shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiff setting too low?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I am starting to have setting regret.

I think it is set too low. I have the Superbcert Tiffany replica. Well, tonight, I was playing my violin at a church, and I was sitting next to a friend of mine who recently got engaged. she had this very graceful catherdral setting with some sidestones. Our diamonds are virtually the same carat weight. Mine looked 2 times as sparkly but hers looked huge. We both noticed it, and her setting is much higher.

Does anyone have a picture (sideview) of a classic fluted prong setting Tiffany 6 prong solitaire set a little higher? What do you guys think?

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
How big is your stone?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think higher set diamonds do look bigger.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could have been a spready stone too...

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
mine is .91 carat, hers was .95. it could have been spready too, but would that be really noticable? Mine is 6.33 mm, even if hers was 6.5, would we both see the difference?
Maybe it is the very small sidestones on hers, or that she has a smaller ring size *6* vs my *8*.
Anyway, I was impressed at how much more mine sparkled. But, I was upset it looked so subtle in the setting.
I was wondering if I could just get a different head to be put on it. How much does a new head usually cost?

39.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a Tiffany-style crown head and my stone is set higher. I''m not sure if it makes the stone look any bigger or not, but I''ve also heard that a higher setting gives that effect.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pink,

Taller mountings do tend to make a stone look larger, especially if your stone is fairly big to start with. The jeweler may be able to change out the setting portion of the ring for a different variety if you wish. There are quite a few options available for this part of the ring. Talk to Superbcert about doing this sort of change because modifying the ring may affect your trade in and warranty policies. It''s also sometimes possible to set the stone at different levels in the same type of mounting. Pictures of what you have and what you want would be helpful here.

There is a downside. If you have a lifestyle that involves wearing gloves, tall rings can be very frustrating. This is especially annoying to medical people and others who wear latex type gloves on a regular basis.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, let''s see some pics. I am about to have a similar sized stone set in the same band.

open culet

Rough_Rock
I love for stones to be set low. The closer the culet to the skin, the better I like it. This is an understated look, not trying to make anything look bigger.
Also low set rings are more comfortable and easy to wear in all situations. Your ring sounds great to me.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i like ''em tall.

one of the classisest rings i ever saw was in the texas medical center in houston. a doctor rode the bus every morning. she wore about a 20 pointer solitaire in the tallest setting i have ever seen. stunning. white white white. classy. 4 prongs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results