shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
I realize its difficult to ascertain performance on the #'s alone but is there anything wrong with the #'s on this stone? Also if I want to buy a square looking stone is this one going to look too rectangular. Im comparing it to a 1.05 LW that she currently has and she thinks that it looks perfectly square so she's not too sensitive to the measurements being slightly off.

Stock number: LD00437307

Carat weight: 1.51

Cut: Very Good

Color: I

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 71.0%

Table %: 72%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Medium to thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.75x6.28x4.46 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.07

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noticed no one responded. I''m not as knowledgeable about princess cuts, but from what you''ve posted and asked, here are a couple of questions.

Is this stone from one of the vendors you''ve met on PS or a local jeweler?

It won''t look completely square because it''s dimensions won''t allow it, will this bother you/her?

You said on cut quality "very good." By who''s standards, GIA, AGS, HRD, EGL, IGI? It does make a difference.

With fancy cuts, numbers tell you something, but seeing the stone and seeing and IdealScope of the stone tells you more. Have they shown you an IdealScope image to see if there is much light leakage?

Again, I''m not expert, but these are things you should be considering.

Good Luck........

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
thanks for the response. I dont seem to get too many responses to my questions for some reason.....maybe just dumb questions
emcrook.gif
This listing is from Bluenile so the cut standards are their''s. It also happens to be a stone that my jeweler is looking to get for me. It is obviously a dealer listing and not owned by BN. Its GIA and I have not seen the stone in person yet. I decided that I will bring my Fiance with me to look at the stones he brings in. Her current diamond has a 1.05 ratio and she thinks it looks perfectly square so I thought I could get away with a 1.07. I kind of like it slightly rectangualr because to me it makes the stone look larger on the finger. I guess well see. Im not sure if he has a lightscope but I will find out.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
table shouldn't be more than depth. I think the best/easiest thing to do for princesses would be to get an idealscope or go by AGS-0

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Gosh no. There is no such thing as a dumb question. I think a lot of people here are like me. They either can help you or they can''t. I am more familiar with rounds, and I am out of my depth with princesses and most other shapes. It''s not that I (or others) are ignoring you, just not a lot of us feel comfortable offering advice. I''m sorry if you felt like no one cared.

shay

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hi there,

I amswered your other thread, which was kind of the same question......I do think its going to look rectangular, but if you and your gf like that look, then I say go for it!

I agree, table should be lower than the depth, but you cant know for sure how it sparkles until you see it.

Bman143

Rough_Rock
ssteigs

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_448ct_h_vs2_princess_ags-ideal.htm

I looked at the Blue Nile site with your diamond. I do not pretend to be an expert by any means, but I recently ordered a stone through GOG and think they are wonderful as far as customer service, and simply ease of purchase. This stone is very similar in price, color and clarity, and is an AGS ideal. I can personally speak to the beauty of VS2 AGS Ideals, and doubt you will be able to go wrong.

Hope this helps,
Brandon.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
First, there is a misconception about the table/depth ratio. While you have a BETTER chance of finding a great stone when the depth is greater than the table, it''s not necessarily the case. In fact, I think when you get to 70% tables you need a 70% (or greater) depth, so with a 72% table a 71% depth may be fine
1.gif
All you need to do to check on the cut is get the crown and pavilion numbers. We really can''t tell you about the quality of this stone without that information.

As for people not responding, there aren''t that many princess lovers on PS, and when we do respond to the numbers the experts tell us that you need to ignore us
9.gif
However, that doesn''t deter me and some of the other princess lovers because we fell you have to start somewhere!

In terms of shape, once a 1:1.05 ratio stone is set it will look pretty square (although I can tell my 1:1.03 ratio stone is not a perfect square). I don''t think it''s the same for a 1:1.07 ratio stone--it will look rectangular.

The other thing you have to be careful with is the internal symmetry of the stone (John Q has written some great posts on the importance of looking at the internal symmetry as well as the symmetry of the facets and the points where they meet (which is what the symmetry on grading reports refers to)). With rectangular princesses it can be pretty bad. Also, there tends to be more leakage in rectangular princess cuts. This is why you should really get an ASET image or Ideal Scope image. BUT, I have seen at least one exception on Whiteflash in their expert selection.

On a final note, AGS-0 stones is a good way to go. However, I would never reject GIA stones graded before this year as AGS did not use to grade princess cut stones.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, grasshopper! you are quite wise! :)

And that''s a beautiful stone! very nice symmetry indeed!

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your reply''s. I guess I wont know if its too rectangular or if its a nice stone until I see it. I showed my girlfriend the Shapeselector on Oldminer''s sight, plugged in the #''s and she thought the stone looked square so we may be ok. I am actually paying $1,000 less for the stone I asked about through my Jeweler/friend. He is actually selling it to me at cost as a favor.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Bman,

I took a look at the Good Old Gold stone. Unfortunalety I am trying to replace a stone that is 6.72 x 6.40mm. So that one would be too small. Its tough to find many stones with similar dimensions while staying in a budget and having good specs.
The fun continues!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results