shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on purchasing preloved/preowned diamonds

Preloved/Preowned: To buy or not to buy?

• Total voters

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
What are everyone's thoughts on buying preloved/preowned diamond jewelry (whether it's rings/etc)

Be honest. I won't be offended. Also, if the topic has been posted previously, please merge or delete...

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
What are everyone's thoughts on buying preloved/preowned diamond jewelry (whether it's rings/etc)

Be honest. I won't be offended. Also, if the topic has been posted previously, please merge or delete...

Fine by me. Diamonds are millions of years old. Both of my engagement rings came from pawn shops. Got upgrades later, but have never bought new.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Doesn't make a difference to me. Actually, probably prefer preloved a little more than new because it's cheaper... if the diamond is in good condition, I'd never turn down a bargain. :lol:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love antique/vintage pieces -- but we have almost nothing with diamond in the mix. Is there something unique about diamond that you are referring to -- in contrast to other gems? (Like e-ring? That might be a tiny bit different but I am not sure why.)

Oh, and clarity-enhancement for diamond is a dealbreaker for most people (and is very different than for emerald, say).

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Random question: when buying preloved/preowned: the description “clarity enhanced” is a red flag right?

I think it is. Means the diamond underwent a "non-standard" (could be mistaken) treatment...

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I almost only buy preloved. Yes, red flag for most.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be honest. I won't be offended.

I find this an odd comment. Why would we not be honest and why the need to state you would not take offense to our answers when it has no affect on you? Am I missing something?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd never buy a clarity enhanced diamond. And I have no issue buying pre-owned so long as I either know the seller, or there is a decent return policy and I have long enough time to have the stone examined by my dependable jeweler. And I agree with @tyty333 your comment is confusing. Are you trying to figure out if you can sell clarity enhanced diamonds that you own, so they are pre-loved? If so, then please, just ask that as a straight forward question.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find this an odd comment. Why would we not be honest and why the need to state you would not take offense to our answers when it has no affect on you? Am I missing something?

I don’t mean to speak for OP, but I can tell you that I have some friends who have been offended when I suggest the preowned route! I think here on PS, we are a different breed, but most newbies have preconceived notions about what jewelry should be. A good friend of mine was embarrassed to propose with a diamond from an online vendor bc he knew his fiancé’s family really valued Jared’s and that would be the first question they would ask her! Where did he get it? At Jared’s? Not even making this up!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Is there any rule that vendors have to tell you something is pre-loved?

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most of my pieces are pre-loved. I love a bargain and I love vintage pieces. I prefer the way old cuts look and the craftsmanship of the jewelry was outstanding back in the day. There's no shame in my pre-loved game and that includes clothes, furnishings and electronics.

I was like a lot of people prior to PS and only bought "new" diamonds/jewelry. (I had a LOT less back then)

I would not buy a clarity enhanced diamond. Some of the enhancements aren't permanent and can interfere with the structural integrity of the diamond. (or at least that's what I remember) They're also hard to re-sell. I also have a "mind clean" issue. I'd rather have an inclusion and know it's there than to wonder what the heck was there.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Well I'm an antique nut so I've no qualms about purchasing preowned diamonds (or any other jewellery for that matter), as long as it's from a trusted source and certification or guarantees are provided where the value is higher.

Also many "new" diamonds on the retail market are ones that had been traded in or recut from old or damaged stones, so unless you are following a diamond's journey from it's excavation as a rough all the way to its cutting and subsequent distribution, it's impossible to know how long a cut diamond has been around in its current form or if it has been owned by someone else.

But I do understand how it can be less hassle and more "mind-clean" for some to purchase from a retail vendor that presents their diamonds as brand new products, since the vendor does indeed do the job of quality control and repackaging the stones.

Clarity enhanced diamonds are a big no for me, however, whether "new" or "old". My biggest concern would be the longevity of any potential filling as part of the enhancement. There was a recent thread by a PSer about having to get her large clarity enhanced diamond re-treated (refilled, I think?), which I can't seem to find right now but illustrates well why clarity enhancements in a diamond are undesirable. So yes, that would be a red flag. Are you considering one?

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I don’t mean to speak for OP, but I can tell you that I have some friends who have been offended when I suggest the preowned route! I think here on PS, we are a different breed, but most newbies have preconceived notions about what jewelry should be. A good friend of mine was embarrassed to propose with a diamond from an online vendor bc he knew his fiancé’s family really valued Jared’s and that would be the first question they would ask her! Where did he get it? At Jared’s? Not even making this up!

THIS is exactly what I was trying to convey! I have a few preloved pieces as well and that's why I meant no offenses. Hope this makes sense :D

P

Petalouda

For all I know, the diamond on my Tiffany and the diamond on my recently-sold Canera could of been preowned and sold to me under the assumption of “new”. I know people use the Tiffany upgrade option so
I always assume they take the diamond and just build a new setting for it. My Canera diamond had a GIA certification from 2017 ( we bought the diamond in Fall 2020) and a more recent AGS one. Probably was preloved.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Random question: when buying preloved/preowned: the description “clarity enhanced” is a red flag right?

Yes..Definitely do not buy clarity enhanced diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results