shape
carat
color
clarity

Three diamonds for feedback -- Thoughts appreciated!

Desj

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I've been doing some research and am close to picking a diamond to have an engagement ring made for my fiance-to-be. I've learned alot from these boards so first off, thanks to everyone, and thanks to the HCA Tool (I've included scores for each diamond below). Although I recognize there are downsides to EGL, I'm pretty much convinced on going with an EGL-USA diamond in order to get a bit more size, while balancing decent quality -- main thing for is getting a good value in the stone but good value also means my fiance-to-be liking it as well (and she does like size in the stone)!

I'm in Canada by the way but here are the three rocks I'm looking at, I'm wondering if I can get some feedback on what you think of them, and of the three which is the best VALUE in your views. Thanks to everyone in advance!

EGL- USA 1.50 CT
VS1, G, Ideal cut
Measurements 7.3 x 7.25 x 4.5 mm
Table 60%
Depth 61.9%
Crown Height 14.3%
Crown Angle 35°
Pavilion Depth 43%
Pavilion Angle 40.7°
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED
No Culet
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
HCA score of 2.1 (Very Good for each category)
Price = C$11,800 or roughly $11,100 US

EGL - USA 1.50 CT
VS1, G, Ideal cut
Measurements 7.5 x 7.33 x 4.45 mm
Table 60%
Depth 60%
Crown Height 14%
Crown Angle 35.5°
Pavilion Depth 41.8%
Pavilion Angle 40.2°
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
HCA score of 1.6 (Light Return = Very Good, Excellent for all others)
Price = C$12,800 or roughly $12,000 US

EGL - USA 1.53 CT
VS1, G, Ideal PLUS cut
Measurements 7.48 x 7.42 x 4.51 mm
Table 58%
Depth 60.5%
Crown Height 14.1%
Crown Angle 34°
Pavilion Depth 43.2%
Pavilion Angle 40.9°
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Culet NONE
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE
HCA score of 1.3 (Spread = Very Good, Excellent for all others)
Price = C$12,950 or roughly $12,150 US

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe 3. Can you get pictures?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are more likely to get your money's worth with GIA/AGS which are accurately graded because those stones are nowhere near G VS1. You are more likely to overpay for what you're buying with EGL since you really don't know the true specs.

For $12k or less, you can get these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-329354

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.56-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-223396

Basically you are getting about the same thing, but these have accurate grading whereas the EGL stones do not.

Desj

Rough_Rock
Thanks -- do you believe EGL USA grades more than 2 levels away from GIA equivalent? I thought the ones I picked should be quite good, I would expect EGL USA to up-grade colour by 1 grade while I would expect EGL Intl to go 2 grades or maybe 3 max. The HCA scores on the ones I picked are very good as well. Also keep in mind the diamonds you linked to are ~$1500 more for me to buy being in Canada so that's my challenge as well...

Desj

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1403919933|3702508 said:
Maybe 3. Can you get pictures?

I'll try to get pictures but not sure I can....any other feedback would be great! :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 doesn't have really great spread. Barely acceptable, especially with a 60% table. made to hit 1.50 cts

#2 has too shallow pavilion angle.

Desj

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1403922111|3702539 said:
#1 doesn't have really great spread. Barely acceptable, especially with a 60% table. made to hit 1.50 cts

#2 has too shallow pavilion angle.

Interesting that's very helpful, #3 has good numbers in your view?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers on #3 are the best of the lot. Next step is an Ideal-Scope or ASET. And an appointment with an independent appraiser to make sure it is not grossly off in grading.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Desj|1403921869|3702535 said:
Thanks -- do you believe EGL USA grades more than 2 levels away from GIA equivalent? I thought the ones I picked should be quite good, I would expect EGL USA to up-grade colour by 1 grade while I would expect EGL Intl to go 2 grades or maybe 3 max. The HCA scores on the ones I picked are very good as well. Also keep in mind the diamonds you linked to are ~$1500 more for me to buy being in Canada so that's my challenge as well...
Yup. I recently read one that was disturbingly distant. I think it was EGL H or I and GIA N. That's rough. You're not getting a better deal by going with an EGL one.

Remember, the stones are still the same stones. It's not like it's an EGL-made stone, it's just who graded it. Your money is better spent with GIA or AGS. :wavey:

Desj

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1403922529|3702544 said:
The numbers on #3 are the best of the lot. Next step is an Ideal-Scope or ASET. And an appointment with an independent appraiser to make sure it is not grossly off in grading.
That's a very good idea and worth the small cost to get done, thanks. What are your opinions of the fact these are EGL-USA graded, and their accompanying grades?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL Intl is truly worthless.

Does the vendor have a 100% refund policy within a timeframe that allows you to take it to an appraiser? Ask the vendor what he believes the strictest GIA grading on it will be, and that the sale is contingent upon the appraisal results.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results