shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiff vs HRD stone query e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nigestar

Rough_Rock
Hi there

Trying to decide between 3 rings

any views on this diamonds e-rings as

Tiffany VS1 F Colour 1.06 CT with Excellent Cut/Polish
Zero Fluoresence
Culet none
Medium to slighlty thick Girdle

HRD
round brilliant cut
1.13 CT
VVS2
F
proportions VERY GOOD
girdle MEDIUM 4% FACETED
culet POINTED
table width 61%
pav depth 41%
crown hght 14.5%
finish VERY GOOD
Flour zERO

dimensions 6.61* 6.66*4.14mm

HRD
round brilliant cut
1.06CT
VVS2
F
proportions VERY GOOD
girdle MEDIUM 4% FACETED
culet POINTED
table width 60%
pav depth 42.5%
crown hght 15.5%
finish VERY GOOD
dimensions 6.46* 6.5*3.99mm
FLOUR zERO

the tiff is 10% more expensive.

n the 2 HRDs on 4 prong platinum setting there is a price difference of $750

any advice on which is the better choice in terms of quality on two HRD stones appreciated

solange

Brilliant_Rock
The Tiffany stone does not have enough information to compare it to the two HRD stones. Can you get Tiffany to get you a recent GIA report or sarin that will give you the crown and pavillion angles as well as the table size and depth? As to the Excellent polish and cut, that is nice to know but does not give much informaion about the actual proportions of the stone. Some people prefer a smaller or larger table as well as other factors not given here.

As to the two HRD stones, it says that the proportions are very good. Just my personal taste but I would rather have Ideal or superIdeal cut and lower clarity. I think vvs2 is higher than you have to go to get a beautiful eye clean stone with a better cut. Why pay for what you cannot see with such clarity when you can get a better proportioned stone for the price.

To me, the table sizes on the HRD's seem a bit large but I am not an expert and I am sure someone else will come on and give you additional advice.

By the way, I hate to seem ignorant but what is HRD?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am somewhat surprised that there is only 10% difference in price between the Tiffany and the unbranded HRD''s.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I am wondering how one can compare the value on the Tiffany stone with so little information provided as to cut with the HRD stones?
Does the exellent Tiffany cut grade give enough information to make a comparison? I am not in a position to give any advice. I am just interestd in learnig for my own enlighntenment. I am hoping someone with the xpertise I do not have wll answer these questions.
I was under the impression that the Tiffany Excellent cut grade is somewhat controversial and covers a lot of territory.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Solange,

I am not comparing value, and certainly not cut-value here.

A normal Tiffany-stone carries a hefty premium, even compared to the best AGS-0''s. Let us say 50%, but it could be more. I do not know whether they have that cut-value, but that is their price.
The HRD-stones presented here seem to be relatively nice HRD''s, but they are probably of lower quality than an AGS-0.

Therefore, I am surprised about the small difference in price here.

Live long,

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your explanation, Paul. Who is HRD? I''ve been on Pricescope for quite a while and have not come across reference to HRD. What does it mean?

My inexpert opinion is that there is not enough information here to make a decision which is what Ringstar was seeking in his post.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HRD is the Antwerp lab, and the letters stand for Hoge Raad voor Diamant, or Diamond High Council.

The highest possible grade of this lab is Very Good, so any remarks about excellent or ideal are void.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results