shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

v1023

Rough_Rock
Comments are greatly appreciated. Diamond is priced @ $12910.00- AGS cert. Is this a good price?

Carat weight: 1.85

Cut: Ideal

Color: H

Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 61.8%

Table %: 56%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted

Culet: Pointed

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 7.81x7.87x4.85 mm

Crown Angle: 34.1

Pavillion Angle: 40.7

Crown Depth: 14.8

Pavillion Depth: 42.9

Cut Grade is AGS Ideal.

chantheman

Rough_Rock
The specs look great.

If you have not already seen the diamond, make sure it is an eye clean SI1. Stones of this clarity represent a great value.

Along with the numbers, make sure you look at the diamond in a variety of lighting conditions.

You are very fortunate to have found a great sub 2.00 carat stone. Those can tend to be very hard to find.

I am sure additional posters will give you additional insight, but from where I am sitting the numbers look spot on.

If you use the PS search function on the homepage, you can get an idea of how hard to find stones like yours are. You will also be able to ascertain current market pricing among vendors listing with PS.

v1023

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback!! I have not yet seen the diamond in person. I found it on the net so if I buy it, will have 30 days to return. Seems to be a good size stone, have all the right specs, and right on with my budget. I will definitely examine to make sure it is eye clean. From the certificate, the inclusions look like feathers that to the sides of the stone. This is a good thing, right? Since it is not smack in the middle of the table?

chantheman

Rough_Rock
It does tend to be a good thing if the inclusions do not occur directly under the table.

Inclusions hidden under facets other than the table are often more easily disguised.

While I am no expert on diamond durability issues, I do recall threads in the past regarding feathers breaking the surface of the stone. When I was searching for the stone I purchased for my fiance's ring I attempted to avoid stones that had inclusions breaking the surface.

a">

In this thread Val, a PS regular, discusses the issue of inclusions breaking the surface of a stone.

Hope this helps.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Here is the cert so someone can help answer your inclusion question.

agscert185hsi.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-regents-need-opinions.15385/
Citation...
12.gif
Yay!

It is not deserved though. The comments were about a particular SI2 piece with an impressive feather on the girdle. Surface breaking inclusions have a bad name, and it feels strange to run the nail tip over them. But it doesn't seem reasonable to consider all of them a durability issue. If the pointy corners or marqs and princess cuts have not been banned yet... why not consider a perfectly beautiful stone with a pinpoint size ding somewhere hidden from view.
33.gif

Speaking of options, there are two - not quite the same price though.

2.03 cts, 8mm, H Si1 AGS0, 16k at DCD

and

1.79 cts, 7.7mm, G VS2 15.7k (this is listed by more sellers, got the DCD listing to keep up with the other)

It may be that the attractive price for SI1 means the stone has some less discrete inclusions. So the VS2 cited above may come handy. There are no reports online for either, unfortunately.

(edited to add, after the report was posted) I really cannot see much on it... aside several small feathers near the girdle here and there. No external characteristic (possible nicks next to the feathers, green mark on cert) shows... and it may well be that all those feathers are totally contained in the stone. Even if not, they are minute - several would go under the tip of one prong (not that you'd want to, just for size refference).

Just my 2 cents worth, as usual
1.gif

v1023

Rough_Rock
Thanks Cat - great idea for posting the cert. Okay.. so all this talk about inclusions has gotten me a little concerned. I came across this diamond.. any thoughts? I''ve also attached the cert.

Stock number: LD00124660

Carat weight: 1.75

Cut: Ideal

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 62.3%

Table %: 55%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Negligible

Measurements: 7.68x7.72x4.80 mm

AGS5777209.jpg

v1023

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/3/2005 6:44:14 PM
Author: valeria101

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-regents-need-opinions.15385/
Citation...
12.gif
Yay!

It is not deserved though. The comments were about a particular SI2 piece with an impressive feather on the girdle. Surface breaking inclusions have a bad name, and it feels strange to run the nail tip over them. But it doesn''t seem reasonable to consider all of them a durability issue. If the pointy corners or marqs and princess cuts have not been banned yet... why not consider a perfectly beautiful stone with a pinpoint size ding somewhere hidden from view.
33.gif

Is there a copy of the lab report with clarity plot available ? Sometimes it helps.

Speaking of options, there are two - not quite the same price though.

2.03 cts, 8mm, H Si1 AGS0, 16k at DCD

and

1.79 cts, 7.7mm, G VS2 15.7k (this is listed by more sellers, got the DCD listing to keep up with the other)

It may be that the attractive price for SI1 means the stone has some less discrete inclusions. So the VS2 cited above may come handy. There are no reports online for either, unfortunately.
Val- thanks for your input on the inclusions. Also- great diamonds you suggested. Unfortunately, just slightly out of my price range.
8.gif

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Val,

I am not sure if you can see it on your monitor, mine is hi-res, but the GIA plots show numerous girdle located feathers.

While individual inclusions breaking the surface don't necessrily cause durability issues, do multiples, if they break the surface, provide reason for concern?

Do many small feathers equal a more impressive feather as in the regent referenced in the post?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2005 6:54:54 PM
Author: chantheman

I am not sure if you can see it on your monitor, mine is hi-res, but the GIA plots show numerous girdle located feathers.

While individual inclusions breaking the surface don't necessrily cause durability issues, do multiples, if they break the surface, provide reason for concern?

Do many small feathers equal a more impressive feathers as in the regent referenced in the post?

No idea. This is a question for a cutter or one of the appraisers around here
31.gif

The plot of a bearded girdle (one with many small cracks resulting from brutal finish) would show many more of those and still not be considered a durability issue. Those happen on older stones with somewhat thick girdles. This diamond has it "medium - slightly thick". That part sounds safe to me.

Size, price, clean-ness and what not seem to make the particular stone good enough to consider, IMO at least.
2.gif

There's hardly anything with the right size&price and specs - sure you know that already... perhaps a GIA graded stone with ideal proportions would fit in, but there isn't much to look at. Aside one I/SI1 (link) with impressive 'scope but no clarity revealing photo. The inclusions seem minute on the cert.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you should take the 1.85 H SI1 and run with it.

The specs look great (0.9 on the HCA, AGS0), and the price looks even greater. Yes, it's an SI1, and there is a slight chance that the inclusion will be noticeable, but not "what is that big black thing in my diamond?" noticeable? Maybe "Ya know, when I tilt my head just so and stare at this spot I see something" noticeable. Good sleuthing!

All this talk about SI1's sometimes being problematic is true, but that doesn't mean that you should move on without looking into this stone. I mean, you were planning on contacting the vendor before sending them $12k, right? So at least look into it.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
v1023, the 1.75 H VS2 you posted looks nice too. However, don''t get scared off by the inclusions in the SI1 stone yet. I''d wait a little longer and see if more people post thoughts about the inclusions -- I''d rather have the larger SI1 diamond if the inclusions are OK, than pay almost the same price for a smaller VS2.

But bottom line, both diamonds you selected are very nice.

Also, whichever diamond you select, you''ll want to consider getting an independent appraisal (esp. when you''re dropping that much money on the diamond). A good appraiser can tell you if the inclusions are worrisome or not. Just make sure you set up the appraisal so that you can still return the diamond within 30 days if the appraisal doesn''t go well.

v1023

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the feedback! Everyone has been extremely helpful!! Okay, since I am new at this... I must ask... where do I go from here?

Between the two diamonds posted, I am leaning towards the SI1 diamond. Since this is from an internet vendor, what do I do now? I have run the specs to see if other internet vendors are offering the same diamond for a lower price, but none of them are.

1)When I contact the vendor, what questions should I be asking?
2)Should I ask them to send me a hard copy of the certificate so I can see the markings more clearly (inclusions)?
3)If/when I decide to purchase the diamond.. besides having it appraised within my 30 day return period.... what else should I do?
4)Are there any other reports I should look at or anything I should do before I decide to purchase it?

Thanks!

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Here are a couple of things you can do if you want to be more thorough:

Call the vendor and ask them whether the diamond is eye-clean or not. It sure looks like it from the cert, but it doesn''t hurt to ask.

I doubt they will send you the actual cert, but maybe you can ask them to fax the cert to you. However, did you already zoom in on the online cert? You can really see the inclusions clearly if you zoom in.

Ask the vendor for a Sarin report. This report will provide you with additional numbers on the diamond. You can post the Sarin results here so we can make sure it jives with the AGS cert.

Also, see if the vendor will put your diamond "on hold" so someone doesn''t swoop in and buy it before you make a final decision.

I am crossing my fingers that the 1.85 diamond works out for you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go with the 1.85 H SI. I adore SI if it is eye clean, it''s a great value.

What a great find as well! Good luck.

v1023

Rough_Rock

Hello again! Okay.. so I emailed the vendor and asked them if they could email me the sairin report. Also, I asked if they could evaluate the diamond to see if it is an "eye clean" SI1. The diamond is currently on hold for me.

Here is what they got back to me:

Re: Saifin: "As this diamond''s crown and pavilion measurements were done by the AGSL when they graded the diamond, we do not have access to the original report. These measurements are listed on the diamond''s grading report however. You can see them by clicking on the link labeled "Grading Report" under the sample photo of the diamond and then clicking on the "Zoom In" button on the pop-up window. The crown and pavilion angles measurements will be listed on the diagram of the diamond in the upper right-hand corner of the report."

Re: Visual Inspection: "This diamond is indeed "eye-clean" - none of the inclusions are visible to the naked eye.The report also indicated there was some cleavage on the girdle of the diamond. Cleavage is a tiny, straight crack along a plane of weakness inside the diamond. In extreme cases, when the cleavage extends to one or more surfaces of a diamond it could potentially compromise the diamond''s integrity. The cleavage on this diamond is impossible to see with the naked eye, and may be hard to find under 10X magnification. For any diamond we list with a cleavage, it is insignificant and does not visibly affect the brilliance or compromise diamond integrity."

Any thoughts or comments?? I am feeling pretty good about this diamond, but am a little concerned about cleavage on the girdle.. Is this truly insignificant?

Any other steps I should take before making a final final final decision to purchase this diamond? Wow.. I just started looking. Wasn''t expecting to find such a perfect stone so quickly.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
saifin?
33.gif

do you have a link to the stone?

v1023

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/4/2005 5:33:30 PM
Author: belle
saifin?
33.gif

do you have a link to the stone?
Sorry. Saifin is typo.. meant to type sairin.

No link to sone as it was taken offline to hold for me. The certificate was posted previously.. please scroll up to see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results