shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany & Co. -- Lucida 1.98 F VVS2 Platinum -- How much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ferris Bueller

Rough_Rock
How much do you think is reasonable to pay for a two year old Tiffany & Co. Lucida-cut diamond engagement ring, 1.98 ct, F color, VVS2 clarity, Platinum setting? I understand I can do a Pricescope search for this particular stone, but considering it is an authentic Tiffany ring, what is the added value for the complete ring itself (including all original documentation and packaging)? Any and all thoughts/insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What is the source of the ring?
Have you been able to call Tiffany’s and confirm that the number within the ring matches what you are being told?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow, what a super opportunity! Please show us if you buy it! If not, send me the contact info!
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How much was the retail price two years ago? Given that it''s too new to be vintage, I''d shave off at least 25%-30% from the retail price for being a "used" ring.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
I have a Tiffany Ring purchased at Tiffany's Flagship Manhattan Store. Here's my input. I have an F VS1 1.7 center Fancy pear not counting sidestones. It is rated excellent for symmetry & polish and an excellent cut practically nil for a bowtie. Here's why I won't buy my upgrade from Tiffany. Although it is remarkably beautiful & I get compliments everywhere, when I went to get my ring serviced I happened to kill time by looking at similar rings. I found out that whatever a pear center goes for on pricescope take that amount & literally times it by 2... I'm not kidding this is how much the mark-up is at Tiffanys. This price did not include the cost of two identical side stones.

I won't ever give up my pear but that's just some food for thought. The other thing is if the ring was purchased out of the store already set it may not have the number engraved next to the Tiffany & co trademark. That is the case with my ring. Whatever you do make sure you check with Tiffany because I've seen way too many people finding out what they bought second hand was not a Tiffany Ring. Don't know how the heck they can tell or if my diamond has something lasered into it or maybe I'm just in their computer but they'll know if it's not Authentic.

Hope that helps.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diam100 - Would love to see pictures of that ring!
21.gif
!

Ferris Bueller

Rough_Rock
Ring is 100% certified by Tiffany by me in person. Mint condition and I believe it was never "used" (appears to be brand new, but Tiffany stated "light patina" -- their polite way of saying "not brand new from the store"). I believe the retail price was $32,000 about 2-3 years ago, and now retails for about $48,000 for an identical ring. My original question was, what is a reasonable price range for this ring now? (I''m looking for specific dollar figures.) Does the fact the cost of an identical "brand new" ring has increased so dramatically play an important factor? Btw, symmetry and polish are VG and VG. Thanks all for your responses.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
The Lucida is a beautiful cut. Despite a broken engagement and the insane insurance costs on mine, I can''t part with my stone.

Would the seller be willing to send the ring to New York for a Tiffany''s valuation? It might take some time, but it will let you know what Tiffany''s thinks the ring is now worth. I imagine they''ll depreciate it. The setting itself costs $550 based on what the Philadelphia Tiffany''s told me a few months ago when I was considering a trade-in and would have to have had the ring reset from a custom design. A Tiffany''s valuation will also let you know if there is any damage to the stone. Tiffany''s noticed a slight chip in my stone that three other jewelers (including the one that reset the stone) never noticed and that may or may not exist.

From what you''re saying, the price has really gone up on the Lucida! My 2.23 F VVS2 with excellent symmetry and polish cost $42,300 in early 2001. When I considered selling it on consignment in Southern California, I was told that the most I could expect to net was $25,000--nearly 40% less than the purchase price. The seller should still have the original paperwork from Tiffany''s which will tell you the sale price.

My best advice would be to get the Tiffany''s valuation and aim for 30% of that price. That amount should net the seller more than selling the ring on consignment or selling it directly to an estate jeweler. I hope this helps!

Ferris Bueller

Rough_Rock
Just as an FYI to the kind people who responded, please know I received the valuation from Tiffany for the ring and it was $40,600, over $8k more than it was originally appraised for (also by Tiffany) several years ago. Maybe it is due, in part, to the perfect condition of the ring/stone, but I guess these things do appreciate. Not looking forward to the insurance payments. Thanks for the advice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2006 2:39:40 PM
Author: Ferris Bueller

... the valuation from Tiffany ... was $40,600, over $8k more than it was originally appraised for (also by Tiffany) several years ago.

The price of diamonds goes up, and the Legacy rings may have become more popular (and marked up), but...

If anything, an independent appraisal would persuade me more than the seller''s - even if the seller is Tiffany.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2006 2:39:40 PM
Author: Ferris Bueller
Just as an FYI to the kind people who responded, please know I received the valuation from Tiffany for the ring and it was $40,600, over $8k more than it was originally appraised for (also by Tiffany) several years ago. Maybe it is due, in part, to the perfect condition of the ring/stone, but I guess these things do appreciate. Not looking forward to the insurance payments. Thanks for the advice.
I agree with Valeria. Of course Tiffany''s going to say it''s worth more now than then; it''s in their vested interest. You should go to an independent appraiser and make it clear this is for a purchase (and not for insurance purposes).

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since 2001 the price of diamonds shot up a min. of 30% to some items doubeling, and that is on the wholesale level!!!
You should take into consideration that a 1.98 is a verry sought after size..., the premium on that kind of carat weight can be significant!!!

You can try to evaluate a diamond with a retail price from two years ago, but you will NOT be able to purchase this kind of a ring (by Tiffany) at a discount,
Diamond rings are not used cars...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2006 5:34:23 PM
Author: DiaGem

You can try to evaluate a diamond with a retail price from two years ago, but you will NOT be able to purchase this kind of a ring (by Tiffany) at a discount,
Diamond rings are not used cars...
Is this the case for branded cuts or most other signed diamond rings? There just seem to be very few Lucida diamonds around.

Tiffany engagement rings with generic diamond shapes come out discounted - well, at least relative to the current quotes for similar. I came to expect quite a price slash (30-40%) for something in perfect order, papers & all. Perhaps less fine items fare worse...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, like i said, Diamonds are not used cars..., and if you purchased a decent Diamond a few years back, you should have no problem re-selling it today for close to the original purchase price.

If you purchased a diamond back in the late 70''s or early 80''s, that would be a different story, but its a long one..., but interesting.

Yes, Lucida''s are not around that much for the only reason that ONLY Tiffany''s sells them. and obviously some right brands will keep price and probably go up in price in the future, (Its still to early to now if Lucida is one of them).

Diamond dont become used, they might be outdated as far as stylles and cutting dimensions, but a round diamond cut 15 years ago could still be considered an ideal cut these days, and it might be considered a poor cit these day''s, obviously one of them will keep price and one will be harder to re-sale...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results