shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure she wants a princess? I can't remember if Tiffany carries princesses or not, but I'm assuming Mara is correct. If she wants a princess, and Mara is correct, you can't go to Tiffany. The Lucida really looks quite different than a princess. If she wants Tiffany above all else, then you should get a round. Is there any way you can find out if she likes the Lucida shape?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/21/2003 8:39:13 AM fire&ice wrote:
The reason I ask is many gals state that but in reality would prefer a larger non-tif stone.
----------------
Totally true, F&I, and not beating a dead horse at all. I think there are times when all of us women say "Oh , YEAH, I want one of THESE......but when we realize what one of THESE means, we quickly say...."well, in THAT case, I'd rather have this!"

The "idea" of the name appeals to many of us on some level, but the "reality" of the name tends to have a lot less appeal.

In fact, I joked with my BF on this too......"of course, you DO realize that I am SO worth a Tiffany......(said TOTALLY in jest and completely deadpan)......", but after about a 10-second pause, I quickly told him "don't even think about it......I'd rather have a more visible, more value-appropriate stone".

If someone truly wants a Tiffany and the name is of more value than size, color, etc., then by all means get the Tiffany. But F&I makes a good point....make sure you confirm that first.

tbone343

Rough_Rock
She wanted something like this:

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/tiffany_setting.asp?

She didn't really care for this:

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/lucida.asp?

So I guess this refers to the type of setting: Tiffany setting versus Lucida setting. She had said that she prefers the prior. Now, I believe she said she wanted the princess cut (is that not what is shown in the first picture). Also, so there is both a Lucida setting and a Lucida cut? I guess I'm a bit confused here.
Up_to_something.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first link you posted is a round brilliant diamond, not a princess. A princess is basically a true square diamond. Not round. Not oval. Not triangular. Square.

The second link you posted is the Lucida. Tiffany doesn't sell their stones separate from their setting...so that IS the Lucida ring. It's a special cut branded by Tiffany (though there are others branded under different names that look similar), and the Lucida setting (commonly referred to)...though the entire e-ring IS Lucida. I guess it could be confusing.

It does not refer to the type of setting. It refers to the ring itself. Because they don't sell stones separate from the setting, the ring IS the brand name. The Tiffany engagement ring is considered the classic 6 prong set round diamond. The Lucida ring is the rounded square stone in the chunkier Vatche setting.

So sounds like she likes the round brilliant with the typical 6 prong Tiffany style setting. Not the Lucida....and possibly not a princess...as that is a square and nowhere near the same look as the first link?

Here's a pic of a true hard edged princess from a recent thread in 'Show me the Ring'
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-the-ring-today.8415/

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Tbone - it sounds like you need to do some more sleuthing regarding her preferences. Perhaps enlist the aid or a trusted friend or family member to glean some info from her.

If she wants a Tiffany ring, she *indeed* could mean the "style". It's a classic that was conceived by Tiffany & Co. in their hayday of years gone by. Several companies make the style w/ many being as classic & classy.

That said, she may be sold on the name. BUT...I think you really need to know that before you buy either a smaller diamond or spend more money.

Good luck.

Al, a salad spinner would have been lovely. It's quite a joke around here & with my friends. Any "dog" gift is refered by "this (my present)" name. It was cool - as in technique. It was not me; and, I could not use it to clean salad.
9.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My 2 cents on the Tiffany's argument:

I didn't even know about the blue box until a few years ago. (I don't know what rock I grew up under
rolleyes.gif
). Thus, it means nothing to me.

However, thinking about being surprised with a ring and proposal. The Tiffany's ring takes the questions out if it. That is what their brand is worth. I would know that I my husband-to-be cared enough to buy a great, classic ring, at the place that's for the "premium chache". That's important for something so sentimental that I'm going to wear for a long time. (But not necessarily forever -- get to that idea now.
9.gif
.) I would feel great about it, and that's important for something of this magnitude.

The other side of the argument is the extra $$ spent to get that piece of mind. Only you know what your priorities are as a new couple getting started in life together. Sometimes priorities like buying a house would make that $$ look like a waste. (I live in Calif, where buying a first house is incrediblly hard!)

It's just a tradeoff that only you can make, knowing your fiancee-to-be better than anyone here. You can get look-a-likes or even better from lots of places, but it won't be "from Tiffany's".

I'd think more about how your gf feels and thinks about things like this, and what your priorities are together, than the specifics of the ring. You can get the same general looks and styles, along with great quality, lots of places.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/21/2003 2:46:29 PM fire&ice wrote:

Al, a salad spinner would have been lovely. It's quite a joke around here & with my friends. Any "dog" gift is refered by "this (my present)" name. It was cool - as in technique. It was not me; and, I could not use it to clean salad.
9.gif
----------------

HAAAA ha ha......hee hee hee......too funny
9.gif

No, no...not a salad spinner, a salad shooter. Looks like a plastic white vice grip.....supposed to be like a hand-held food processor of sorts that SHOOTS OUT perfect slices of cucumber, tomato, etc. Very cool concept, except for the fact that the food chamber that you put the veggies into is no bigger than the size of a friggin quarter, so you STILL have to chop the daylights out of them long before they'll FIT into the glorious appliance. ACK! One of those notorious RONCO products, I think. Somehow, my mother thought this was perfect for me.....what does that say?

Now, the salad SPINNER.....I'm a huge fan of that. BF almost fell off his chair when I came home with the $20 OXO salad spinner.....I seem to recall his comment was....(said incredulously), "You paid $20 for THAT?!?!?" closely followed by "Next time I purchase XXXX, I don't want to hear a word!" Laughed my head off.

Let me tell you, though, that salad spinner is awesome. Just pump the thing on top, and we have salad in centrifugal motion....water free. And it has a lock on the top; can just store the leftover salad right in the bowl. It's the damnest thing since the wheel....(and shaped the same, too!)
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/21/2003 4:13:48 PM hoorray wrote:
I would know that I my husband-to-be cared enough to buy a great, classic ring, at the place that's for the "premium chache. That's important for something so sentimental that I'm going to wear for a long time.

----------------
Cared enough to buy at Tiffany's? OH MY LORD.....I know we're just rehashing old stuff, guys, but I just cannot remain silent on this.

Cared enough? Cared enough to SPEND OUTRAGEOUS MONEY? Are you related to DimonBob?

For the love of Pete! Money does NOT equal caring. Period. Mara put it very succinctly in a past post: Caring is chicken soup and a backrub when you don't feel well. Any yutz can plunk down a credit card.

Look, if what a girl truly wants is a "Tiffany" ring, and her guy knows that and that's why he buys at Tiff's, then yes, it's caring. If he has no idea what she wants.... so he goes to Tiffany's because he's completely devoid of any imagination whatsoever and cannot be bothered to learn about what makes a great diamond, I'm sorry, but that's not caring....that's lazy.

It doesn't cost my guy a thing to make sure his dirty socks get *into* the hamper and to change the trash bag when it's full.....things that HE could care less about but he does because he knows I DO care about them. That's caring. When he comes home with a flower he picked, it's because he thought of me and CARES.

The idea that how much one is loved is directly related to how much they're willing to spend just makes my blood boil.

I'd write more, but I'm on my way out the door to anger management classes! LOLOL

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/21/2003 4:17
6.gif
0 PM aljdewey wrote:
Let me tell you, though, that salad spinner is awesome. Just pump the thing on top, and we have salad in centrifugal motion....water free. And it has a lock on the top; can just store the leftover salad right in the bowl. It's the damnest thing since the wheel....(and shaped the same, too!)
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

----------------

My 3-year-old son is fascinated with our salad spinner. He demands to see everything that's going on and to help out with the cranking. He also like me to open it up so he can see the basket going around. One time I opened it up too soon and the lettuce went flying everywhere. Of course, he thought that was hiliarious.

3.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/21/2003 4:30:16 PM LawGem wrote:My 3-year-old son is fascinated with our salad spinner. He demands to see everything that's going on and to help out with the cranking. He also like me to open it up so he can see the basket going around. One time I opened it up too soon and the lettuce went flying everywhere. Of course, he thought that was hiliarious.
3.gif
----------------

Ha, ha.....LG.....it would appear your son and I are like-minded.....and easily amused!

Incidentally, I am stingy and don't let BF help with the cranking. What would I do if he BROKE it? I'd be appalled....and unamused....AND (sucking in breath in horror) I would have WET salad. YUCK!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Ahh - I see. Yeah, I love my salad spinner. I actually asked for it for my birthday! Simple pleasures really do make me happy. I always get a couple of packs of Altoids for gifts. They really are curiously strong.

I'm not familiar w/ salad shooter. Sounds like a good idea gone bad.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like 'Perfect Pancake'...yanno as seen on TV. Yes I was the sucker who paid $19.99 for it to help me make perfect pancakes...except that when you try to effortlessly flip it, the batter leaks out the sides because it is a cheap piece of crap that doesn't close all the way...but anyway...good idea...
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Look, if what a girl truly wants is a "Tiffany" ring, and her guy knows that and that's why he buys at Tiff's, then yes, it's caring. If he has no idea what she wants.... so he goes to Tiffany's because he's completely devoid of any imagination whatsoever and cannot be bothered to learn about what makes a great diamond, I'm sorry, but that's not caring....that's lazy.

I tried to stay away but...

Agree completely. For some men, buying Tiffany does mean "buying the best." For many men, though, buying Tiffany is the equivalent of roses and chocolate or dinner and a movie--something that they think equals automatic romance without having to be creative or imaginative.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/21/2003 4:37:18 PM Mara wrote:

Sounds like 'Perfect Pancake'...yanno as seen on TV. Yes I was the sucker who paid $19.99 for it to help me make perfect pancakes...except that when you try to effortlessly flip it, the batter leaks out the sides because it is a cheap piece of crap that doesn't close all the way...but anyway...good idea...

2.gif

----------------
OH MY GOD......I'm laughing so hard! I thought that thing was pretty cool (but not cool as in "I want one").......glad I didn't succumb to the hype.

The batter leaked.....Oh, I can just SEE that happening, and my utter surprise and dismay.

(I'm going to be laughing for the rest of the evening now! Thanks, guys!)

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it's a waste of time to rehash this, but I think the point is not what you believe (I actually happen to agree with your view of it), but what SHE believes.

Not all Yutz's will plop down extra $$ to make sure they get a great ring, and not all Yutz's have the time or mindset to sort through all the details to find one for less. Some Yutz's just go get sub-average stuff at mall stores instead. So, I think in some cases going to Tiffany's does show caring -- it show's he wanted to get the best, whether or not he got the best deal for it. And, if it's important to her, it shows he paid attention to that.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/21/2003 4:37:18 PM Mara wrote:

2.gif

----------------

Ha!Ha! I never fall victim to bad kitchen gagets.
9.gif

Sadly, though, I have a drawer full of failed hair toys. Definitely a victim in that regard. And, even sadder, I am always open to new product recommendations from anyone.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Here is the infamous salad shooter (notice how PERFECT it APPEARS to work in the picture!!! Don't be fooled, kind friends. It is NOT this easy.)

celebritycookware_1749_232139

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks kind of like McDonalds hamburgers..all perfect and beautiful in the picture, then you order one and it comes all sloppy with the meat half falling off and 20 pickles and no mustard.

Ahh the power of marketing. Kind of like those swell Tiffany store lights and De Beers advertising campaigns.
9.gif

(see I'm staying on topic!)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like the Perfect Pancake secretly wanted to be a waffle iron.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/21/2003 5:22:38 PM aljdewey wrote:
Here is the infamous salad shooter (notice how PERFECT it APPEARS to work in the picture!!! Don't be fooled, kind friends. It is NOT this easy.)

----------------

I think what this world needs is a Diamond Shooter: you drop rough stones in the top and it shoots super-ideals out the bottom. THAT would really rock the trade.

11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
$19.99 on late nite TV LawGem....

eilonr

Rough_Rock
I saw you are saving for a Tiffany diamond jewelry. May I suggest you buy loose diamonds directly from diamond manufacturers, like /snipped/ where you can have up to 50% (!!!) discount, and then let your jewelerer set the diamonds within a ring.

This way you get a beautiful diamond ring at a much cheaper cost.

Eilon R.
loopy.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 1:12:13 AM eilonr wrote:

I saw you are saving for a Tiffany diamond jewelry. May I suggest **snipped***
This way you get a beautiful diamond ring at a much cheaper cost.

Eilon R.
loopy.gif
----------------

Ya know.....this is just a WILD guess.....but considering you're just registered today and all....you don't happen to WORK for **snipped** do you?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaw.
11.gif

Edited to note: Leonid did not edit this thread in any way. I did it in support of Leonid's effort to stem self-promotion which is not allowed. Regards, Al

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Be a good steward of your money even the wealthy go broke.

If your going to brag about overpaying for a product then let there be a logo you can
flash
1.gif
or carry the blue box around to prove it
1.gif

Example ~ Customer sees a diamond ring at their store (tiffany's) for $60,000 , I
match the same cut and proportions of the diamond as well as the color and clarity
and style of the ring for $22,000!

Its up to you on how you want to spend your money , I just hate paying through my
taxes for bankruptcies
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Eilon R.

plugging again ? I thought that was a no no here
1.gif

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 8:24:53 AM Iceman wrote:

Eilon R.

plugging again ? I thought that was a no no here
1.gif

----------------
A no no? Then howcome GOG and other vendors plug all the time. Is this a GOG promotional site or an open forum for information? As soon as someone mentions where they are buying from, everyone starts recommending and PLUGGING their own sites and stores. Thats why one should not rely on all the so called "EXPERTS" on this site as they all have their own agenda. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and if you get a chance go to GOG
11.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Kiz: Look, I know this rankles you because you think everyone on the planet should buy at Tiff's........but.......

None of the vendors here engage in SELF-promotion. Yes, several of us customers/participants frequently recommend vendors we have either used or come to highly respect. I recommend GOG, WF, NiceIce and DBOF all the time. They've earned my respect and my recommendation. Further, if there's even a question that one of THEM crosses the line, it's called out very quickly.

In fact, part of the reason I do recommend them is because each regularly participates in the forum WITHOUT crossing the line....and often get involved in threads that have no potential benefit for them. They just are trying to help.

And that IS the point of pricescope....it's a place where people can educate themselves about diamonds and get the straight scoop from consumers on whose trustworthy.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kiz,

There is a difference between an expert/vendor answering consumers’ questions, provide education and puts a link to her/his site and blatant or disguised self-promotion.

I think trade experts who spare their time helping consumers deserve getting a link to their site and consumer recommendations. Yes it is a form of promotion but it's a consumer-friendly alternative to traditional advertisements.

One can spend millions on advertisement and branding on TV, magazines, etc. and thus create a perception of quality, romance, and exclusivity.

Internet gives you another option: contribute with your knowledge to communities. Share your knowledge and your time. Furthermore, if an internet vendor screws, it becomes known to millions of people. So these vendors literally put their reputation on line.

Guess which one of these forms of advertisement is most efficient and appreciated by consumers.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 9
6.gif
6:17 AM aljdewey wrote:

Kiz: Look, I know this rankles you because you think everyone on the planet should buy at Tiff's........but.......

----------------
That statement alone shows your ignorance and how blinded you are when you read this forum. You see what you want to see and back it up with the usuall explanantion of "being a satisfied customer". Prove to me you are a customer and not an employee.
Up_to_something.gif
Thats pretty hard to do isnt it? Well, being an outsider how do you expect people to know the face behind the username? All Im saying is that everyone who comes on this board for advise, should not ONLY rely on the feedback they get from these "experts". Never once have I TOLD someone yto buy from Tiffany, just because it was the right purchase for ME. You need to realize that others have their own opinion and stop thinking that your way is the right and only way. Here Ill do your work for you: HEy everyone make sure you go to GOG
11.gif

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 9:13:35 AM leonid wrote:

Kiz,

There is a difference between an expert/vendor answering consumers’ questions, provide education and puts a link to her/his site and blatant or disguised self-promotion.
----------------

I agree with you!
However, can you prove to me that any particular one of these participants is not affiliated with the site/store they are "recommending"? That is all Im saying.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results