shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 5.52 Asscher?

moorejas

Rough_Rock
Brand new here so thank you for your comments. Looking at this 5.52 Asscher for an engagement solitaire. VS1, G, 9.92 X 9.68 X 6.33 mm, 65.4% depth, 69.5% table.

Video 1 Video 2 Video 3

I am waiting on the ASET. It looks to be a very nice stone, and I was perhaps only expecting a little more contrast in the patterns. Wondering if that's valid or the lighting... It's priced well, so would welcome thoughts.

Many thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan (to be honest), because it looks somewhat lifeless to me. Not enough scintilation /contrast in the steps. It mostly just looks "glassy" and doesnt have the fire I would want if it were me

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @lovedogs . The stone you posted almost looks glassine.

Here's an example of a lively beauty that @ksluice just had set (not an asscher but close)

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I'd be interested to see the ASET - in the first two videos I don't see much contrast, but the third video is nice. Step cuts are so hard to vet from video and photos, too. Can you see it in person, or does the seller have a good return policy? It might be worth getting someone to help you source a diamond like this given the size. I've heard Jonathan @Rhino is great at evaluating step cuts (and I bet at sourcing them too!)

moorejas

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the assistance -- very much appreciated.

ASETs linked here, plus other videos / photo and this stone is the bottom one in all. (the top one is also available FYI.)

ASET 1 ASET 2 Video 4 Video 5 Photo 1

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for the assistance -- very much appreciated.

ASETs linked here, plus other videos / photo and this stone is the bottom one in all. (the top one is also available FYI.)

ASET 1 ASET 2 Video 4 Video 5 Photo 1

I’ll leave it to the experts but I feel like the top one looks less glassy?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
in terms of color and clarity, it’s gorgeous. Would your vendor be able to get 3 asschers so you can compare (probably hard to find them at this size)?

what is the return policy?

the windmills are a bit thin and the table is large.
when will you be able to see it in person?

it’s hard to tell in these videos because we like to see them in all lighting and moving around, so the videos aren’t enough IMO to tell.

you really have to see an asscher in person

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but it has a gigantic table. I think an essential part of the beauty of an asscher is the upper part above the girdle...crown height and smaller table. I don't think I'd buy any diamond that has an almost 70% table. For a modern asscher, I might go from 60-65% for a table. My antique asscher has a 51% table!

In a stone of that size and price range, I would absolutely not settle for a stone that is not well cut.

IMG_0094 (Edited).jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but it has a gigantic table. I think an essential part of the beauty of an asscher is the upper part above the girdle...crown height and smaller table. I don't think I'd buy any diamond that has an almost 70% table. For a modern asscher, I might go from 60-65% for a table. My antique asscher has a 51% table!

In a stone of that size and price range, I would absolutely not settle for a stone that is not well cut.

IMG_0094 (Edited).jpg

I completely agree. I just don't care for the stone posted by the OP because the table is large and it seems somewhat "lifeless" in terms of fire.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
reasonably bright but on the its just there side rather than dynamic and lively.
not a fan of the other one either, same reason

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The diamond is described as "glassy" but maybe that appeals to you? As whitewave said, the color and clarity are gorgeous. It's possible that you could compare that Asscher and one with the cut qualities endorsed by this forum, and still prefer the one you're showing us. And you would not be wrong. Asschers write their own rules,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results