shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought on this stone - Australian Sapphire?

susan_a

Rough_Rock
Ive been looking for a nice Australian parti sapphire to set into a ring (daily wear, not an e-ring though).

Ive just found this one and would be keen for thoughts please :)
icm_fullxfull.373154444_gs5256ztmrk0wggcs844.jpg icm_fullxfull.373154572_nz6toswqm74kko0go40o.jpg

susan_a

Rough_Rock
I like the colour but not really the cut, it seems rather less sparkly inside, probably due to a window.

Would you count this as a large or bad window?
I struggle to imagine how stones will look when they are set

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a link to a ring with an Australian sapphire which is quite comparable in colour but I won’t consider to have a window. You can compare how it looks from different angles.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
all four photos that are face up have complete or almost complete glare on the table facet that obscures a lot!
the pavilion is off kilter so most likely you’ll see a tilt window one direction of viewing more than another direction.
im thinking if you can see different photos without that glare on the table facet - would help you evaluate better whether the window that is there bothers you or not.

as far as other thoughts on the stone - I feel it’s always relative to what the budget is.
Keep in mind the size of the stone in real life compared to the relative size of the window in real life, to judge that window. Not macro photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect a window due to the fact the photos are only showing glare on the table. Vendors often truly use this photography trick to disguise windows.

susan_a

Rough_Rock
I suspect a window due to the fact the photos are only showing glare on the table. Vendors often truly use this photography trick to disguise windows.

Thank you, Ive asked for another photo with no glare :)

susan_a

Rough_Rock
all four photos that are face up have complete or almost complete glare on the table facet that obscures a lot!
the pavilion is off kilter so most likely you’ll see a tilt window one direction of viewing more than another direction.
im thinking if you can see different photos without that glare on the table facet - would help you evaluate better whether the window that is there bothers you or not.

as far as other thoughts on the stone - I feel it’s always relative to what the budget is.
Keep in mind the size of the stone in real life compared to the relative size of the window in real life, to judge that window. Not macro photos.

This stone is what I believe to be well priced? Keen for your thoughts - its 1.15ct and priced at USD$195 per carat

susan_a

Rough_Rock
68BAFC3B-5DD8-442E-B5F3-EDB66671249B.jpeg This is a big window, isn’t it? :(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, very large window. I’d pass.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s sizeable, yes.
also think you’d be hard pressed to find a stone with a lesser /no window issue and a decent bi /parti color without going muddy, at this size and price.

susan_a

Rough_Rock
I think it’s sizeable, yes.
also think you’d be hard pressed to find a stone with a lesser /no window issue and a decent bi /parti color without going muddy, at this size and price.

What would you do if it was a stone for you?

ETA - would you still consider it?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would you do if it was a stone for you?

ETA - would you still consider it?
no, I think I’d keep looking.
I might drop mastercut gems a line to see if they happened to have any bicolor/parti/zoned peacocks that’s not listed in my price range.

is Australian /dark a priority?
do you need a calibrated size for the mounting?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this sapphire from this Etsy seller? I have not bought from him before but he is a gem cutter in Sydney and is clearing his stocks as he plans to stop cutting stones. He has a number of Aussie sapphires.

https://etsy.me/3ledMPc

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Will certainly look black in almost all lights IMO

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I actually HAVE a bicolour sapphire - it’s from Sri Lanka not Australia. It’s also in that very dark colour you seem to be attracted to.
It’s a very well cut stone and it’s unheated. It’s just not my colour preference (I like light toned stones) so I’ve never done anything with it.
6D451167-26DA-4724-B72A-D6D84D727EAA.jpeg 52517368-81DE-4382-B1A6-A633CD6FFF5F.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results