shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this GCAL 8x

mdessouki

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance. GCAL Report

Edit: I ran it through the HCAtool and it was rated 1.1.

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
My biggest worry about this diamond is the striation clearly present in the material. I know there tends to be differing opinions on how much this impacts the optics/if you need a pro to vet out the effect for you. Perhaps it'd be a negligible effect in this case, perhaps not.

Apart from that looks like a nice rock!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest worry about this diamond is the striation clearly present in the material. I know there tends to be differing opinions on how much this impacts the optics/if you need a pro to vet out the effect for you. Perhaps it'd be a negligible effect in this case, perhaps not.

Apart from that looks like a nice rock!

I agree that the material could be better.

mdessouki

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. The stone was less than half the price of any other 8x stones with similar attributes so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

When it comes I’ll post a comparison video with a 1.5ct AGS 0.

mdessouki

Rough_Rock
Diamond came and it’s far from a dud, but the fire seems less chunky (maybe muted is the right word) compared to my wife’s AGS stone (has the additional light performance grading and is rated a 0).

The wife doesn’t mind the more splintery fire and appreciates how it doesn’t go dark in certain circumstances. I’m happy as I can’t turn down a good deal and it was <$1k.

Will post a comparison video once we have it mounted. Below are the specs of the stone I’ve been comparing it to.

1713497982080.png

1713498057675.png

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Diamond came and it’s far from a dud, but the fire seems less chunky (maybe muted is the right word) compared to my wife’s AGS stone (has the additional light performance grading and is rated a 0).

The wife doesn’t mind the more splintery fire and appreciates how it doesn’t go dark in certain circumstances. I’m happy as I can’t turn down a good deal and it was <$1k.

Will post a comparison video once we have it mounted. Below are the specs of the stone I’ve been comparing it to.

1713497982080.png

1713498057675.png

Does the LGD take on a bit of a hazy, cloudy, blurry, or subdued appearance in certain lighting conditions?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
A 2.73ct for <$1k??? You scored!

Of course, you still want an excellent stone, but good deals make everything better in my mind. I once bought a car I didn’t really like bc it was such a great deal so I’m not the best voice in the room at the moment lol!

(Took it back 2 weeks later so all those “savings” went down the drain haha)

Can’t wait for the photos!

mdessouki

Rough_Rock
Does this stone look any better as it relates to the issue you are referring to?

Not sure if it matters to the human eye, but the scintillation map has way more activity….

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Does this stone look any better as it relates to the issue you are referring to?

Not sure if it matters to the human eye, but the scintillation map has way more activity….

I’m still seeing some striation. From my understanding most CVD diamonds will have it to some degree. HPHT won’t have any, but may have some color issues you have to be aware of. Doesn’t mean you have to go HPHT, many CVD diamonds are great!

The cut on this one isn’t nearly as good as the one you originally posted imho. The arrows are really skinny and the hearts image is far from the original diamond, which looked to have quite good symmetry.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

In my opinion, I think this is an 8X that should have missed the 8X mark. The cut precision seems a little lacking.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
From my understanding most CVD diamonds will have it to some degree. HPHT won’t have any …

HPHT can also show strain and graining. Here’s another thread where @Garry H (Cut Nut) explains a bit more.

@Texas Leaguer also explains that strain and grain can happen in mined diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results