shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on this diamond and my philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thclevel

Rough_Rock
Here is the diamond I am thinking about for an angagement ring. I would propose with the stone alone so that it could be a surprise and we could work together to pick the setting. Here is the diamond, it is from whiteflash: https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2051779.htm

I would like something .75 to 1 carat and I would like to spend $2,000 or so on the stone. My thinking from my limited research was to go with a color I and SI2 clarity to get the most for my money as these are the values where the naked eyes see very little difference from much higher quality diamonds. And to go with an Ideal cut with at least very good symmetry and polish.

What do you think? Can I lower one one of these qualities in order to get a little more size for price? Am I going to really notice any quality losses at I/SI2 in normal wear?

Thank you for any help!

Item Code: 8452779
Price: $1,776.00
Report: EGL
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.78
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 59
Table: 55
Girdle: TN
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.02-6.08X3.57

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You would need to have WF call that diamond in and check it over before deciding.
There isnt enough info there to decide.
The first quation that comes to mind is if the cert is egl-usa or other egl.
If its not egl-usa i wouldnt even bother calling it in.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Storm. You need more information, i.e. crown and pavilion angles, IdealScope image, is it EGL-USA, etc.

As for the I/SI2, I think that would be an excellent combination to maximize your budget. As long as the SI2 is eye-clean (which Whiteflash can tell you if they call in the diamond and check it out for you), it would be a great deal. You are not going to notice any quality losses with an I/SI2 with a very well-cut diamond. You could even go down to J color, and it would still face up very white if it''s well-cut.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
My! Aren''t you a VERY SAVVY newbie!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Ditto what Kim said above. My advice would be yes, certainly consider J stones. Have you checked out the "J stones in Platinum" thread in the SMTR forum? Those stones are KILLERS!

I, J (and even K) stones will really help you maximize you budget. And I am all for SI2s, as well. Carefully chosen, they represent an excellent diamond value! (I have an AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 that is totally eye-clean and stunning!)

Don''t compromise on cut -- and you will not be sorry! HAVE FUN!

Lynn

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
You might consider setting it in a $100 simple white gold setting. I like the idea of choosing the setting together, but this way she can wear the ring and show it off and you won''t be in a hurry to buy the real one.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2005 2:54:05 PM
Author: strmrdr

The first quation that comes to mind is if the cert is egl-usa or other egl.
If its not egl-usa i wouldnt even bother calling it in.
Ditto what strm said.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results