was around either $5.2K or 5.6K, i forget. it would have to be resized though and they weren''t even sure their NY shop could do it.. anyway.. the tiffany markup was just too much for me. besides the fact that we were looking for a sapphire anyway =) and now are looking at having a custom legacy style setting made for the sapphire.

good luck!
so yeah, depending on the size of your gf''s finger.. if she''s very petite, a $4K legacy may be perfect (although overpriced), however if her finger size is something like 6 or up i don''t think the low end legacy will work.

You should check out Tiffany''s new addition to the legacy...

Colored Gems and Colored semi-precious Gems.

I believe you are able to find a "Legacy" setting with a Blue colored Gem for about less than half the price from its Diamond counterpart...

Good Luck.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Any pics of the sapphire version?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I ve been trying to locate any pictures on the Tiffany site for a while, but no luck so-far.

I did see it in person at a few locations...

I saw it in, Blue Aquamarine, pink Saphires, Yellow Citrines, Green Tsavorites.

I think they came out with some more color options...

open culet

Rough_Rock
Why not skip the engagement ring and buy a beautiful wedding band from Tiffany, maybe Schlumberger.

Buy a diamond later as an anniversary present when you have more money to spend.

I would rather have a killer wedding band than a diamond that is less than what I really want.

Just a thought!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I think a halo is the PERFECT option when you want something bigger than you can actually get. I have size 7 fingers (6 3/4) and I think my 1ct Ideal looks small on them. I think the halo will make the stone pop!! Where did you buy your stone and congrats on your purchase.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I just looked at the detail of the setting you chose and it''s beautiful!! I''ve heard good things about their settings.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2006 9:12:34 AM
Author: marriahlyn
I just looked at the detail of the setting you chose and it's beautiful!! I've heard good things about their settings.
Thanks Marriahlyn. I looked around and nothing else came close. It's exactly the look I was after - apart from the round stone rather than the cushion, but I figured there are so many advantages getting a round stone instead of a fancy in terms of color and sparkle that it was a 'compromise' worth making. Can't wait to see the final results.

I got the stone from them too. Their prices seemed pretty good and I was able to afford a well cut stone (it's one of their Affinity Ideals which they compare to Hearts and Arrows cuts - though I'm not expecting it to be quite that perfect given the price). Will report back when it arrives.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
hey thunkpad, congrats!
do you have any images of the ring you got from the website? i'm curious - ah, nvm, i just found your images. where are you getting the setting from? the images you posted look just like the tiffany style =)

about colored tiffany halo's, we saw just this weeekend at the tiffany's in sf some large colored halo rings, it looked like pink sapphire and blue topaz versions. there might have been an aquamarine version too, they made the stones huge.. must have measured 10x10mm at least - not something i'm a fan off because they start looking like those candy rings they sell to kids.

we looked at some tiffany sapphires and they were amazingly atrocious.. dark little zoned rocks stuff of to the side of the diamonds, really nothing that said "i'm a sapphire!"

but we were only browsing.. i have some cushion sapphires coming in this week to check out and will be looking for some advice pretty soon =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results