shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on GIA this Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chef

Rough_Rock
Carat 0.82
Cut Princess
Color G
Clarity VS1
Report GIA
Cut Quality Excellent
Price: $2,962.00
Measurements 5.07*4.98*3.68
Depth 73.9
Table 72
Girdle stk-tk f
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence None

I''''ve trolled around here for about a month or so. Great community and seems to be the right place to get all the answers. The setting, Cross Cathedral.... Nothing to high, so she says. So your thoughts please!
Thanks
Chef

Chef

Rough_Rock
I''m going to try.
I have a guy down here in San Diego that''s going to look at it when it comes.
I''ve told him the spec''s and he''s said nothing but good things about it so far.
It should be here by Friday. Had I hope to get some more info from my appraiser.
Another Question: Do you think the price is right. If it is what says and all?
Thanks
Chef

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The deep cut and thick girdle do make this smaller (5.5mm square sounds better than 5 and shows a bit, 5mm ~ 0.7 cts IMO) but those larger ones come quite a bit more expensive too... no winning.

If this turns out to have great optics (second Garry''s post asking for the Iscope), this is it, IMO.

Chef

Rough_Rock
mods: Thanks for moving it. Sorry about that!
With the deep cut am I going to lose some sparkle. I have read that it can be lost.
And with that, should I be worried about finding a lower setting for this stone. As stated above she likes the CC setting. I know its some what lower than a u-prong, but I haven't seen anything else that suits her fancy.
Thanks for the replies
-Chef

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2005 9:579 PM
Author: Chef

With the deep cut am I going to lose some sparkle.

And with that, should I be worried about finding a lower setting for this stone.
Hm... 74% isn''t that deep. And the girdle is a couple of % out of there (it''s thick). I am affraid that the usual trio of images showing too shallow & nice & too deep cuts miss much of the story about brilliance.

What about the low setting ? Those are more confortable, I know... but what does that have to do with the rest? Is there a particular source of related advice ? Not quite sure what this is aboout.

The U prong setting sounds like Whiteflash but what does "CC setting" mean ? I am lost.
23.gif
Sorry
33.gif

Pretty sad, I know. Too bad there isn''t some standard for princess cuts as there is for round brilliant ideal. I know AGS is preparing one, and they only managed to cut down the list of crucial specs to about a dozen aside what lab reports give now. I wouldn''t guess the looks of a princess cut based on any less.

Chef

Rough_Rock
Cross Cathedral Setting
I was more worried about the stone riding to high.
She stressed that she doesn''t want it to raise as much as some other settings.
She not a fan of big stones on her fingers.. Maybe cause she''s a little one herself :razz:

Thanks Val
-Chef

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2005 10:38:14 PM
Author: Chef

She stressed that she doesn''t want it to raise as much as some other settings.
She not a fan of big stones on her fingers.. Maybe cause she''s a little one herself :razz:

Definitely one option I can sympathize with - especially for a ring that will be worn often.

The type of setting is often called "Lucida" after Tiffany''s, hence the confusion. The DVatche X prong, Whiteflsh'' W prong are versions and all three styles (including the U-prong you also mentioned) can be slightly tweaked a bit higher or lower. Since these are open settings (leave the sides of the stone relatively open to catch light), I would guess they would not hinder brilliance a bit.

Fingers crossed for ring shopping !
1.gif

Chef

Rough_Rock
Great Info.
Thank You..
And I''ll post back when I get a ideal scope pic!
-Chef

Chef

Rough_Rock
iceb1739.JPG

iceb1739-1.JPG

I wasn''t able to get an ideal shot. But here''s info on the stone.
I''ll see if I can get one this weekend after it gets looked at.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results