shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Pearlman''s Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 8:28:42 PM
Author: Mara
Eespecially if the description on the site selling it does not say WHY it''s different from XYZ or give more information..then you will get misunderstandings from consumers. and i really feel like you don''t need to spend $1800 to get a very good quality piece.

blah blah blah handmade blah blah blah expensive!
2.gif

Mara, the price might certainly seem more reasonable if the description included more. but i''ve learned from this thread that i personally would want a ring such as bill described rather than the one described by mrssalvo. it is once again let the buyer beware....and read pricescope to learn what questions to ask before purchasing!
9.gif

pece, movie zombie

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Date: 10/7/2005 4:44:04 PM
Author: movie zombie
bill, thank you for the cost analysis. just goes to show that once again one gets what they pay for......quality stones and work plus american made.
that is one way to look at it, but from items i have seen, it''s very possible to get something that is also quality stones and work that is not $1800 for 0.29ctw. i also appreciate the cost analysis that bill gave, but that still seems expensive..just my thoughts...i know that he broke it all down but i still say..WOAH.

i agree that you don''t necessarily want to buy crap for $300 and sometimes you want a better piece, but when there is THAT much of a discrepancy between something machine made and/or hand made then people will comment on it. Eespecially if the description on the site selling it does not say WHY it''s different from XYZ or give more information..then you will get misunderstandings from consumers. and i really feel like you don''t need to spend $1800 to get a very good quality piece.

2.gif
Mara,

You have the most posts here and I commend you for that but did you not read the post? What is it that you do not understand?????????????????? Don''t pay for it if it is not your style. Don''t criticize if you if it is not what you want. Don''t criticize others for their take on what they want. What is the problem with you understanding that made in the USA is expensive from those that want it are bad people??????? What''s your problem or do you just want a fight???

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Bill, I just wanted to thank you for your candor in the cost analysis.
36.gif
It was very informative IMO.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
I agree totally, thanks Bill.
You always get what you pay for, if you dont want quality then that is your business. But jewelers like Pearlmans sell quality stuff and no its not cheap but that is because it is made well and mishaps like diamonds falling out wont happen, because it was made right in the first place.
Its hard to be a small business owner, and I think someone like Bill who sells good stuff should be applauded for what he sells.
To anyone who is going to say I work for him I dont, I live in NY, not Michagin.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/7/2005 9:51:16 PM
Author: pad3006
I agree totally, thanks Bill.
You always get what you pay for, if you dont want quality then that is your business. But jewelers like Pearlmans sell quality stuff and no its not cheap but that is because it is made well and mishaps like diamonds falling out wont happen, because it was made right in the first place.
Its hard to be a small business owner, and I think someone like Bill who sells good stuff should be applauded for what he sells.
To anyone who is going to say I work for him I dont, I live in NY, not Michagin.
Thanks Bud! Where''s Mara here???????????????????

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 9:26:12 PM
Author: mepearl53

Date: 10/7/2005 4:44:04 PM
Author: movie zombie
bill, thank you for the cost analysis. just goes to show that once again one gets what they pay for......quality stones and work plus american made.
that is one way to look at it, but from items i have seen, it's very possible to get something that is also quality stones and work that is not $1800 for 0.29ctw. i also appreciate the cost analysis that bill gave, but that still seems expensive..just my thoughts...i know that he broke it all down but i still say..WOAH.

i agree that you don't necessarily want to buy crap for $300 and sometimes you want a better piece, but when there is THAT much of a discrepancy between something machine made and/or hand made then people will comment on it. Eespecially if the description on the site selling it does not say WHY it's different from XYZ or give more information..then you will get misunderstandings from consumers. and i really feel like you don't need to spend $1800 to get a very good quality piece.

2.gif
Mara,

You have the most posts here and I commend you for that but did you not read the post? What is it that you do not understand?????????????????? Don't pay for it if it is not your style. Don't criticize if you if it is not what you want. Don't criticize others for their take on what they want. What is the problem with you understanding that made in the USA is expensive from those that want it are bad people??????? What's your problem or do you just want a fight???
WOW. First off let me just say that movie zombie's post was alot more professional than yours, and she is not even industry related. Tsk Tsk.

Here are the answers to your eloquently stated questions. By the way, I don't require 15+ question marks to understand that you are asking a question. Just as an FYI, yanno for the future.

I understand what you said, it was that quality costs and handmade blah blah etc costs too. Sure I get it. In my post I thought I was PRETTY CLEAR about that, but whatever. My point is that I was disagreeing with the implied notion that something that is less than $1800 for .29ctw is crap. I don't agree. That is the point of my post.

Made in the USA or not, where did I mention that? Oh that's right, I DIDN'T. So why are you bringing it up or saying that I said that people who want it are bad? Seriously, can we stay on topic?

I'm sorry if what I said irked you, Bill...but my point is still the same. I think that's an expensive price. No big deal, anyone who wants to buy it should and can. I'm sure it's a beautiful ring. But it's not my thing and I don't think that great quality HAS to cost $1800 for .29ctw to stick with the example at hand. You could also disagree alot more professionally than you did above. My two cents.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok chill out everyone.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I was disagreeing with the implied notion that something that is less than $1800 for .29ctw is crap.
WHAT implied notion that something less than $1800 is crap?

No one said or implied that. Gee, whiz!

Bill: Thank you so much for the information you provided...truly interesting and informative!

Obviously this is a case of "different strokes for different folks"....

I happen to be one of those "folks" who prefers to go the higher-end, hand-made route. This does NOT mean that I think anything other than high-end/hand-made is "crap".

widget

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Mara,

You just do''t get it! It has nothing to do with what the others have said. If you want sh%# buy it don''t tell the people here that you don''t care if a knock off is a knock is just that sh%# Don''t tell them otherwise!!!! What are you trying to say to these people????? It''s O.K To knock off others peoples work??? Get a life!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
awcrap

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 10:37:57 PM
Mara,

You just do''t get it! It has nothing to do with what the others have said. If you want sh%# buy it don''t tell the people here that you don''t care if a knock off is a knock is just that sh%# Don''t tell them otherwise!!!! What are you trying to say to these people????? It''s O.K To knock off others peoples work??? Get a life!!!
38.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok I think both of you need to CALM DOWN. Out of hand, both of you. Go to your corners and chill out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,

You just do't get it! It has nothing to do with what the others have said. If you want sh%# buy it don't tell the people here that you don't care if a knock off is a knock is just that sh%# Don't tell them otherwise!!!! What are you trying to say to these people????? It's O.K To knock off others peoples work??? Get a life!!!
That's alot of venom for a Friday night.
And yet again, who said A THING about knocking off people's work??
33.gif
So spending less on something else is just automatically knocking off someone's work? Or is it just not buying your items is wrong?

I obviously am not equipped for this debate/argument being of SOUND MIND, so I'll just bow out and go have a yummy dinner with my hubby.
9.gif
Have a fabulous nite, Bill.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inflammatory, rude, arrogant and obnoxious behavior will not be tolerated from anyone. Should anyone use inappropriate language, start a personal attack, or engage in hate speech, they will be banned from all further discussions.
I think there''s more than 1 folk guilty of this in this thread. These fights have GOT to stop.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think there is a little reading into of emotions here.

In reading Mara's comments after Bill noted the cost breakouts, I don't see her saying your explanation of costs was "out there" or suggesting it was an excuse. It seemed to me she was just pointing out that *she* personally still believed that $1800 for an eternity ring of that ctw was high. That's not a knock, I don't believe. Someone could explain to me precisely why caviar is so expensive, and it could be logical, but I would still personally consider it expensive.

I think Bill is reading "expensive" as "overcharging", and I don't think that was the true intent. I have to also say that alluding to "knockoffs" relative to this discussion has me stymied. We're talking about an eternity ring......I don't think that's an original design in either instance, so how does that come into play?

There's really room for everyone to have differing opinions......and there should be room to debate them freely and civilly. If moderating needs to occur, I'd personally prefer to see that direction come from the moderator. We are all adults here, and I don't think it's really appropriate for anyone other than the actual moderators to make such overtures. Just my humble opinion.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, here''s my take on it. Demelza asked about the eternity ring in question. She was asking about the price. For many posters it seemed on the high side. People were trying to offer other options as perhaps she didn''t want to spend that much. To me that''s what PS is all about, people helping other members to find what they are comfortable spending. Bill the ring is gorgeous, no question there and I''m sure the workmanship is exquisite and the stones are very high quality. No one questioned that. To Mara''s defense she never mentioned getting a knock off either. She was offering her own personal opinions and that is allowed here right??? Where this went wrong was, when you told her to get a life. You are a vendor and a great one, but saying such a thing to a consumer is wrong in my book. We have all learned about the kind of work that goes into making such a beautiful ring and can appreciate why the cost is what it is.
2.gif

So some can swing it and some can''t. That''s all it was about, OK???
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Personally I think the band you posted looks quite alot like the Ritani Endless Love bands, they ar .23 tcw and 1500$. Perhaps this would be more in line with what you are thinking. If you wanted something a bit larger I would figure out the width you were looking for and then e-mail the diffrent vendors with your requirments. Oh and I loved Snlee''s set as well, it really is a stunning classic!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hey, looky what I found! I saw this on Solomon Brothers. Anyone know much about Scott Kay quality?

ETA I know the price is still high. This is what I paid for my shared prong band from SP (1.14 cttw, slightly higher quality diamonds) and that ring is very well-made. All the diamonds are callibrated, there are no visible differences between the stones' in terms of diameter, and the tables match very well. The appraiser actually noted this. I know that prices have risen and my SP ring would be about $1,690 today. But should I really expect to pay that much more for a pave setting like this if I want it done right? Is prong setting that much easier? I know that Scott Kay will carry with it a designer price, but I really do want the pave done well so that I don't have problems with it.

Here are the details:

Description
Ladies 2.00mm Scott Kay Pave Diamond Eternity Band Diamond .52cttw
Metal
Platinum
Size
2 MM (W)
Diamond Wght
Color
G
Clarity
VS2
Price
$1,450.00
78611.JPG

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

It''s a shame that this discussion has sunk to this level. Pricescope is a forum where people should be allowed to speak freely about their opinions on diamonds and jewelry. I''m sure pricescope has brought you much business, Mr. Pearlman, but attacking people will make many of us think twice before doing business with you.

If I were in a store (jewelry or not) and I heard the owner talking to a customer like this...I would RUN, not walk out of there.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 9:26:12 PM
Mara,

You have the most posts here and I commend you for that but did you not read the post? What is it that you do not understand?????????????????? Don''t pay for it if it is not your style. Don''t criticize if you if it is not what you want. Don''t criticize others for their take on what they want. What is the problem with you understanding that made in the USA is expensive from those that want it are bad people??????? What''s your problem or do you just want a fight???
bill, i don''t think Mara wants to fight but is sticking to her opinion [which she is entitled to] that she thinks the .29''er is ''over priced''. i don''t nor do others. however, Mara is a very astute shopper and diamond buyer. i don''t doubt that she would shop around until she found something satisfactory for less. now that something satisfactory might be a ring that isn''t as high a quality of yours, but i''m sure it would more than do for many people.

and there is handcrafted and then there is handcrafted. some do it better than others. once again it is all in the eye of the beholder...and how much $$$ that beholder is willing to part with in order to obtain their vision.

and i didn''t feel like Mara was downing people who want made in the USA --handcrafted or otherwise. yeah, she''s upfront and in your face with her opinion but then many of us here are the same way...myself included.

and its not like i think Mara needs defending...the gods know she can more than do that herself! however, i just wanted to say the above because i can see the temperature rising in this thread.

again, this has been a very informative thread and i appreciate the honesty about pricing. i had no idea. and i still love the ring!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eespecially if the description on the site selling it does not say WHY it's different from XYZ or give more information..then you will get misunderstandings from consumers. and i really feel like you don't need to spend $1800 to get a very good quality piece.

II happen to agree both with you (that there is 'good quality' from different manufacturing methods and at different price points) and Bill (that high quality and high cost usually match).

Perhaps handmade pave is also made with low cost labor in some God forgotten country (e.g. this one). Sadly, there are not as good incentives to think of quality when the manufacturing process also gives the choice of high volume & low unit cost. Otherwise, there is no technical reason why the little diamonds in cast bands would not be matched or these cheaper settings would not be available with top grade diamonds etc. If examples of such merchandise are out there, than I suppose those would be good examples in favor of Mara's claim that lower cost and better quality can go together.

It doesn't help that such a vast range of products (& prices) are all described by diamond weight and the lonely word 'pave'. IMO, that's where the problem has begun in the first place. Let's say there are no pictures, and the reputation of the shop plays no part (or is unknown): than all is left to look at is '.3cts pave eternity band' either $500 or $2000! Ouch!

14.gif
Doesn't it sound foolish? Of course, almost always there is more to the message - a picture and the name of the shop. For better or worse, even famous brands give away two words about why they are better. And once prices and 'value' is discussed those feeble arguments become of interest... but then, there is not much to talk about! There is no H&A equivalent for jewelry workmanship around here. Without matching reference, perfect pictures at 30X do not tell more than then no picture at all. The only reference I found online is what I posted earlier on this thread and I can't say I found it very helpful.

Bill, I surely hope this post does not make things worse. You are in the right position to know if this chatter about quality, technicals and pricing has any consequence or meaning. All I know about pave after all comes from seeing a few pieces being made at my jeweler's shop and looking over some amount of both estate and modern jewelry made this way, which I surely admit it is very little.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oi!! What happenned to this thread??? Ok, everyone take a deep breath...

Like someone said, I think the original intention of this thread was to help Dem out and suggest different options. I think there were a lot of misunderstandings on both ends. Ok, eveyone just kiss and make up now!!!
emotion-5.gif

Dem, I really like the Scott Kay band. A little more reachable in price. Do you think that is the one you may end up going with?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread does not reflect well on us.
This forum is about helping people, sharing with one another and yes having a little fun.
The lack of respect for the forum, the forum owners and each other has to stop.

Mr. Pearlman as a vendor whom the owners here have welcomed with open arms and done a lot for I find your posts in this thread appalling.

I find some of the posts by my fellow consumers equally bad.
I think a lot of people need to take a step back, get there head on strait then get back to doing what we do best and that is helping people find the diamonds of their dreams.
I had to do the same having got caught up in some stuff here so I understand.

Leonid and Irina are some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of talking to on line they do not deserve the treatment they have been getting.
They work hard for us and have earned respect and they should get it.
Either show them respect, respect their board and each other or leave.

Harsh words but its whats on my heart this morning.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Storm, you of all people replying in this way amazes me. You have sliced brands to the bone and sided with others about diamond brands. Why should you say that I am inciting descent here when I am speaking my opinion. This is not wrong to voice my opinion that people who buy brands are o.k. with there decision. To infer that I insult this form and L & M is insulting to me. There are many people who look at this forum that I think are insulted in the way that SOME people treat what they have purchased as a bad decision. To insinuate that B&M''s Maul stores, wallets on fire are a stupid purchase is just plain insulting and these people who wish to do business this way are as such. For some to dominate with there opinions on what is the correct way and the rip off way is unfair to the consumer and I believe this is the intent of this forum. This forum is to learn the whys and understand the process of how to intelligently go about understanding the purchase.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I want to chime in to say that Pave, done correctly, is extremely labor intensive. One isn''t buying .29 of diamonds. One is buying an aesthetic.

Whether 1800 is high or not, that''s up to the person buying. But, pave is tricky to do right & look rich.

At the end of the day, the price is the price. You take it or you leave it. I''ve been on both the take & the leave it side. And, sometimes you may think you are overpaying - but in the long run - it''s worth it. Or maybe I''m trying to justify my ridiculously expensive boot purchase. ;-)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
One member makes an insensitive comment (like "blah blah custom work") that hurts another person''s feelings and provokes backfire ("knock-offs", "get a life" ''s#%&'', etc).

No-one is right - both are wrong because such personal arguments stink up our party (i.e. degrades the quality of the environment and hurts your own image)

Freedom of expression is not applied here. Either you can be pleasant and charming at our party or else. Wanna have fun with us, think before posting.

We feel bored over repeating all this stuff over again and are not going to dissect each case, who started first, and who is more wrong. We''re just going to close threads that turned negative and will deactivate members diagnosed with Rules Understanding Deficit Disorder (further referred as RUDD people).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bill,

Maybe I should take this to PM (Mara will tell me if I should). I think Storm was being a bit harsh to you. Vendors, although they are professionals, have a right to be passionate, too.

On the other hand, be it fair or not, most readers of Pricescope are consumers and most come here expecting to find the jewelry vendors acting as if they were standing behind their counters in nice clothing, speaking in well-modulated tones.

I know you take your work VERY seriously. I have been the beneficiary of your caring.

On the other hand (there's always another hand), Mara is a consumer, an astute consumer, and she was really only giving her own opinion. Your cost breakdown was very helpful, and consumers can use it to make up their own minds. It is more grist for the mill. But why do you have to change Mara? She shops in the way she wishes to and advises others here in an effort to impart her insights into shopping for gems and jewelry.

You would make a better impression (fair or not) if you were more moderate and less passionate in this discussion.

And to anyone who comes to me I would say: I have done business with Bill Pearlman. He cares passionately about what he sells. He is very professional as a vendor.

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2005 11:36:45 AM
Author: Pricescope
One member makes an insensitive comment (like ''blah blah custom work'') that hurts another person''s feelings and provokes backfire (''knock-offs'', ''get a life'' ''s#%&'', etc).

No-one is right - both are wrong because such personal arguments stink up our party (i.e. degrades the quality of the environment and hurts your own image)

Freedom of expression is not applied here. Either you can be pleasant and charming at our party or else. Wanna have fun with us, think before posting.

We feel bored over repeating all this stuff over again and are not going to dissect each case, who started first, and who is more wrong. We''re just going to close threads that turned negative and will deactivate members diagnosed with Rules Understanding Deficit Disorder (further referred as RUDD people).

Whoops! I was writing as this was being posted. No need for my posting above, I guess! This cut through the other issues to the crux of the matter!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results