shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on 1.9 carat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyingelvis

Rough_Rock

Hi. You guys are great.

I put down a refundable down payment yesterday on a stone, and I’d like your thoughts. The specs are:
1.9 carat round brilliant
G
SI1 (the salesman said it was an “SI1+++”)
62.8% depth
57% table
7.84-7.87 diameter
AGS000
excellent polish
excellent symmetry
slightly thick-thick girdle
$15,750.

I love everything about the diamond except the depth and girdle. Because of the depth/girdle, I realize I’m paying for a 1.9 carat even though it looks like a 1.8-1.85 from the top. But I’m ok with that, since the cut is still ideal. My specific questions are:

1. Is the slightly thick-thick girdle a hazard? Will it make the diamond more likely to come out of the setting? (I think I’m going to get a 6 prong setting)
2. Is the price reasonable? I don’t mind if it’s a little high; I just want to make sure it’s reasonable.

I need to make a final decision Wednesday 2/23. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Would that be the one that comes up in Blue Nile search???? If so, price is a few hundred cheaper here....since most listed vendors offer some kind of discount for Pricescope shoppers.....
(Run search w/search function at top of pricescope page......)...Good luck!!!
1.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Did you look at the grading report? If the diamond is the one online, you can view the report to see the types and positions of inclusions....also, did you happen to ask for crown angle and pavilion angle?

flyingelvis

Rough_Rock
The diamond, MY diamond, is the same one on bluenile.com. How could this be??? I saw my diamond in person at a Virginia place. My down payment is supposed to be holding it.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible it is just VERY similar (similar specs?)...or did you see the grading report and recognize it???? There are threads on here re: vendors list diamonds they don''t actually have "in House"....when you inquire, they call them in and look at them or send them to you (or it''s a good idea to send them to a trusted appraisor you hire to have the diamond looked over to be sure it is what they say...) Search this site for threads on "vendors selling same stones" to get explanation of the process.......

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2005 5:33
6.gif
5 PM
Author:flyingelvis

Hi. You guys are great.

I put down a refundable down payment yesterday on a stone, and I’d like your thoughts. The specs are:
1.9 carat round brilliant
G
SI1 (the salesman said it was an “SI1+++”)
62.8% depth
57% table
7.84-7.87 diameter
AGS000
excellent polish
excellent symmetry
slightly thick-thick girdle
$15,750.

I love everything about the diamond except the depth and girdle. Because of the depth/girdle, I realize I’m paying for a 1.9 carat even though it looks like a 1.8-1.85 from the top. But I’m ok with that, since the cut is still ideal. My specific questions are:

1. Is the slightly thick-thick girdle a hazard? Will it make the diamond more likely to come out of the setting? (I think I’m going to get a 6 prong setting)
2. Is the price reasonable? I don’t mind if it’s a little high; I just want to make sure it’s reasonable.

I need to make a final decision Wednesday 2/23. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

is this a GIA cert stone ? have you seen the sarin report ? how do you know it''s an AGS 000?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not really a crime to call it whatever (AGS0 - in this case), but there must be some reason why this one didn''t go to AGS to get the pedigree upfront. It would not make any difference if the polish of symetry was the thing, but it may make some difference (and not in the good sense) if the proportions are nowhere "ideal" - or tuned to produce top brilliance.

Is there any way test brilliance or at least obtain those crown and pavilion angles ?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2005 6:10:42 PM
Author: flyingelvis
The diamond, MY diamond, is the same one on bluenile.com. How could this be??? I saw my diamond in person at a Virginia place. My down payment is supposed to be holding it.
This is your diamond, your vendor has access to the same diamonds that Blue Nile & any other vendor sells. These are drop shipped meaning that they get sent to a B&M or online vendor & is "held" by the vendor until sold. Meaning, the vendor does not own the diamond but is holding it in their showroom hoping to sell it. If they don''t sell it, they have to send it back. So if for example someone wanted to purchase it through Blue Nile, your store in Virginia will be contacted & if you haven''t bought it your Virginia store would have to send it back to the customer who wants to buy it from Blue Nile. It sounds complicated but its not. It''s just not profitable for jewelry stores to own everything in their inventory. It would be carrying a lot of risk & expense as diamonds do not move as quickly as say some other commodity like clothes, groceries, etc.

flyingelvis

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help. I think when I viewed the diamond, he did have documentation saying that it was AGS000 (is that what the Sarin report is?). I will definitely ask for that on my next visit; same goes for the crown and pavillion angles.

Questions
1. How do I know if the diamond is ideal based on the angles? (sorry if this is a dense question)
2. One of my original questions: Will the slightly thick-thick girdle increase the chances that the diamond will fall out of the setting? (in my mind, a thick girdle wouldn''t be able to squeeze as tightly into the setting as a medium girdle)

Thanks again.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2005 8:54
6.gif
6 AM
Author: flyingelvis
Thanks for all the help. I think when I viewed the diamond, he did have documentation saying that it was AGS000 (is that what the Sarin report is?). I will definitely ask for that on my next visit; same goes for the crown and pavillion angles.

Questions
1. How do I know if the diamond is ideal based on the angles? (sorry if this is a dense question)
2. One of my original questions: Will the slightly thick-thick girdle increase the chances that the diamond will fall out of the setting? (in my mind, a thick girdle wouldn''t be able to squeeze as tightly into the setting as a medium girdle)

Thanks again.
Taking point by point... as much as I know to answer...

#0. Is SARIN evidence of AGS000 - technically NO, ''cause only AGS can apply that label, but SARIN gives the all important crown and pavilion angles... which make up allot of the AGS cut grading anyway.

#1. What angles are "ideal": Use the "Cut Adviser" (found under "Tools" on top of this page). It gives a score of 2 or below for what combinations of crown & pavilion angles work, and indicates which sets of proportions are compatible with AGS0.

#2. Never heard of this... When a diamond is set grooves are cut into the blank pongs to fit the girdle exactly.

Hope this helps
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results